Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

anyone have this starting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine is actually being a punk as of one week ago i have to use a crow bar to tap the starter once i tap it it will start everytime do you know what that problem is
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM

i had the same problem on my 91 u gotta take the pass side wheel off and access the starter from there u need a 2 foot extention to get the bolts out you will need two STARTER CONTACT KITS from toyota partsales.com like 15 ea once you change those charge ur battery clean everything truck will start like it was brand new
took me 1 hour to take the starter out fyi
Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Just fixed my 92 last night.
After replacing my contacts a few weeks ago the problem came back. After closer inspection of the POSITIVE cable from the battery i noticed a bit of corrosion at the end of the wire jacket, and wiggling the wire produced dust and some busted strands. This is why the OP noticed that after tugging on some wires the truck would start. this is because you are actually creating better contact by disturbing the corrosion that has been migrating further into the wire jacket and creating resistance on the battery cable.
I am going to try and waterproof the cable lug at the starter side to hopefully slow this process down in the future. It isn't helping things since every puddle you drive thru throws water onto the starter and cable lug.
This worked for me, and a cable is a cheap fix, i would still replace the contacts while you are messing about in that area.

RB
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM

wow if you are payin $15 a contact let me know i sell the 2 contacts and a new plunger ass. for $25 and it would cost about $4 to send them any where in the US. as for the corrosion there is a rubber boot that goes over that end and seals it tight i have those to let me know.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM

Yeah when i did mine im pretty sure the two contacts were less than 5 bucks
Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by logsurfer
how many miles on your rig?

if it's over 100k, i would bet my money on it.

@max:
my part nos and your part nos should be the same, i think i posted mine.

Remove the skidplate to make room.
PB Blast those bolts!
and try not to cuss a lot while doing it.

the squeak might be coming from the drive belts. got vaseline?

260k miles, and what are u betting ur money on ? the starter or solenoid? do u have any pics or links or anything? and as far as the drive belts, is it ok to oil them? i dont know which belt it is either
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Just fixed my 92 last night.
After replacing my contacts a few weeks ago the problem came back. After closer inspection of the POSITIVE cable from the battery i noticed a bit of corrosion at the end of the wire jacket, and wiggling the wire produced dust and some busted strands. This is why the OP noticed that after tugging on some wires the truck would start. this is because you are actually creating better contact by disturbing the corrosion that has been migrating further into the wire jacket and creating resistance on the battery cable.
I am going to try and waterproof the cable lug at the starter side to hopefully slow this process down in the future. It isn't helping things since every puddle you drive thru throws water onto the starter and cable lug.
This worked for me, and a cable is a cheap fix, i would still replace the contacts while you are messing about in that area.

RB
sounds good, ill check my cables again, but where was it corroded at? the end towards the batter or the end opposite? and as for replacing the contacts, how hard was that? i've never done it b4 but plann on doing it myself
Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bak3rme
sounds good, ill check my cables again, but where was it corroded at? the end towards the batter or the end opposite? and as for replacing the contacts, how hard was that? i've never done it b4 but plann on doing it myself
the starter side of the cable was corroded the most, and it wasn't that obvious until i started pushing/peeling back the wire jacket.

contacts were easy, there are a few links on the forum, i found this pretty quick
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/

hope that helps

RBx
Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM

Just for an alternative option, Rockauto.com has a complete new starter for $47. Hard to beleive it can be sold for that cheap but there it is. No core charge either. That's for an AT, the cheapest for a manual is $70.
I only suggest this as your rig is getting on in age and an additional ~$20-50 over new contacts can get you a complete turnkey setup that includes the connector which can corrode also. Not to mention the time savings in scrubbing the contacts and plunger and everything else.
I suppose it just depends how much your time is worth.
Hope this helps.