Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anybody retrofit e-locker rear on 2002 4Runner with ATRAC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody retrofit e-locker rear on 2002 4Runner with ATRAC?

I'm sick of searching so here goes...

Has anybody actually added the 3rd gen e-locker to the 2001/02 3rd gen with ATRAC? I read a thread where it was thought that perhaps you could swap the whole e-lock axle assembly over and ATRAC would be cool as long as it was an ABS equipped e-lock axle assembly. Can anybody answer definitively on this or point me somewhere that can?

I understand that you can mod the housing and add the third (I've seen all the write-ups around on this mod), but I want to make it stupid-easy and just swap the whole assembly.

What about differences/similarities between the Taco rears and Runner rears? Are they bolt-on swappable? Where can i find info on that?

I come from the Land Cruiser world, so my knowledge on Tacos and Runners is limited.

-Ferg-
Old 09-16-2008, 04:23 PM

the mod to fit the e-locker in a non e-locker axle is already stupid easy...you just shave it a bit. faster and cheaper than replacing a whole axle assembly and you don't have to worry about messing with the ATRAC system.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 AM

Gee. Thanks. I know. Now if anyone can actually reply in regards to any of my questions, that'd be much appreciated.

-Ferg-
Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 AM

ferg - Tacoma/4Runner rears are not bolt-on swappable. Only reason is that Tacoma's use leafs and 4Runners use coils. But other than that, it's all the same.

Also, why are you looking to do a swap instead of going ARB? Just curious.

And on a side note, the ATRAC system was not that impressive to me. I had an 02 Sport Edition and in certain situations, the ATRAC almost got me killed. I think the ATRAC in the new FJ's are much more aggressive (better).

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-17-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll be able to answer this qiestion in a month or so. I have a 2001 with ATRAC I'm in the process of buying an e-locked axle from a 97. I'll keep you up to date when the axle gets to me and I can see if a straight swap will work.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by theferg
Gee. Thanks. I know. Now if anyone can actually reply in regards to any of my questions, that'd be much appreciated.

-Ferg-
I'm just telling you there's a simpler way to get the same results. There's no reason to be a dick about it
Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked into doing this very mod on my '02 a while back. Here's a few points I learned along the way:

ATRAC is not an issue with an e-locker...nor is it an issue with any locker for that fact. Plenty of guys here are running ARB air lockers in their '02s and have zero issues doing so.

You cannot just swap the e-locked axle over to your '02. Bracketry is different between the '02 and earlier axles. (I'd probably have done this mod, had this not been the case. A simple axle sway would be great.)

Your only option is to remove the e-locker diff from the donor axle and install it in your '02 axle. Of course, your '02 diff opening will need to be widened a bit to clearance the new e-lock diff. This can be easily be done, but it must be done precisely or your diff will leak. (If you've read all the e-locker installs floating around the net, then I'm sure you know what I mean when I say "clearancing the diff.")

I had the chance to pick up an e-locker, wiring and all the other misc stuff for it + having it installed for half the price an ARB + install would run me in my neck of the woods. But I passed on it, b/c I didn't feel like dealing with all the hassle of getting it installed. Plus with the age of the unit itself, I'd prefer to go with a new unit instead.

Knowing what I know now, an ARB air locker is the better choice for my situation. Granted it's pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Good luck if you decide to go thru with this mod. Who knows, if you decide to do it and it turns out great, I might reconsider
Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

OK, I've just completed the swap of a 97 LTD axle into my 2001, with ATRAC. The brackets on the 01 axle are very slightly different than the 97 axle, but there is only one bracket to swap, which is a lot easier then modifying the housing to fit the e-locker. Pics are here showing the differece in the brake lines, and the bracket that has to be moved. Modifying the 97 axle to fit the bracket is simple, 2 holes have to be drilled in the driver side upper control arm mounting bracket. One for a locating tab and one for a bolt.

The first 2 pics show the difference in the brake lines, the 97 has both sides coming from a common connector above the diff, the 01 has only the passenger side from this. On the 01 the driver side line is seperate, attaching to the aforementioned bracket.

Name:  DSCN1358.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1359.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  18.2 KB

This next pic shows the bracket that has to be moved, shown by the red arrow. The blue arrows shoe the locating tab and bolt, holes have to be drilled on the 97 axle for these.

Name:  Bracket.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  18.4 KB

Drill the 2 holes in the raised oval section shown in this pic, and bolt the bracket on. The 01 axle has a nut welded inside the control arm bracket, if you want to get fancy you could do this. I just held a nut inside with some pliers and tightened the bolt.

Name:  DSCN1364.jpg
Views: 2229
Size:  23.8 KB

That is the only thing that has to be changed, the passenger side brake line, the e-brake, the wheel speed sensors and all the control arm mounting brackets are identical.

Last edited by eric-the-red; 10-13-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Nice work . Glad to see it was that simple. You definitely have me reconsidering it.

To wire it, did you have all the oem elocker wiring or did you just make your own wiring and use an aftermarket toggle switch?

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-13-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Nice work . Glad to see it was that simple. You definitely have me reconsidering it.

To wire it, did you have all the oem elocker wiring or did you just make your own wiring and use an aftermarket toggle switch?
I got all the wiring from the donor vehicle, including the switch and ecu. Make it very easy.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
I got all the wiring from the donor vehicle, including the switch and ecu. Make it very easy.
Awesome.

Again nice job.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks,
Todays plan it to get the front diff swapped over, then hopefully go out and try my new 'magic button'. The new axles are 4.30 gears so that should match better with the 33s than my old 3.73 ones.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

I agree, the jump from 3.73 (as you say you have) to 4.30s, will definitely be beneficial.

However, I thought 3.90 gears were the lowest numerical value offered in a 3rd gen? (This is a common gear set in 2wd 4Runners.) Plus your 4Runner is 4wd...are you sure you don't have 4.10s instead? I didn't think Toyota offered a 3rd Gen in 4wd w/ something less than 4.10s...

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-14-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

According to the dealer I have the 3.73, from the VIN. Maybe it's a special Canadian thing. I guess now that the axle is out I should check for sure.

Anyway even if the gears didn't change much I have the locker now, so all the work was worth it.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
According to the dealer I have the 3.73, from the VIN. Maybe it's a special Canadian thing. I guess now that the axle is out I should check for sure.

Anyway even if the gears didn't change much I have the locker now, so all the work was worth it.
Could be a Canadian thing, but I would double check for sure. That seems like an awfully low gear set for an '01 4wd 4Runner. Minimum I've ever heard of is 4.10 out of a 4wd...especially for an '01.

Regardless, I agree the locker was def worth it too, bust just in case you decided to sell some your oem gears, you'd definitely want to confirm that gear size.

I guess you'll find out real quick too once you get everything finished and test drive it. See if you notice the truck not having to work as hard as it did before to pull those 33s .

Have you done the grey wire mod so the locker can be activated to operate in 2wd?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Have you done the grey wire mod so the locker can be activated to operate in 2wd?
It's actually a blue/red wire in the wiring I got from the 97, I don't know if all 4Runners use that colour or not. I had to cut the wire anyway to get the locker wiring separated from the rest of the harness so I didn't see any point of connecting it again. So the locker will work in 2wd. I haven't decided what to do with the wire that usually connects to the speedometer yet. Factory lockers use that to only allow engaging below 5 mph. I'm sure I'll mostly be stopped when engaging the locker anyway. I'll probably connect it just as a safety thing, don't want my wife or daughter to accidently push the button on the highway some day
Old 10-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

That's kewl. Makes sense that you could do it that easily since everything was already out. An elocker in 2wd is always a bonus.

I agree on the safety wire...I'd hate to see what happens if someone mistakenly pushed that button while driving down the hwy
Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 AM

Heck I didn't even know 4Runners came with ATRAC, or are you referring to vsc?
I though only the FJ's started coming with it.
Aaron
Old 10-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Heck I didn't even know 4Runners came with ATRAC, or are you referring to vsc?
I though only the FJ's started coming with it.
Aaron
Correct. '01 & '02 3rd Gens only have VSC & TRAC...not ATRAC.

Probably just a typo.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-15-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:22 PM

Correct. '01 & '02 3rd Gens only have VSC & TRAC...not ATRAC.

Probably just a typo.
A hah I knew I knew what I Knew!

Aaron

Quick Reply: Anybody retrofit e-locker rear on 2002 4Runner with ATRAC?