Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anybody Have a 2003 V8 with Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Anybody Have a 2003 V8 with Charger?

Hi all, new to this forum. I have a 99 Limited Runner (Charged, TRD Headers, CAT, TRD Brakes, intake... etc) with 120K on it now and thinking of moving out of it before it starts costing me some money. I am talking to the dealers in my area about the Charger on the V8 and they have not installed a single one on a 4Runner. I am hesitant to be the first guy on the proverbial block especially on a new body & engine style for this model. Has anybody had the Charger installed?

Thanks for you time!

Tom.
Cool board, big step up from the old Vmag!
Old 08-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Have you driven the new V8? It screams with instant power and torque. You might not need a blower?
Old 08-21-2003, 03:45 AM

IIRC, the 2003 V8 is rated about 7.5 seconds 0 to 60. I agree with Sac State, you might not need a supercharger on it. Torque off the line is great. Response understandably slows down over 70 mph (lots of wind resistance).
Old 08-21-2003, 07:10 AM

Smile Test drive of V8

Ya, I drove it and it was nice but it didn't kick me in the pants like my 99 does. I even had my wife follow me so that we could compare the two back to back for feel and power. My 99 just walked away from the new V8 right off the line so I think "if" I go its going to have to have the blower but maybe I can go without the CAT & Headers this time..... for a while anyway :-)

Tom
Old 08-27-2003, 11:44 AM

Smile

I've decided to sell my 99 and go into a new 4th gen V8 with a charger on it. I've spoken two people with a Tundra and a Sequoia both Charged and they claim zero issue's with the trucks (same 4.7 V8). Does anybody know when the 2004 model is shipping? Next decision is to wait for the 2004 model or go with the 03.

I've checked Axis & American Racing for 20 inch truck rims but haven't found anything I like so far; anybody know of any other manufactures of mags for the 4Runner in that size range?
(not looking for chrome)
for the record this will be my 4th 4 Runner!
Old 08-27-2003, 12:02 PM

don't listen to these guys . . . you need the charger on that V8 . . . if you have the funds, why not? the question isn't a matter of whether it's NECESSARY, but rather WHY NOT if it's available? it is mostly an issue of funds for most people, but if resources aren't an issue . . . .

by the way, my 4runner destroys stock V8 tundras . . . haven't been up against a new 4runner yet, though.

check out tundrasolutions.com for complete writeups and analyses on the V8 supercharger - it's in a tundra, of course, but the main points will apply to you. there have been many issues, mostly over the 9th injector supplied by TRD. i think most of the issues have been addressed so far. JBL makes headers and exhaust for the V8 as well . . . so keep that in mind!

sorry i'm such a bad influence

creed
Old 08-27-2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by cstary
don't listen to these guys . . . you need the charger on that V8 . . . if you have the funds, why not? the question isn't a matter of whether it's NECESSARY, but rather WHY NOT if it's available? it is mostly an issue of funds for most people, but if resources aren't an issue . . . .

creed
Totally agree! Much of what we do to our trucks aren't neccessary but we do it anyways. Why? Because it's fun!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Do a search on this board, TOR, who is with Toyota of Richardson, has advised against the charger on the V8 used in the 4Runner. There is a different emmission (??) control somethingofamabob that makes the engine run lean. This lean problem supposedly only applies to the 4Runner V8, Tundra and Sequoia V8 are fine. I would check it out more, if it turns out to be different, get one! I think it would be sweet to have a charger on my V8.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:32 AM

Smile

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm going to wait for the 2004 model as it's almost out and I still have to find a new home for my 99 4Runner anyway.

cstray: any specs on performance gains of JBL headers? I had my charger for over a year before adding the TRD headers on my 99 and it made quite a difference. I couldn't find any spec's on the headers with the 4.7 and the charger installed. Does TRD have any plans for headers on the 4.7? I have had exposure to other headers with my GM V8's that I have and you really don't want to cheap out on them. The fit on the TRD headers was quite good on my V6 so I would prefer to stay with at least this gauge. I was also checking for a boost gauge on TRD site and there isn't one yet?

Tom
Old 09-05-2003, 09:12 AM

any boost gauge will work, including the 3.4 TRD one. it's just a spring connected to an analog gauge - nothing special.

so, it's JBA - not JBL. i must have have music equipment on the brain. anyhow, the JBA headers look great to me. they make them for the 3.4, now, and they are about the same price as the TRD's. not that price always equals quality, but these seem like the genuine article, with a unique design. in fact, JBA makes the TRD headers for tundra already . . .

i would contact JBA and ask them directly. as always, you will realize a much greater benefit from headers if you have a forced induction system.

creed
Old 09-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

I say go for the V8 and supercharge it. Everytime I get something that adds power to either of my vehicles, I always wonder if I can get a little more power.

I am addicted to making my vehicles faster!!

If you are anything like me, you will get board of the stock V8 and want more power.

Are you going to part out your 99 before you sell it?
Old 09-05-2003, 10:38 AM

Tried to push a pic but it was too big, I'll try again
Attached Thumbnails Anybody Have a 2003 V8 with Charger?-pic1-small.jpg