Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

amp/sub install

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amp/sub install

Hello everyone. I'm new to the 4 Runner community, i just bought a black '94 3.0 automatic. I like it so far and i'm sure it will be a great truck, but anyway, onto the subject matter. I put in a new headunit already and i'm ready to put in an amp and sub. I've torn some of the dash apart already looking for an ideal spot to run the amp power wire. I believe it's awg 6 or 4 wire, i forget, but is there any good spot to run a big wire like that to the battery? I saw the grommets on either side of the engine bay but they look like a pain to get to from the inside of the truck. And also are there any good places for the amp ground too? Thanks any suggestions would be appreciated.

ian
Old 05-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

When I ran mine, rather than going from under the dash through the firewall, I ran it through the firewall and into the cab. It's easier to find the hole that way.

I found a hole with a plug in it that didn't have any wires going through it. It was on the driver's side, but close to the center of the vehicle.

I ran the power cable from the battery along to the hole in the firewall, which basically comes out behind the center console inside the rig. I then loosened the center console and ran the wire under the console between the seats. I cut a small hole in the carpet and ran the power under the carpet to the spot where I mounted the amp under the seat.

There are two decent places to ground your amp. Since I installed mine under the passenger seat, I just ran the ground to one of the bolts holding the seat in. The other would be one of the seat bolts (or seat belt bolts) on the back seat, if you plan to mount your amp in the cargo area.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum!! What part of PA you from?
Old 05-15-2003, 01:49 PM

When I fitted my second battery I put a heavy guage cable into the cab to a fusebox, I went through the grommet on the passenger side into the passenger footwell behind the glove box.

See here for details/pics:
http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/wor...ry.htm#battery
Old 05-15-2003, 04:15 PM

Thanks it's good to be a part of this community. I'm from eastern PA about 40 mins below Allentown, or about an hour above Philly.

Well thanks for the suggestions, but soon after I posted I found someone's website who had done it :pat: . So i ended up using the driver's side grommet, it wasn't as hard to get to as i had originally thought. And I used the seat bolt that bolts the seat down for the ground like one of you suggested. Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:56 PM

Here's a tip. When you run your RCA's, run them on the opposite side. They like to pick up interference. If you HAVE to cross the wires, always cross at 90 degree angles.

And when you ground, always ground as close to the amp as possible.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:09 AM

Ground to

Go through the gromet... you'll need a razor but that's the best place I found. For grounding, I sand-papered the paint off of the frame under the rear seat belt mounts. It's easy, convenient, hidden, out of the way, a good solid grounding point, away from moisture, and if you're mounting the amp in the back it's close too.

Zach
Old 05-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

For your 2nd Gen run it through the grommet on the drivers side. The rubber grommet is about 2 inches in diameter and is right below and to the outside of the brake resovior. Just poke a hole in it with a phillips screwdriver and shove your wire through. Look under the dash right up under your clutch pedal (or where your's would be) and you should see it coming through. After that run it behind the kick panel and then under the door sills to the back. You can easily run the RCA wire under the glove box and down the opposite kickpanel and to the back under the door sills. It's easy to hide.