Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Amber Hella 500's

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amber Hella 500's

I ran a search and couldn't find anything useful about the amber fogs. Anyone actually running them? How do they do in low vis situations? Anyone seen them in bad weather compared to the clear ones? I know some folks claim yellow is worse than clear in fog, but I've always run yellow on other vehicles and its been better than just headlights. Also has anyone found the 500 fogs to be of any actual use in fog since they mount at or above headlight level? Thanks all
Aaron
Old 11-06-2003, 05:22 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Amber Hella 500's

Originally posted by AFRunner
I ran a search and couldn't find anything useful about the amber fogs. Anyone actually running them? How do they do in low vis situations? Anyone seen them in bad weather compared to the clear ones? I know some folks claim yellow is worse than clear in fog, but I've always run yellow on other vehicles and its been better than just headlights. Also has anyone found the 500 fogs to be of any actual use in fog since they mount at or above headlight level? Thanks all
Aaron
Aaron,

I just got some Hella 500 white fogs and I am going to bumper mount them this Saturday. I drive in very think fog almost every morning as I work close to a major river in Alabama. I will be able to let you know something next week just how well white fog lights mounted at headlight level actually work. If these don't work, I guess I'll have to try amber myself.

Bamachem I know has fogs on his rig bumper mounted, but he's been out of town, so maybe he'll chime in later.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:25 AM

thanks Brian
Old 11-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

I just installed white 550 fogs just under the bumper with a little trimming of the valance and have gotten a fair amount of use in the last week and they work great and really lighten up the sides of the road nicely. I get good visibilty in driving snow also.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:21 PM

Thanks Driver. How much trimming did it take? No one else with any input on the 500's? I've got a grill guard, which will be swapped for an ARB in the next year or so, so I'm really leaning toward the 500's
Old 11-07-2003, 09:57 PM

I'm not sure if this reply will be useful or not but I used to run amber PIAAs at headlight level on a Ford Ranger and they kicked butt in the fog. I am now running clear Hella 500s on a Westin Safari bar just below headlight level on a Tacoma and so far they are OK. They definetley add to the overall visibility but they pale in comparison to the PIAAs in terms of overall brightness. I really haven't had 'em on long enough to judge how they perform in foul weather as we haven't seen much fog this fall. But for the price ($70) they were hard to beat and IMO they are adequate for 95% of the situations I'll encouter. I did read a lot of opinions before I got them that white is better than amber but I don't know... to each his own.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Amber Hella 500's

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Aaron,

I just got some Hella 500 white fogs and I am going to bumper mount them this Saturday. I drive in very think fog almost every morning as I work close to a major river in Alabama. I will be able to let you know something next week just how well white fog lights mounted at headlight level actually work. If these don't work, I guess I'll have to try amber myself.

Bamachem I know has fogs on his rig bumper mounted, but he's been out of town, so maybe he'll chime in later.

Brian, Where did you get your Hella's? I have been looking around at different lights on the web, but wasn't sure if anybody had the locally.

Of course, after you get yours mounted....... ......
Old 11-08-2003, 02:55 AM
Contributing Member

I think the 500s would fit under the bumper better as my 550s do stick out a little bit but I only needed to trim the slats from the valance right under the two bolt holes already in the bumper.

I also ponied up an extra $25 for clear stone shields for the fogs and hopefully they will keep me from having to replace a broken fog prematurely.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
I just installed white 550 fogs just under the bumper with a little trimming of the valance and have gotten a fair amount of use in the last week and they work great and really lighten up the sides of the road nicely. I get good visibilty in driving snow also.
Hey can you show us a pic of what they look like? And how you mounted them down there? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Amber Hella 500's

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Aaron,

Nevermind........I already saw them on your truck they look really good. I saw you around 3 pm crossing Hwy 31 on Valleydale. I would have turn around but the light was about to change.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:59 PM
rjm

hella 500

i have been running them for a couple of years- i am happy with them. actually last week, while washing my tacoma- i noticed one of the lamps at cracked!! i emailed hella and they sent me a new one, no questions asked!! i had it in 4 days!!! i have mine mounted on my bumper
Old 11-08-2003, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Ive got the 500 fogs on my tjm and for what I use them for, they work great. I don't have much foggy weather, so I don't have enough experience to comment there. I'm impressed with the time I use them though. I need to get another lens too, I noticed it was cracked the other day. Is there an email address or phone number? I just got 4 Driving lights mounted on my roof so I think I'm set when it gets dark, no matter how dark it is