Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Amber 7440 bulbs

Old 12-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amber 7440 bulbs

Anyone know where i can get amber 7440 bulbs for my tail lights? I got clears and I found "xenon" red 7443 for my break lights but i need the 7440 for my turn signals and cant find them at the local auto zone or advanced auto.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:06 PM

Why don't you just use the stock bulbs? They are so much brighter with the clear tails for some reason.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Why don't you see if they can order them for you? I haven't had any luck finding ordinary clear dual filament 7443 bulbs for the tails myself, only the red ones and they're not as bright. From what I've heard we are the only application for these bulbs, so maybe it's the same for the 7440's. (I think the new Civics actually have them on second thought.) I contemplated checking the Toy dealer even though I'll pay a mint, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe check them out as well.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

I would use the stock bulbs but since they are white its illegal. I would like to find an amber 7440 bulb so the state poopers wont give me a ticket for white turn signals
Old 12-03-2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
Why don't you see if they can order them for you? I haven't had any luck finding ordinary clear dual filament 7443 bulbs for the tails myself, only the red ones and they're not as bright. From what I've heard we are the only application for these bulbs, so maybe it's the same for the 7440's. (I think the new Civics actually have them on second thought.) I contemplated checking the Toy dealer even though I'll pay a mint, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe check them out as well.
I can get clear ordinary 7443 for like $9cdn at my local store, if you need a couple, PM me.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:23 PM

I guess since our Runners came with amber 'caps' clear is all they make. I was suprized NAPA does'nt carry them. I used a Japan yellow bulb spray for my rear turn sigs and they look good...brighter than amber but still legal looking. I found amber bulbs at the speed shop I buy my red dual filament tail bulbs from. They are the Japan colored glass so they never flake off. About 8 bucks each.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by butnut
I guess since our Runners came with amber 'caps' clear is all they make. I was suprized NAPA does'nt carry them. I used a Japan yellow bulb spray for my rear turn sigs and they look good...brighter than amber but still legal looking. I found amber bulbs at the speed shop I buy my red dual filament tail bulbs from. They are the Japan colored glass so they never flake off. About 8 bucks each.
I can't seem to get a hold of the colored glass red bulbs in 7443 applications, how are they? Are they pitch red?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Mine look pretty good. I like them alright i just need the amber ones now
Old 12-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vato Loco
I can't seem to get a hold of the colored glass red bulbs in 7443 applications, how are they? Are they pitch red?
That's kinda funny that I'm the exact opposite. How 'bout we swap a pair of clear for a pair of red?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Vato Loco
I painted my clears (lower part) kandy red to look legal. The stock clears made my light look pinkish...so I use the Japan reds. The glass is a very dark red, but when lit up, looks a little light..works good for me with my painted lens...maybe LED is the way to go, but I have'nt heard any straight answers about those yet. The amber bulbs are used for my annual 'safety check' which is this month...all my hyper bulbs, clear lens are swapped out for stock to pass...one day they will do away with this worthless system here.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

When I had my clears I tried APC's red LED's and they didn't work for me. They fit in the housing just fine but only worked with the brake lights, not the running lights. I sent them back and got a new set, but same deal. It said they were dual filament but who knows. I thought maybe it was something to do with the different harness so I tried them in my stock taillights and I couldn't even get them to stay in the socket.

Besides that, LED's don't really throw the light around the lens so you'll just get a red dot. Doesn't seem very safe or attractive IMO.

Last edited by Toyota Punk; 12-04-2003 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
When I had my clears I tried APC's red LED's and they didn't work for me. They fit in the housing just fine but only worked with the brake lights, not the running lights. I sent them back and got a new set, but same deal. It said they were dual filament but who knows. I thought maybe it was something to do with the different harness so I tried them in my stock taillights and I couldn't even get them to stay in the socket.

Besides that, LED's don't really throw the light around the lens so you'll just get a red dot. Doesn't seem very safe or attractive IMO.
I was considering LED's but then I found the XENON red bulbs and they work great. I just replaced mine about a week ago, they lasted me about 6months with no fading at all. Only reason I replaced them because I dropped one of the bulbs when I was removing the OEM tails and scratch the bulb, it emitted a pinkish light after that.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vato Loco
I was considering LED's but then I found the XENON red bulbs and they work great. I just replaced mine about a week ago, they lasted me about 6months with no fading at all. Only reason I replaced them because I dropped one of the bulbs when I was removing the OEM tails and scratch the bulb, it emitted a pinkish light after that.
Does anyone still need 7440's in amber? I can get them.

Loco, where did you find the XENON red bulbs for the brake lights?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

You can get red ones from sounddomain.com. They have all kinds of nifty bulbs
Old 09-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or get some yellow stain for glass and coat some clears with it. that's what i did since i couldn't find any amber ones either.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:07 PM
lee
Contributing Member

clear corners look bad with white bulbs, just an fyi. the color never matches the headlights and it all just looks weird.

i currently hate that my clear corner amber bumbs dont match (in color) the amber from the turn signals.

but im anal like that
Old 09-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

the bulbs in my corners and headlights match perfectly.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

http://superlumination.com/7443_7440.htm
Old 09-21-2004, 04:04 PM
lee
Contributing Member

my headlights are bright white, the bulbs i had in my clears gave a sort of yellow tinted white.

looked bad.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

what kind of headlight bulbs you got? i have the philips vision plus bulbs and they shipped with the blue vision (i think) corners and they match perfectly. the light is whiter than stock but not as white as hid or those blue bulbs. if you have the blue bulbs or hids the piaa superwhite corner bulbs match those pretty well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amber 7440 bulbs