Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aisin Hubs - Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aisin Hubs - Decision

I broke down my "new" hubs to clean and paint them. I removed all the retainer rings and all the parts came apart (managed to remember Victor's note about the ball and spring so I still have them). I cleaned and painted the tops satin black and the knobs red (more or less stock). They look good. And yes I know : picture pictures pictures - camera is in the order mill.
Anyway when I reassembled the first hub I could not get it to go together to free wheel. It is just lightly engaged so it appears that there is no "free wheel effect" just a locked hub.
Has anyone had this happen?
I took tihe hub back apart but could not see what I had done to change the set-up.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
DonC

Last edited by donc; 04-27-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

hmm..the dial wont turn? didnt put to much paint on them did ya? you put the spring in first right? put all the springs and stuff back together right?
Old 04-20-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you have greased it, but not too much. New gaskets/seals? If the seals are installed wrong on the dials, mkae it hard to turn them (voice of experience from my first try)
Old 04-20-2003, 07:37 PM

Sounds like you didn't have the spring/ring locked in the "free" position when you assembled them. If you will look at the dial/cap part you will see that you have to press the ring/spring part down to get it past the notch that keeps it from flying apart in the "lock" position. You have to twist that all the way until the spring is compressed into the "free" postions then reassemble with the star hub......this should solve your problem.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
198 kb Aisin hub PDF file.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/pdf/AisinHubs.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat to read this, but it shows exploded views of the system.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:53 PM

Thanks Corey,
That helps big time....
I think the big spring may be the issue.
Thanks to all that answered - it isn't that bad when you can ask and get suggestions.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Glad it helped.

I think that file was from Yankee Toy's website, I'm not sure.
I saved the file awhile back to have it, as it's pretty well detailed.

I'm not sure if a PDF can be modded, I have not tried, but if so, I"ll put the part #s to the two gaskets in there if I can mod the file.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

I bougth some gasket paper for 50c when i did mine. Just traced everything out. Helped that i had th eold star gasket, but worked a treat and saved a few bucks!
Old 04-22-2003, 05:11 PM

Now I really need help

I looked at the PDF files, I aligned the springs like the drawings show and they (both of them) still are locked hubs when I put them together.

I have tried using both hubs with the caps and knobs but it seem like there is a 16th of an inch lack of clearance. Once the cap and knob are put together and installed on the hub the teeth are engaged - lightly but still engaged making it a locked hub. This is not an issue of not being able to turn the knob - that works
OK.

The covers were not bolted down when I recieved them from YOTAYARD so I do not know if they worked then or not - lesson learned was check things out before you take them apart.

Is it paossible that the hubs and covers are not compatable?
The covers and cap/clutch are 26 spline so they should work with my IFS - could the hub be for something else?

I'm begining to despair over this set of hubs and am thinking of ordering another set from the "Toyota parts guy".

If anyone has had the same problem and found it is just the spring alignment please let me know.

Thanks,
Don C
Old 04-22-2003, 06:41 PM

toyta hubs

when you have the hub dial turned the free position turn the peice that moves in and out to engage the 4wd so it's a 1.4 inch away from the plate. when your looking at the back of the plate turn it counter clockwise. the 2 teeth on the gear should centered with the bolt holes on the dial. the solid axle dials are the same as ifs dials so that is not the problem.hope this helps. ive found out that isuzu tropper and suzuki samari aisin hub dials are exactly the same as toyota aisin dials. i'm using a suzuki one on my 82 4x4 so i don't riun a good matched set of toyota hubs i could sell. i messed the dial up real bad scraping against rocks was real hard to turn. i got a couple extra suzuki ones just for spares.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:46 PM

i could maybe fix them

if you send them to me maybe i could fix them for you and send them back. save you money over buying another set from me . i mite have a extra toyota ifs dial if they are to messed up.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:10 PM

When I opened up the hubs for maintenance after I bought my '87, the left hub was just loose parts, so I'd been off roading with 3 wheel drive. It was a challenge to figure out how the parts all fit together, I put it together many times before figuring it out. The drawing and instructions here are what I ended up doing. Best wishes, Mark
Old 04-22-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.cascadecrawlers.com/toyota/hubrebuild/
Old 04-22-2003, 08:29 PM

I just got my hubs today from yotayard. before I got into painting them i made sure to take them apart and put them back to gether so I would know how. this may seem obvious but when i put my hubs back together I did not realize that there was a bit of a flat spot that when the hub is fully free the pawl (i think thats the word) rests on. This would make up for about a 16th of an inch and it really is a fairly small amount of twist on the dial. Hope that helps, good luck.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:55 AM

Don, if you read this again, I think goatboy nailed it. There really is no room for error when you put these back together. The 1st time I re-assembled my hubs, I did the same thing to the 1st one.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:24 PM

I have an aisin hubs question....yes, they are better than Warn hubs, but don't warn hubs have a lifetime guarentee? I wouldn't mind putting in new hubs every once in a while as long as it only cost me $140 for the first set and shipping for the rest....aren't aisins like $800 new or 200 used??/
Old 04-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

I for one would hate to bust a hub while on the trail and then have to limp home in 3 wheel drive or try to change the hub on the trail (although I am keeping an old ADD plate just in case this would happen). My thinking was, why not spend around $70 installed for genuine Toyota Aisin hub and get a practically bulletproof hub instead of an aftermarket Warn that is a little less beefy?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Los Gatos?
I have an aisin hubs question....yes, they are better than Warn hubs, but don't warn hubs have a lifetime guarentee? I wouldn't mind putting in new hubs every once in a while as long as it only cost me $140 for the first set and shipping for the rest....aren't aisins like $800 new or 200 used??/

Aisin hubs will last you a lifetime. No need for a "warranty". You can find them used at junkyards, ebay, and classified ads on the net for $50-$75
Old 04-23-2003, 08:57 PM

getting less than amused with this

OK - tried all the above - even explained it all to my wife and she tried - heck I even took a hub to local 4X4 shop (Bayview) and the mechanic (who said he has an 89 4Runner with an extra set of Aisin hubs as spares) could not get the hubs to free wheel.

What next?

Old 04-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I'd show Yotayard the thread here and see if indeed they are the right hubs.

Quick Reply: Aisin Hubs - Question