Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AirBag Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirBag Warning Light

I drive a 1998 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 liter. The air bag warning light came on and won't go off. I removed the battery cable and put it back on hoping to clear some "code". But no help. Could someone help me and tell me what to do? Is there a chance of an airbag deployment while just riding down the road?

thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM

I slammed the hood and the light went off....
Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This reminds me that (if you look inside sun visor thing where warning are written) it says that there should be a scheduled maintenance for the airbag 10 years after the manufacturers date and then every 2 years afterwards....probably not connected but i just wanted to throw it out there
Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 PM

I wouldnt fool with a system like the Air bag that can save your life at any moment--I would take it in for service and make sure its ready to pop if needed. Plus like stated above, they say to have it checked at 10 years and you are very close. Evendently something is not right if you slammed the hood and it went off
Old 07-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Does anybody know why the light would come on in the first place? Mine is on and wont go away.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:42 PM

Probably a programmed reminder to take it in for it's 10 year service.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know about Toyota's programming, but GMs airbag have a default so if the airbag light is on then it will not deploy because of the fault itself. I would most definitely take it in to a dealership and have it checked out. The door slamming may either be just a fluke deal or you may have jarred some wiring in the AB system to cause a temporary reconnection. You'd be surprised that 1% of electrical problems are just loose wires. I wouldn't fool around with AB systems as far as home diagnostics. We have certain procedures in order to even service them. I'm sure Toyota does too.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 AM

2004 Tacoma Air Bag

I have a 2004 Tacoma with a salvage title. It was wrecked in the rear quarter panel and bent the frame fork. Frame has been straightened, but the air bag light stays on after startup? Connections on both bags appear to be in tact, no evidence of deployment?

I'm guessing this will ultimately mean a trip to Toyota at some point............
Old 01-07-2012, 04:40 AM

I don't know why people are so reluctant to fiddle with the SRS system. Yeah it will save your life when it goes off, but so will your brakes. No one tells you to go straight to the dealer when your brakes need changing.

sea dawg - look in the SRS section of the FSM for the location of all the parts and start wiggling cables. All the electrical connections end up in the yellow box behind the lower cigarette lighters. The sensors are in the engine compartment.

My airbag light has grown finicky with age on my 99 Taco. It comes on after I work on stuff, but not otherwise. Six months ago it came on after I was working on the stereo. I wiggled everything and it went off and stayed off until yesterday.

I found this thread because after taking the dash apart to change bulbs in the gauges my airbag light came back on. Wiggling connectors under the dash and in the steering wheel didn't do anything so I did crazy horse3030's trick and slammed the hood. That fixed it. Some harness somewhere is on its way out, but until then there's no reason to go to the dealer without trying stuff yourself. Just don't go hitting those airbag sensors with a hammer.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM

I hate an airbag light.
The following users liked this post:
Joshhua Ray (01-31-2021)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Mine turned out to be a mess. The decelleration sensor was gone from the truck, and a couple other major items. The truck was wrecked when it had 7800 miles on it, and someone tried to put it back together. They basically worked on the things they could see. It's a frankenstein truck!!! Appears that someone likely put a new cab on it, a new bed, a new right door and left front fender. So the wiring took a beating between the wreck and the cab change. I ended up at the best electrical shop in town, and parted with $2500. $1400 of it was parts, and I think they wrote off at least 10 hours of shop time.

The truck seems solid at this point, just a few nagging issues (cab interior light doesn't work, 4 different keys for doors/ ignition/ gas tank, heater modulator motor broken, that sort of thing).

Thanks for the good words. And thanks to whoever forwarded the digital copy of the shop manual!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 AM

What a disaster. Was the airbag light your first clue to finding all this out?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 PM

The air bag light, combined with the fact that I had found various problems preventing the rear locker and the 4wd from working. I had fixed the rear locker and the O2 sensor, but given the magnitude of electrical issues (ABS/ Air Bag/ Brake Light, Frame Problems, and other computer flags that were deeper than my engine computer reader could dig up.

So far it's running. I'm looking for a back bumper with a receiver hitch, or a receiver that will tuck up tight under the stock bumber.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM

Also, looking to run synthetic oil in it.................
Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The two reasons people are reluctant to mess with the SRS system are
First they can go off and kill someone.
Second they are really expensive to replace if they do go off without killing anyone.

If they go off and kill some one the mess to clean outweighs the cost of replacement.

I did some work to my truck and when I got done the balloon light came on.. I looked up all the things to try including resetting it. today I took the truck to get the interior cleaned and when I drove it off the light was off...
Hmmmmm I am not going to complain!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 PM

Mine has been solid now for about 2 months. Next problem to tackle is to take apart the dashboard and figure out why the air conditioning main vain control does not work to go from heating to air conditioning.............. Much less worrysome than the ABS or Air Bag light (besides which, I could not get it registered without these being repaired. If there is anything flagged on the computer, the smog shop will not let you pass go.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM

so my light came on last night. to add to it...no horn and no cruise control. 1998 4runner. i'm going to go slam the hood and shake some wires! BUT, did anyone else also have the horn and cruise go out when the light came on? thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM

For the record, the 10-year inspection is a joke. They don't service anything. They inspect:

1. Light off; if on, check codes.
2. No bulge or displacement of steering wheel bag cover
3. Likewise for the dash (passenger) cover

....done.

At least, that's what I gathered from the FSM when I reached the ten year mark and tried to figure out if I needed to go to the dealer. I decided I didn't. I read somewhere the ten year thing is a Federal law thing.

My rig is 13 years old and light never came on; there is no warning.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:59 AM

I have a 2004 Tacoma King Cab, 3.4 liter V-6 with 4WD. I bought it new and only have 62000 original miles on it. I had purchased the extended warranty on the vehicle and have never had an accident with it. My air bag light came on for no reason that I can see. I took it to the Dealer who replaced the clock spring. I picked it up after three days and drove it home and parked it. The next morning I drove half a block when the light came back on. I took it back to the dealer for another three days. I took it back to the dealer for another three days. They only reset the light when they got around to it and called me to pick it up. Long story short they say they replaced the entire assembly and the light went off until my 7 years on the warranty was up. The light is still on. I have tried all of the Do-It-Yourself tricks with no luck. The 2004 Tacoma seems to be configured differently than any of the other vehicles there are tips listed for. Any suggestions?

Last edited by drcollins1; 02-02-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 PM

My airbag light came on after I took the seats out to install new speakers. Turns out that I did not reconnect the wiring properly under the seat.

Quick Reply: AirBag Warning Light