Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The air shocks are on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The air shocks are on!!!

I just got done putting on the air shocks, same as here

They are the Monroe MA727's these are for tacoma's here is where you can get them

The 4Runners need the MA700's

They work like no other!

I have a canopy with quite a bit of weight back there due to this:

My truck was sagging so much that when I drove down the road at night, I would constantly get highbeams flashed at me. They are incredibly easy to fill up. I don't even have to fill them all the way. I did fill them all the way and I had about 3-4 inches of lift once I did so. If you need something to lift up your truck then this is the thing to get. It's much cheaper than air bags.

Last edited by oly884; 06-14-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

That's awesome man! I've heard these work very well and I'm glad they're working for you! Got any side shots of the lift and such?

Fink
Old 06-14-2005, 08:07 PM

i would not use these as a suspension lift. shock mounts are not designed to take the load that a spring would.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
That's awesome man! I've heard these work very well and I'm glad they're working for you! Got any side shots of the lift and such?

Fink
Tomorrow I'll get some shots, empty, full, and where I have it now.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by tanman2003
i would not use these as a suspension lift. shock mounts are not designed to take the load that a spring would.
I'm not using it as a suspension lift. I'm using it to just level out my truck. The shock mounts are pretty dang beefy and I really don't think that it would stress them enough to break or bend.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:49 PM

Did Gilligan build that stuff under the mattress?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Did Gilligan build that stuff under the mattress?
haha, i just threw it together, but it works great! Sleeping there is awesome and it works for the hokie pokie very very well if you know what i mean...
Old 06-15-2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by oly884
haha, i just threw it together, but it works great! Sleeping there is awesome and it works for the hokie pokie very very well if you know what i mean...
I'm glad it worked out as well as it did for me David. I can't wait to see the pics.

Chris
Old 06-15-2005, 08:58 AM

They are the Monroe MA727's these are for tacoma's here is where you can get them

They work like no other!

My truck was sagging so much that when I drove down the road at night, I would constantly get highbeams flashed at me. They are incredibly easy to fill up. I don't even have to fill them all the way. I did fill them all the way and I had about 3-4 inches of lift once I did so. If you need something to lift up your truck then this is the thing to get. It's much cheaper than air bags.
Might I suggest an inflatable air mattress???? It, too, is fully functional (if you know what I mean), is more comfortable, is no strain on the suspension, & can be easily deflated & stowed away when not in need, ensuring you full use of all of your cargo area.
While I'm sure that your setup is fully functional, it has to take up alot of room, not to mention necessitating the air shocks, & being only a foam mattress (I'm guessing), not nearly as comfortable as air.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-15-2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman2003
I've been running air shocks for 2 years without problems. Sometimes I carry 1200-1500 lbs of concrete and gear in the back.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 94x4
Might I suggest an inflatable air mattress???? It, too, is fully functional (if you know what I mean), is more comfortable, is no strain on the suspension, & can be easily deflated & stowed away when not in need, ensuring you full use of all of your cargo area.
While I'm sure that your setup is fully functional, it has to take up alot of room, not to mention necessitating the air shocks, & being only a foam mattress (I'm guessing), not nearly as comfortable as air.
The foam mattress is one of those memory foam ones. I have two of them stacked up on top of eachother. It's really comfortable. I would like to have an air mattress, but the only problem that comes up is that it's too tall. Unless any body knows where to get a lower profile air mattress I'll probably just stick to this. I tried one of the air mattresses on there before, and I could barley roll over with out my shoulders hitting the top of the canopy.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:33 PM

Yeah I got air shocks in my 97 runner about a year ago. Since then its been awesome. Towing or hauling is no longer a worry. I would suggest it to all that have a stock suspension. It was pretty cheap too, no more expensive than normal shock replacement.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:54 PM

They work like no other!

How comfortable is the ride? Does it feel cushiony?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:24 PM

It definitely firmed up the ride in the back. There was so much weight back there that it was very soft back there. Now it feels like it's stock again. The nice thing is, with these shocks, you can adjust it for how much weight you have back there. If I were to take off the canopy, I could let some air out of the shocks and have it ride just the same.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:20 PM

The foam mattress is one of those memory foam ones. I have two of them stacked up on top of eachother. It's really comfortable. I would like to have an air mattress, but the only problem that comes up is that it's too tall. Unless any body knows where to get a lower profile air mattress I'll probably just stick to this. I tried one of the air mattresses on there before, and I could barley roll over with out my shoulders hitting the top of the canopy.
"Coleman's" inflatable beds are only 6-8" in depth &/or usually tops out flush with the tops of the rear wheel tubs, that would'nt put you on the roof would it?
p.s. oh yea, how cool is it to have an "...eight foot bed that never has to be made..." ?

Last edited by 94x4; 06-15-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like a great solution.

Was the prcing on the website you pointed to for both shocks and all the connectors, etc?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Looks like a great solution.

Was the prcing on the website you pointed to for both shocks and all the connectors, etc?
Yeah, the price on the website is for every thing. The 70 some odd bucks gets you every thing you need to install it.

94x4, i'll look into the coleman thing. Last I tried, it gave enough room, but not quite enough for "certain activities" However, I will look into it again.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:16 PM

If you removed all the bed frame, I could see using a airbed, but than where would you put all the gear. I have used foam and airbeds but with air the thicker the better, if you don't want to rest your butt on the ground.
But I got a big butt.
We put memory foam over our slide out beds on the camper and it's Love.

Thanks for the post, for I have been fighting the issue of a comfortable everyday ride but still being able to haul all of our camping gear and our mowing/landscape trailer in the summer.
I am researching this same issue with my next set of tires for the 4runner.
I think I am settling on some Revos, C rated or was it P.
I would get another set of BFG AT KO, they were great tires but the ride became pretty harsh even with Bilsteins being that is the wife's DD.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Good hunting there, "oly884", it works well for me during those extracurricular activities ("extra credit..." is what the gf calls it) & I alone weigh 200lbs., although I (the gf) would suggest a little extra pad underneath for the knees, if you know what i mean.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 94x4
Good hunting there, "oly884", it works well for me during those extracurricular activities ("extra credit..." is what the gf calls it) & I alone weigh 200lbs., although I (the gf) would suggest a little extra pad underneath for the knees, if you know what i mean.
hahahaha, yeah, that's the problem with the air mattress, right now, it's about 3 inches thick and when I lie on it, I don't touch the ground, so it works pretty good for giving the most head room.

Quick Reply: The air shocks are on!!!