Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AIR BAG Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AIR BAG Warning Light

I'm just checking before I dig into the FSM and tear into the circuitry in my '02 4Runner; my warning light came on this morning, or at least this is the first time I noticed it and I wonder if anyone has had this problem on a new vehicle? Could it be a loose connection at one of the big yellow harness connectors? Maybe I shook something loose when I was putzing with my wiring in the console or running the wires for the amp.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you take apart the dash with the battery still hooked up?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by naksukow
did you take apart the dash with the battery still hooked up?
Numerous times since I had the vehicle, but I have never disconnected any of the YELLOW harness connectors. I checked all the connectors in the area where I was working most recently and found everything secure. Why do you ask?

I am headed over to my mechanic to get a reading with a scantool. His files only go up to the 2001 and he will only be able to give me a generic reading but it might isolate the problem. I willl see if he can reset the code and then I will wait for it to go on again or off in my face.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

I know with some of the older Toyotas, if you pull the fuse for the airbag from the driver side console, this warning light will pop up and you'll have to take it to the dealer for a reset.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
I know with some of the older Toyotas, if you pull the fuse for the airbag from the driver side console, this warning light will pop up and you'll have to take it to the dealer for a reset.
With a 2002, aren't you still under warranty anyway?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Good point!
I have an 02 and am pushing 42K but it would probably still be covered since it's a part of the safety features.

Manymods:
So what'd you find out?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
.... Manymods:
So what'd you find out?
Scanmaster could not get into the ECU area that had the codes.
I am not worried about the warranty issue; I have the Platium package. What pains me is that I have to drive around looking at a symbol that reminds me of my beer gut or some pregnant woman. The other down side of this is that I will not be able to get off this frickin' Island for less than about $100 in order to get to my dealer on the Cape. Once I get there it will get fixed. I was just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this anomaly. I tore all my work apart, thinking that there might be a loose connection somewhere do to something I dislodged, but everything was tight and the way it is suppose to be. At least I got to take some more pictures of my center console rear 12V outlet installation ... wiring harness.

Does anyone with a 2002 have a subscription to TSB reports and are there any pertaining to this area?
Old 08-19-2003, 05:49 AM

Toyota says ...

Spoke to assistant service manager at my dealer and he said that when the airbag light goes on that means that the airbag system is DISABLED. This can happen due to the slightest glitch or circumstance where the AB computer reads something it does not like !!!!! possibly a nick in a wire or something of that sort. I will dig deeper into my work and look at the wire routing for the BassLink to see if I "disturbed" anything there. I just cannot imagine what it could be because I am so-o-o bloody careful.