Old 06-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
:great

crisis averted
Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another update, but not the last

The saga continues...

First, I will mention that I am very pleased about FiveOmotorsport standing behind their product. I shipped back the one defective injector. Within an hour of them receiving that injector, I received a tracking number for its replacement. Good on them.

After receiving the replacement today, I was almost done with the installation,and I discovered that I had damaged injector #1 while re-installing the original injector after swapping it out for the rebuilt FiveO one. I was having trouble getting the fuel rail to line up with the injectors. I used the fuel rail bolts to pull it down, and I noticed it took excessive force. Today I discovered what happened. By cranking down on the fuel rail bolts last time, the rail "popped" into place, subsequently boogering up the very top of injector #1. I am not taking any more chances with this abomination project, so I just had to order a FiveO injector to replace that one. My T4R will be down until it gets from CA to GA, but I paid for expedited shipping.

Once I get that injector and get it all back together, I expect to be able to give a good update that the job is completely done. BTW, it has been running just fine with the old injector #5, so I am certain that was the problem all along. Mistakes happen, and nobody and no company is perfect. But they stood behind their product and took care of me.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through the same process with a '99 Taco, 3.4L at about 210k, 2009 or '10. There are some relic posts on here from that experience.

I think it was the p306 code, the cylinder rear on the driver side. I went through all the same trouble shooting. when I got to the coils I recall learning that you can test the coils. (I know a bit late for you, hopefully you were able to return the Denso) I think I just inserted a new plug into the boot of the coil and verified that it arc'd while touching the block.

I sent all my injectors to be cleaned and tested (using sonic technology) with the mileage, it seemed appropriate. I still have a Reman'd GB injector I hung onto incase ....
With no change in performance after that I finally took it in for a complete compression tests. all were low, but the # 6 was about 90 I think. Had the head inspected and sure enough there was a heat crack emanating from the top of the #6 cylinder. Lucking it was minor enough to be filled and resurfaced. Motor was solid again after that until I sold with 280K.

could be the valve issue too. see these....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...de-ugh-195361/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...ectors-182681/
Old 06-14-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, the saga is over (I think)

Hopefully, this is my final update. I received my replacement injector today, installed it, and it runs great. FiveOmotorsport did right by me, overall.

Today I discovered a trick that would have prevented me from buggering up injector #1, when I used too much force to get the misaligned fuel rail down onto the injectors previously. I didn't remove the banjo bolts, because while applying a buttload of force to the 17mm bolt, it wouldn't break loose. I didn't want to break the fuel rail itself that way, so I left the banjo bolt(s) on, and just muscled up the rail, which slightly bent the plumbing attached to the banjo bolts. It was me trying to "unbend" those that caused me to crank down on the fuel rail bolts while it wasn't aligned exactly over the injectors. I hope I described that adequately.

Today, I put a long wrench on the 17mm banjo bolt. That allowed me to muscle the fuel rail precisely, wiggling and checking that the injectors were aligned correctly with the fuel rail holes. Then I was able to spin the fuel rail bolts in by hand and a nutdriver, then tightening them properly with a socket. Instead of cranking down onto a misaligned injector and buggering up the top of it like I did previously.

She runs like a sewing machine now, and I am very relieved. Thanks again for the helpful advice above, and I hope others can learn from my mistakes.

A smart man learns from his mistakes. A really smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Great update! Now you can pass your knowledge to others in need.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=A smart man learns from his mistakes. A really smart man learns from other's mistakes. [/QUOTE]

Very well said. That is why the hive mind of several hundred amateurs like us is often twice as effective as a $100 an hour technician. Thanks for the valuable update and glad you got her purring.

Search this Thread