Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99’ 4runner transmission cooling

Old 05-29-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
99’ 4runner transmission cooling

Hello,
my runner has low miles 112k but is 20 years old now, so thought a good idea to be proactive and replace the radiator with a new Denso 221 that I’m getting from Summit. Also bought the BM stand alone trans. cooler 70264. No problems with the radiator, or trans. In my runner now. But again everything looks original so 20 years old. My questions are this, should I hook the BM cooler in a series with the new radiator cooler? Or should I use the BM trans. cooler as a separate cooling system for the transmission? My mechanic said he has never seen the “strawberry milkshake” issue. I would think the transmission would stay cooler using both the radiator cooling and the external trans. cooler together, but the “strawberry milkshake” things scares me too! Hot hot Summers here, cold below 0 at times in the winter. I do some towing with a small trailer and boat, also, off-road Overlanding travel. What real use experience and opinions do the Members have on this subject? Vance.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The B&M install instructions as well as other manufacturers recommend running the fluid through the radiator cooler and then the external cooler.
If you replaced the rad and replace the antifreeze every 5 years you will not have to worry about "pink milkshake".
There are many, many thousands of vehicles that route the fluid through the rad without any trouble.

Either the original rads were defective or throughout the vehicles life the antifreeze was never changed.
In the 2cnd gen world the pink milkshake was never an issue.
The following users liked this post:
4wheelspulling (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 PM

Marc,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions on the transmission cooling. Some of my questioning comes from myself not having had the best luck with automatic transmissions in the past. Always still enjoying the control of a manual transmission. I always wanted a 3rd. Gen. since Toyota updated the runners in 96’. I will admit never having any problems with my auto transmission in my 97’ FZJ80. Loved that vehicle, but sold it! I really wanted a manual this time around, but liked everything about what the 99’ Limited had going for it. The one I did get is in really nice shape and want to keep it the way for a long time of use. Thanks again for your response! Vance.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My understanding is that most people who install external transmission coolers bypass the built-in radiator cooler entirely.

The transmission fluid / coolant intermix has affected enough people that I’ve replaced my radiator a few times over the years as preventative maintenance.

I’ve owned my 4Runner since new and the transmission has been utterly problem free for more than 432,000 miles. The only thing I do is a complete transmission flush every 100,000 miles using Toyota fluid.

Andreas
4wheelspulling (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS View Post
My understanding is that most people who install external transmission coolers bypass the built-in radiator cooler entirely.

The transmission fluid / coolant intermix has affected enough people that I’ve replaced my radiator a few times over the years as preventative maintenance.

I’ve owned my 4Runner since new and the transmission has been utterly problem free for more than 432,000 miles. The only thing I do is a complete transmission flush every 100,000 miles using Toyota fluid.

Andreas
Thank you for your reply. The route I took is this. The radiator I bought from Summit turned out to be made in China. My mechanic had an original OEM Toyota/ Lexus new, so that is going in today, along with the new BM transmission cooler hooked up in series. I will be doing a complete transmission flush as soon as I save up some more money to have it done. Lower ball joints being done as I write this! I wanted a 3rd. Gen. for a long time. Plan on using this as an Overlanding vehicle exploring all the back roads in my State! Will be loaded up with gear and climbing grades while exploring, will have a transmission temp gage installed when I have the transmission flush done. All the above except the BM cooler is all with Toyota factory parts, radiator hoses, rad. cap, everything. Vance.

Last edited by 4wheelspulling; 06-07-2019 at 10:02 AM.
old87yota (06-09-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4wheelspulling View Post
Thank you for your reply. The route I took is this. The radiator I bought from Summit turned out to be made in China. My mechanic had an original OEM Toyota/ Lexus new, so that is going in today, along with the new BM transmission cooler hooked up in series. I will be doing a complete transmission flush as soon as I save up some more money to have it done. Lower ball joints being done as I write this! I wanted a 3rd. Gen. for a long time. Plan on using this as an Overlanding vehicle exploring all the back roads in my State! Will be loaded up with gear and climbing grades while exploring, will have a transmission temp gage installed when I have the transmission flush done. All the above except the BM cooler is all with Toyota factory parts, radiator hoses, rad. cap, everything. Vance.
Looks like you've got a good plan there.
In series is what the cooler manufacturers recommend.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:40 AM

I have to admit, I was disappointed that Summit sent me the China version of the Denso 221 radiator. I have bought many items from them in the past and been happy. I know they want to put out the best price possible, but come on, why not the best price with the best products? Okay, done with my rant! Living where I do, is Four true seasons, cold winters with lots of snow, hot summers with 2 months of 90s-100s temps. I live at about the 2000’ level. Then loaded down with camping and off-road gear, I wanted to make sure the runner will be as dependable as I can with good maintenance and Toyota or better parts when I replace or repair anything. Still have the factory bumpers and running boards. But that will be changed out as money is available. Maintenance first, buying a used vehicle I went through items to insure a dependable vehicle. Next up, timing belts and water pump, then transmission flush and transmission temperature gage. Then Factory running boards will come off and good rock sliders, for rocker protection. Bumpers after that. Staying with stock size tires and no lift for now. Want to have my full plan on the build before adding bumpers and more. Even for now, will go with bolt on rock sliders tell I decide on lift for my intended use.

I traded in a 2010 Jeep JK Rubicon, for this 99’ 4Runner. The Jeep had low miles, but with my health issues, road to stiff and was beating me up when even going up my dirt road to my property. I have a Jeep Cherokee, with a diesel Mercedes Benz 5cylinder motor with lots of other work and mods done to it. Will be selling that if I can get most of my money back out of it. Also, a 99’ Dodge 2500 Cummings 4x4, that I use for truck things and hauling my 10’ Alaskan pop top camper. The camper is old, 1965, but in great shape. Have myself spread out a little to much, so, Jeep will have to go! I have had 5 Toyota’s in the Pass, so, New what I wanted this time around. Glad to be on this forum and hope to help others and learn all I can too. Thanks everyone for helping with my questions! Vance.