Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 4Runner lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4Runner lift

Hi all, first time poster, love all your comments! This is an apology upfront because you may gag when you see my question. Uh-hem, it's been covered. Having said that, not totally, or so I've found.
I'm looking for a 2"-2/12" suspension lift. Problem is, what's involved in a lift like that? Springs, struts, spacers, etc??
I'm pretty handy other places, but not so much with suspension.
I've seen Old Man Emu, but they dont list an application for my rig. Les Schwab says they don't have a kit for 1996. 4Wheel Parts wants to use spacers and springs, another outfit wants to use all springs.
I'm a daily driver and don't tow much (have airbags in the back anyway). It already sits level and I want to keep it that way.
Help, I have no idea what the right questions to ask are!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Half Measures
Hi all, first time poster, love all your comments! This is an apology upfront because you may gag when you see my question. Uh-hem, it's been covered. Having said that, not totally, or so I've found. I'm looking for a 2"-2/12" suspension lift. Problem is, what's involved in a lift like that? Springs, struts, spacers, etc?? I'm pretty handy other places, but not so much with suspension. I've seen Old Man Emu, but they dont list an application for my rig. Les Schwab says they don't have a kit for 1996. 4Wheel Parts wants to use spacers and springs, another outfit wants to use all springs. I'm a daily driver and don't tow much (have airbags in the back anyway). It already sits level and I want to keep it that way. Help, I have no idea what the right questions to ask are!
All depends on what you want to spend. Lift kits take time to put on, but not too much in the way of special skills. A spacer lift is cost effective (I ran one on my 97 for 8 years and loved it) and not too tough to install. A good coil-over kit is great for a daily driver. I run the toytec kit now and it's amazing. Better than stock ride wise. Do some research on Toytec, sornoransteel, and using Tundra Bilstein coil overs. I will say from experience with KYB, Gabrielle, Bilstein, and Tokico...go Bilstein for your shocks and struts no matter what you choose. Best ride hands down.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM

I think I like the spacer idea. The lift is really only for looks, hate to say. I did talk with Sornoran Steel and he is an amazing guy. Unfortunately, they don't install and that's what I'll need done.
I'll look into to Toytec, but when you are talking about coil overs, Bilstein, etc, you're talking shocks right? My understanding is, with a 2" lift, I won't need shocks or brake lines.
So with the spacer situation, it's two spacers and two springs, each giving the same lift, right?
Thanks for your help!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 PM

I've been researching the terms you've used and I understand coilovers replace the strut/spring. Toytec was a wealth of info. At this point, I don't want to spend a grand on parts for the whole shabang. If you ran spacers for 7 years, spose I can do the same.
When it comes time to replace the struts, I'll go with your Bilstein suggestion. Thank you for the help.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM

You are correct - with a spacer lift you will not need to replace shocks, struts, or coils. The only other item you might want to consider is a diff drop kit. $50 and easy to install it will correct the added angle the lift adds to your CV joints. Of course if you don't see yourself putting it in four wheel drive ever it may not be needed.

I ran a Daystar comfort kit for a while - little bit softer on the road then the stainless steel spacer kits.

Last edited by hilgeg; 02-24-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Love my SonoranSteel 1.2. My buddy ad I installed it in a couple of hours at his shop. Any shop should be able to install it.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 AM

Who are you going to have install the spacer kit?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:42 AM

Thanks for both of your replies, much appreciated! Not sure who will do the install on the spacers...it's a little bit of a headache since shops want to install there own equip. If they install my equip and something is off, I'm left holding the perverbeal bag.
Because of that, I may solicit someone to just assist me in doing the install myself. Did you have any other ideas?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 AM

Oh and we do like need to use 4wd occasionally, but I say the lift is cosmetic, only because I've never been in a position where a lift would have made any difference. Thus, the did drop will be something to look into also. Thanks for the tip!
BTW, love Oregon. We'll be up in southern Or in a couple weeks.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Only reason I asked on the install is what you noted above - getting caught holding the "proverbial bag". I had Les Schwabs install a spacer lift on the wife's Tacoma a few years ago and it caused a rub with the tires (their tires as well). They won't support or warranty wheel spacers so per them - the only solution was new wheels with a bigger backspace....all for the low low price of $1400. So you have the right idea getting someone to help you. Make sure to budget for an alignment immediately after.

Southern Oregon this time of year should nice...so long as you don't want to ski. We are very low on snow this year!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 AM

This kit is a 4 spacer kit, which I'm thinking about. Seems likes good way to see if I like the lift.
Daystar KT09112BK Front and Rear Suspension Lift - 1 1/2 Inch

No skiing for us this year, but we'll be back up this summer to Jetboat/fish the Rogue.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 AM

Very similar to what I was running. I had the KT09106BK and was able to clear 285/70R17's without rub. Good luck! Nothing looks as nice as a lifted 3rd gen in my opinion.

Steelhead are still hitting on the Rogue so plan accordingly!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by FJHammerHead
Love my SonoranSteel 1.2. My buddy ad I installed it in a couple of hours at his shop. Any shop should be able to install it.
Gonna say SonoranSteel is pretty solid along with Toyteclifts take the minute and half and watch this it's from billy but still think it makes a good point.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the video! It certainly makes sense. In my case, I'm only considering the 1.5" spacers, not sure how that falls in line with the video.
It's possible I may not want to afford a lift just yet, if I need to pay upwards of 1k to get a full suspension lift.
From my research, the opinion is 1" to 2" of lift creates little, if any noticeable side affects. Having said that, I acknowledge the angle issues of the driveline, etc...
It's a tough call.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 PM

Take this opinion for what it is worth - during the time I had my spacer lift installed I was not nice to my truck. Trips on the Oregon dunes, snow, mud, and rocks all being hit hard thanks to a lead foot driver. I did not have a diff drop until I switched to the toytec lift.. My decision to switch to the Toytec lift was mostly because the POS Gabrielle Les Schwab shocks I had were worn out and the 4 wheel club I joined started doing more trails that included some rock crawling. With a 1.5 inch lift, a diff drop, and I assume OEM CV's you should have no problems. Only thing you might want to check is how recently your lower ball joints have been replaced. If you haven't looked already search this forum for lower ball joint failure....that repair would trump a lift IMHO any day. Otherwise lift on! You could alway go for a small body lift and leave the OEM suspension to is own.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 PM

I appreciate everyone's input! It's why I love this forum. Helgig, I'm going with the Daystar 1.5. If, for some reason I have problems, I'll throw the old stuff back in. I suspect things will be fine. Thanks again!
Btw, I did update my profile with a couple pics, so you can see what we're working with .
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM

Nice looking clean rig!
Watch out for this forum - we will have you supercharging your rig and spending every last dime you have if you listen to all of us. Enjoy that 4Runner - they are one of the most capable rigs I've ever owned.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 AM

Thanks! That mad me laugh out loud. I don't need encouragement to blow money on this thing ha ha.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 AM

Beware of grimlins when doing lifts! I installed a Daystar 2" lift and have a vibration I can't get rid of, nor figure out where it's coming from!! Starts around 50 mph. Done everything from alignments to rebuilding the drive shaft. I noticed the other day the upper ball joint boots have slipped off due to the severe angle on the upper a-arm this life puts on it. Very frustrating to say the least!! I have not messed with it in a while as I just had to have the rear main seal replaced, but about to dive back into it and put new shocks all around, replace the ball joint boots and the front axles Hoping the new front axles or the shocks solve the vibration problem because I am at a loss for this problem.