Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

94 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 transmission problem

New to forum, have read many posts regarding transmission problems, but none with my symptoms. I have a 1994 4Runner, 3.0, automatic. I replaced the engine about 6 months ago and everything has been fine. About 3 months ago, the transmission will not engage when put into drive. I have to manually put it into first, then second, then third. It will go into overdrive on it’s own and downshift normally unless you go below 10 to 12 MPH. Then it drops in to “neutral” or nothing. I have to manually put it into first (second won’t engage) again and shift manually back trough the gears to third. Based on another post on this board, I used a jumper on the diagnostic socket under the hood and I get the O/D off light and the check engine light flashing constantly (no pauses). I removed the ECU fuse for a minute and tried again, same result. All gears seem to work properly on their own.

Sorry for being so longwinded for my first post, hope someone can provide some guidance.

Thanks, Bill
Old 07-11-2004, 07:06 PM

check your throttle cable at the TB that runs from the tranny.

IIRC it's called the tranny kick down cable.

i had the worse problem with the tranny wanting to downshift out of the blue.

i brought it to the dealer and they said maybe that's the issue.

it was about the same time they replaced the engine so by R&R the engine they fixed my problem...
Old 07-12-2004, 03:35 PM

Leo, thanks for the reply. I swapped the motor myself (no experience), seems like I remember the cable you're talking about. It might be possible it worked it's way loose during the first 3 months. This whole electrical, thermostat, throttle body, speedometer conglomeration just to make the transmission work properly is mind blowing !! I will check the connections first chance I get. By the way, do you or anyone else know if the O/D off light and the check engine light were both blinking constantly with no breaks mean there are no codes or should they be on solid? Thanks again for the reply, I'll let you know what happens, Bill
Old 07-14-2004, 02:20 PM

Finally had time to check the cable. I hope it's the right one. It appears to run into the passenger side of the transmission pan. The end at the throttle body looks like it's adjustable and is connected O.K., hard to tell about the end going into the pan.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:32 PM

the fine adjustment is on the TB side. i have the FSM at home and i'll try to see what that number it...
Old 07-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Thanks Leo, I'm guessing from your location (w122)you're in Nevada or California? I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks from N26 37' W80.10', Bill
Old 07-18-2004, 12:46 PM

I finally got a chance to adjust the cable. I tried one turn at a time towards the transmission all the way. No change, then went back towards the throttle body, only one turn left until bottom beyond original setting. Still no change. I disconnected the ECU fuse for a minute also, still no change. What next guys? Thanks, Bill
Old 07-19-2004, 03:25 PM

Hey,

This definitly sounds like a solenoid problem. I had same problem. No go in first unless you shift manually. It is more than likely this although it could be a problem with the computer as well if your not getting any o/d light codes. Also to get the light to flash the code, you may have to step on the accelerator pedal. Just go through the procedure again, Jump the connectors, turn key to on, not start and push the accelerator prdal. This is what i had to do a few times. Just a thought and good luck.

Steve
Old 07-19-2004, 03:28 PM

Sorry also try searching under shift solenoid or solenoid. I believe it's either the first or second solenoid( or maybe both) that are malfunctioning on your truck.

Steve
Old 07-19-2004, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Steve. I did try stepping on the gas pedal, both still flash continuously. Maybe I don't know how to correctly. Should I hold pedal to the floor, hold it down just a little or what? From research on the boards, I kind of got the feeling it might be the solenoids. I guess I was hoping it would be something simple. If I recall correctly, first and second are inside the pan? Can't recall how much they were from dealer. Is this manually shifting causing any damage? Could you or someone else here recommend a specific manual that would help me diagnose the tranny? Chilton's or Haynes, etc.? Too many questions, can you tell I half know what I'm doing? I sure appreciate the help and guidance you guys are giving, I love this runner and would like to keep driving it (1994, 74,000 miles) Thanks again, Bill
Old 07-20-2004, 01:08 PM

Hi,

Another route just off the top of my head. It may be that your TPS is out of adjustment or the ECU is bad. No shifting and no diagnostics could be a sign of bad TPS or bad ECU. If you're following the procedure for pulling codes properly i would suggest finding a good trustworthy mechanic to have a quick look at it.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:12 PM

Oh, and yeah the solenoids are in the pan. The weren't that bad to replace. I did mine in a parking lot. Mine from the dealer were $305.00 each from the dealer.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 PM

How long has it been since you have replaced the filter on the tranny? I dont know to much about the 4Runner's, but my old Camery had a simular problem.

I remember on that car the tranny would shift when enough pressure built up. With a dirty filter, the pressure was not able to build up.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 07-23-2004, 04:01 PM

The vehicle wont move at all unless you start it in low?

If that is the case, the low sprag is probably blown.

This means that you probably need an overhaul.

Problems with the solenoids will cause a 4th gear start at worst- not no movement from a stop with the selector in D.

-John
Old 10-04-2004, 11:26 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Transdude
The vehicle wont move at all unless you start it in low?

If that is the case, the low sprag is probably blown.

This means that you probably need an overhaul.

Problems with the solenoids will cause a 4th gear start at worst- not no movement from a stop with the selector in D.

-John
Transdude, what about no shift from 1-2 first thing in the morning? If I let it warm up to operating temp it shifts fine, if I just drive away in first(no warm up) after a short time, about the time the temp gauge takes to move off the pin, it shifts 1-2 and so on. After the first shift of the day, it's a smooth as silk, no slip, just happy motoring. 1yr ago OBD code P0770 had the E solenoid replaced. Now the light comes on say once a month, and I reset it.
Is this no shift when cold problem Soleniods or valve body?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Al Wilson
Transdude, what about no shift from 1-2 first thing in the morning? If I let it warm up to operating temp it shifts fine, if I just drive away in first(no warm up) after a short time, about the time the temp gauge takes to move off the pin, it shifts 1-2 and so on. After the first shift of the day, it's a smooth as silk, no slip, just happy motoring. 1yr ago OBD code P0770 had the E solenoid replaced. Now the light comes on say once a month, and I reset it.
Is this no shift when cold problem Soleniods or valve body?

Thanks
Wow. This sounds like a phone call that I just got

-John