Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

90k tune up worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90k tune up worth it?

My 99 4runner just hit the 90,000 mark. The stealer was recommending the 90k tune-up which runs around $300-400. Is it worth it? I'm not a huge DIY guy, but I can do some maintenance. More-over, can this service be done at local shops?

Just curious to get some feedback (and my pre-emptive apologies if this is posted somewhere else already - couldn't find it).

thanks,

Kurt
Old 06-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

You can go a little longer and some have gone as far as 150k miles. It just really depends on how much of a chance are you willing to take. To be honest, even if your timing belt breaks, you won't have issues destroying your motor. Biggest deal is getting it from where it broke down to a place so it gets fixed and the time related to this.

The biggest cost is normally your timing belt and water pump.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:34 PM

If you are a city driver, you can probally extend.. if you drive the fwy and backroads lots I would change it, this is just so you dont get stranded somewhere a long ways from a shop or cellphone service.

IMO, do it. I am a preventitive maintence type of guy....
Old 06-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
callmekurt where do you live there might be some one in your area to help you out
Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

What about frying a tranny cause you didn't flush it. Or killing a coil cause you didn't change your plugs, or screwing up a maf sensor cause you neglected changing your air filter.

Those are some costly repairs due to lack of easy maintenance. Granted that may not happen to you, maybe not even to most, but I have seen all these and more.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Originally Posted by callmekurt
My 99 4runner just hit the 90,000 mark. The stealer was recommending the 90k tune-up which runs around $300-400. Is it worth it? I'm not a huge DIY guy, but I can do some maintenance. More-over, can this service be done at local shops?

Just curious to get some feedback (and my pre-emptive apologies if this is posted somewhere else already - couldn't find it).

thanks,

Kurt
I bet that $300-$400 quote doesn't include the timing belt change and water pump change (which will cost you an additional $300-$400). The price they quoted you was to change a few fluids, the spark plugs, a couple filters, and just look everything over. If you're a little adventurous, you can pay about $100 for all the parts and fluids and do it yourself. It will probably take about 5 hours for everything if you've never done it before. Save the $300-400 for your timing belt and water pump which should be done by 100k miles anyway. If you still don't want to do the job yourself, take it to a trusted mechanic; they should be able to do the job for a considerable less amount of money.

Russell
Old 06-20-2006, 05:28 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
If you're a bit of a DIY guy, review the list of items on their 90k program and pick those that you're not comfortable doing yourself and do the rest on your own and at your leaisure. Also, I'd be concerned if the timing belt is not on their list. I wouldn't let that go too much beyond 90k (plus the water pump, idler pulleys, etc.), but it shouldn't be a problem to go beyond that a bit (I say that as a PM type of guy, myself).I'm always skeptical of the dealer's "packaged" maintenance programs. There's a lot of things that you can DIY for much, much less money.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 AM

Look in your manual and tell us what they reccommend at 90K, I would also hope to see the timimng belt... a tranny flush (dont just drain), and I would fill with synthetic, plugs, wires, filters.. I dont have a 3.4 so I dont know some of the engine specific stuff...
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Look in your manual and tell us what they reccommend at 90K, I would also hope to see the timimng belt... a tranny flush (dont just drain), and I would fill with synthetic, plugs, wires, filters.. I dont have a 3.4 so I dont know some of the engine specific stuff...
Ha - when I look at the list, I can't believe they charge what they do...it's basically the most expensive oil change..ok and a flush.:
<snip>
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine coolant
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace non-platinum spark plugs 2
Lubricate propeller shaft and re-torque bolts (4WD)
Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts (4WD)
Rotate tires
Inspect the following:
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Differential oil
Drive belts
Drive shaft boots
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Fuel tank cap gasket
Steering gear box
Steering linkage and boots
Transfer case oil (4WD)
Transmission fluid or oil

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving on Rough, Muddy or Snow-Melted Roads
Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier
Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
Replace differential oil, including limited-slip
Replace transfer case oil (4WD)
Replace transmission fluid or oil
<snip>

Granted there's a lot of "checking" but some of this is DIM (do it myself).
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 AM

Okay, wow not much on there for the cost.... IMO do it yourself... and consider having the stuff the other guys mentioned done...timimng belt and h20 pump...

I would change all your fluids....espically if you wheel...