Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

7th injector alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get that gauge to work on your truck you will have to have an exhaust shop weld in a new bung and install an O2 sensor just to run the gauge.

All that money and work and it simply so inaccurate you will not have a clue what your mixture really is.

If you want that gauge to read so it is accurate, you can get the PLX wide band unit from the URD site and then go to the PLX site and get the gauge converter and connect your gauge to the gauge converter. Then you will have a very accurate gauge. You can mount the PLX controller with the digital display in the glove box and your meter where ever you want. It will then give you a steady reading of true mix and then when you want to see the digital display, just pop open the glove box.

That is how I have mine set up and it all works great.

However, if you want to do some real tuning, then get the INNOVATIVE wide band unit. That damn thing is the cat meow for tuning and I do mean serious tuning. They are going to be coming out with expansion stuff for it any day now that will make it the best tool there is on the market for tuning. A short time down the road you will see a real amazing product from them that we are working with them on. Can you say revolutionary???

Gadget
Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 PM

well, damn

thats a lot of work and more money that I really dont have right now...... problem is, I ordered a gauge pod designed for 2 gauges
Old 06-05-2004, 05:22 PM

What does the 7th injector? Does it apply to all cars, or only newer years? I see auctions on ebay that include the 7th injector with the S/C and some that don't. Is it absolutely needed?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by max5spd
What does the 7th injector? Does it apply to all cars, or only newer years? I see auctions on ebay that include the 7th injector with the S/C and some that don't. Is it absolutely needed?
"absolutely"? No, but without some way to get more fuel into the engine you'll never get all the HP out of the S/C that you could. And you may run the risk of damaging your engine.

The issue that the 7th injector (or the URD setup) is addressing is one of lean-out. When you add an S/C to the 3.4L motor, you're pushing more air through the engine than the stock fuel system can make up for. This means that the engine will run lean, which shows itself as a loss of power and dreadful pinging.

The 7th injector is what Toyota came up with to get more fuel into the engine. What you do is add an injector into the back of the S/C which then delivers more fuel into the engine at high RPMs (and/or WOT). You also add a piggyback unit onto the ECU which will allows the ECU to drive the new injector.

The alternative to this is to use Gadget's ("urd") solution which involves replacing all the injectors with larger ones, replacing the fuel pump with a larger capacity unit, and adding a programmable fuel/timing controller to handle it all.

If you _don't_ do anything, then you run the risk of doing some damage to the engine. Running constantly lean isn't healthy, it causes higher exhaust temps and you can blow a head gasket from the pinging.

To be fair though, there are a couple of people here that are running a S/C that do _not_ have pinging issues. I don't know that anyone can absolutely tell just why that is - it may be tolerances or differences in the ECU (and it can adapt "farther" and run the truck richer) or altitude or just plain luck.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info, Mark. TRD's site said that it's available for 99+ 4Runners. Does it work for older 3rd Gens?
Old 06-06-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm, good question. The deciding issue would be the ECU piggyback - the physical side of the injector and the S/C is the same.

I'm gonna have to bow out and let someone else give you that info - or possibly call your local Toyota dealer and ask a service dude. Actually, drop a PM/Email line to forum member "TOR" here. That's Todd Packer who's the resident certifed Toyota Parts Dude that's been helping out a lot of folks with parts and such. He'd know for sure.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by max5spd
Thanks for the info, Mark. TRD's site said that it's available for 99+ 4Runners. Does it work for older 3rd Gens?
No, but the URD kit sure does...

Gadget