Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5VZFE fan housing and pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5VZFE fan housing and pulleys

I have been slowly but surely working on a 3.4 swap into a '94 4runner. The motor is in the chassis. 2" body lift is installed. The motor came out of a '96 2wd Tacoma.

The motor came with both pulleys removed from the fan bracket. I received a #2 pulley with the motor. I didn't get the #1 pulley. I bought a #1 pulley from the local Toyota dealer.

The #2 pulley that came with the motor is in contact with the fan housing when I assemble the #2 pulley, the #1 pulley, and the fan clutch. It looks to be about 1/16 or so off. The pulleys are out of alignment by the same margin. According to the local dealer, there is no shim or gasket that needs to be installed. The parts should install and line up.

I suspect that the #2 pulley I got with the motor isn't the correct one for the motor. The parts dude was clueless about looking up different versions of the pulley and couldn't come up with any info as to the dimensions of the #2 pulley.

I can order a replacement #2 pulley for $47.00 and hope that it fits correctly. If not, the restock fee is 25%.

Does anyone know anything about this issue? Hints or tips?

For those that are considering the swap, make sure that you get ALL the parts from the donor so that you don't get jammed up like I have been. I have spent more on replacement parts than I saved by getting a "slightly" incomplete motor. That doesn't include the time I have wasted...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude sounds like a noble project but I guess you can't go back and pick up the other parts at the local wrecking yard? Otherwise I guess you are gonna have to be lucky enough to find a Runner with smashed front end or blown motor. Getting all you can is definitely the right thing to do but hey, thats how we learn, right? Good luck on your transplant
Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by funjumper
I have been slowly but surely working on a 3.4 swap into a '94 4runner. The motor is in the chassis. 2" body lift is installed. The motor came out of a '96 2wd Tacoma.

The motor came with both pulleys removed from the fan bracket. I received a #2 pulley with the motor. I didn't get the #1 pulley. I bought a #1 pulley from the local Toyota dealer.

The #2 pulley that came with the motor is in contact with the fan housing when I assemble the #2 pulley, the #1 pulley, and the fan clutch. It looks to be about 1/16 or so off. The pulleys are out of alignment by the same margin. According to the local dealer, there is no shim or gasket that needs to be installed. The parts should install and line up.

I suspect that the #2 pulley I got with the motor isn't the correct one for the motor. The parts dude was clueless about looking up different versions of the pulley and couldn't come up with any info as to the dimensions of the #2 pulley.

I can order a replacement #2 pulley for $47.00 and hope that it fits correctly. If not, the restock fee is 25%.

Does anyone know anything about this issue? Hints or tips?

For those that are considering the swap, make sure that you get ALL the parts from the donor so that you don't get jammed up like I have been. I have spent more on replacement parts than I saved by getting a "slightly" incomplete motor. That doesn't include the time I have wasted...
Dude,

I am in the same boat you are. I got my engine from an junkyard. I really wasnt well educated on the 3.4 when I bought it. The 4runner it had been in was in a front end collision. The fan bracket was busted off. No pulleys at all for the fan. Plus the stud for the power steering tension bracked was busted off and remaining piece of the stud is still in there. This swap is definately not worth doing unless you are able to get every single component from the same vehicle in good shape. There is a sight that I am ordering my #1 and #2 pulley from for the fan bracket. Its trdparts4u.com Actually this will help you more. Its a bitch to find. I stubled across the part on accident kinda. This is for a 96 tacoma 3.4

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=3&catalogid=2

For me the front and rear pulley is about $50 with shipping. Should be the same for you roughly
Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Can you post pics of the pulleys,I might be able to tell what they are.
Shubey
Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
Dude,

I am in the same boat you are. I got my engine from an junkyard. I really wasnt well educated on the 3.4 when I bought it. The 4runner it had been in was in a front end collision. The fan bracket was busted off. No pulleys at all for the fan. Plus the stud for the power steering tension bracked was busted off and remaining piece of the stud is still in there. This swap is definately not worth doing unless you are able to get every single component from the same vehicle in good shape. There is a sight that I am ordering my #1 and #2 pulley from for the fan bracket. Its trdparts4u.com Actually this will help you more. Its a bitch to find. I stubled across the part on accident kinda. This is for a 96 tacoma 3.4

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=3&catalogid=2

For me the front and rear pulley is about $50 with shipping. Should be the same for you roughly
Nice find on the parts. If I have the correct pulley, it is the same part number for '95-'04. I forgot about trdparts4u.

I just ordered what will be, for sure, the correct pulley. No more guesswork. I need to get this project completed.

Thanks for the helpful hints.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shubey
Can you post pics of the pulleys,I might be able to tell what they are.
Shubey
Here are a few pictures. The pulley is exactly 2" tall.
Attached Thumbnails 5VZFE fan housing and pulleys-pulley1.jpg   5VZFE fan housing and pulleys-pulley2.jpg  
Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.I measured a pulley off a 3.0-2" tall & about 5.25 diam. I couldn't come up with one from a 3.4 to measure but I had a bad 3.4 fan bracket.Put the 3.0 pulley on the 3.4 bracket & it fit right on spun w/no contact.Is it possible something might be a little bent?

Sorry if I'm not much help,
Shubey
Old 11-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shubey
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.I measured a pulley off a 3.0-2" tall & about 5.25 diam. I couldn't come up with one from a 3.4 to measure but I had a bad 3.4 fan bracket.Put the 3.0 pulley on the 3.4 bracket & it fit right on spun w/no contact.Is it possible something might be a little bent?

Sorry if I'm not much help,
Shubey
The 3.0 uses a V-Belt. The 3.4 uses the flat wide belt with mini-Vs. I have my complete 3.0 sitting on an engine stand in the garage. I would use the parts if I could.

Thanks for trying. I appreciate it. I should have the parts any day now. I'll post what the end result is when I get the parts and try the install..
Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just went out and measured mine off my 3.4L (which is in the process of getting put back together) and it's also 2" tall as Shubey mentioned. I'd bet money you need a new fan bracket because it may have been jammed back in a collision (which is probably why the engine didn't come with the pulleys and also why the new pulleys are making contact when it shouldn't). There are no shims or gaskets that get installed as you can see in the attached FSM diagram.
Attached Thumbnails 5VZFE fan housing and pulleys-fan-bracket-assembly.jpg  

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-06-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I just went out and measured mine off my 3.4L (which is in the process of getting put back together) and it's also 2" tall as Shubey mentioned. I'd bet money you need a new fan bracket because it may have been jammed back in a collision (which is probably why the engine didn't come with the pulleys and also why the new pulleys are making contact when it shouldn't). There are no shims or gaskets that get installed as you can see in the attached FSM diagram.
I am afraid that you might be right. I looked over the fan bracket when I had the motor most of the way apart and I didn't see anything obvious.

This project has worked out to being a real pain in the butt due to missing parts and pieces.

So it goes...
Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 PM

The replacement Fan Bracket resolved the issue.

Installation didn't take long. The radiator, etc is still out, so nothing was in the way.