Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4x4 is giving me crap...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 is giving me crap...

I just bought a '99 4runner a couple weeks ago. I put it in 4wd the other day and it seems like the fronts pull as normal, but the passenger rear is loading up and spinning the wrong way. If I push it, it will chirp and skip, then load up again. I can disengage 4wd and reverse until it clunks back in to 2wd.

Any ideas? Is this a sensor issue, something in the t-case not fully engaging or is it the rearend? I'm hoping this is a simple fix, but I'm guessing it won't be.

Thanks guys.

Jay
Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM

I'm just guessing but Id say sombody put something in backwards put it on blocks and put it in 4wd then 2wd and watch the drive shaft see if it changes directions that will tell you if its in the t case or rear end
Edit its probably the tcase if it only happens in 4wd

Last edited by Stetson_md; 08-26-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:20 PM

You say the rear tire is chirping and spinning the wrong way? Like your back tire is spinning the opposite direction than the front tires? Are you on pavement?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
You say the rear tire is chirping and spinning the wrong way? Like your back tire is spinning the opposite direction than the front tires? Are you on pavement?
In my drive way, checking things out.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by jaybird302

In my drive way, checking things out.
Are you turning? Have you owned a 4x4 before?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DO NOT USE 4X4 ON THE STREET! It will always catch and chirp! Try going offroad and see what happens.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Ok guys, I'm not an idiot. Yes I have owned and do currently own another 4x4, we have a Wrangler. I know how to drive and I also know how to drive a 4x4 on the street. No I was not turning, I was pulling forward in my drive way. If I do this off road the effect will be the same. Thanks

Jay
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM

Ok guys, I'm not an idiot. Yes I have owned and do currently own another 4x4, we have a Wrangler. I know how to drive and I also know how to drive a 4x4 on the street. No I was not turning, I was pulling forward in my drive way. If I do this off road the effect will be the same. Thanks

Jay
You haven't explained what you said your rear tire is chirping and "spinning the wrong way". Is it actually turning the opposite of the front? Does it do it when your going straight?

Don't take it the wrong way but there are a bunch of people that ask on here about similar problems that turn out to be normal, mainly people new to 4wds. So we have to rule that out first.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM

You haven't explained what you said your rear tire is chirping and "spinning the wrong way". Is it actually turning the opposite of the front? Does it do it when your going straight?

Don't take it the wrong way but there are a bunch of people that ask on here about similar problems that turn out to be normal, mainly people new to 4wds. So we have to rule that out first.
Jason,
I understand and apologize for turning into a drama queen for a second there..... Finally sat down to dinner and shoved some food in my face. I felt like my own snickers commercial.....

Anyway, as far as I can tell(from the drivers seat) it feels like the front and rear are pulling in opposite directions. Then the back tire will chirp and act as though it's "unloaded" the force stored up and then start over again. I only moved about 10-15' under very low power and this happened twice in that space. All moving forward in a straight line. I intend to work on it some more this weekend but wanted a few ideas to try. I'll probably get my wife to video the vehicle while I do this so I can see for sure what's happening. Is this something that might be caused be different gear ratios? Though I can't see why it'd have that for an issue, but who knows....

So thanks for the help fellas, sorry for goin' all Betty White earlier....
Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 PM

It's all good man.

My thought if it does it going straight is different gear ratios. Are the tires the same size front and back? The previous owner could have swapped the gears in the rear end. I would do the simple spin test to get your ratios. Another easy way if you have some jack stands is raise the drivers side front and rear wheels (chock the other side of course) put it in 4wd and the trans in neutral and spin one tire by hand and see if the other side turns the same speed. If it spins faster or slower than the one you have your hands on the gears are different.

Edit. Only do the spin test above if your vehicle has open differentials.

Last edited by JasonYota; 08-26-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Yep, someone replaced something and it wants to bind technically. Different gears.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM

It's all good man.

My thought if it does it going straight is different gear ratios. Are the tires the same size front and back? The previous owner could have swapped the gears in the rear end. I would do the simple spin test to get your ratios. Another easy way if you have some jack stands is raise the drivers side front and rear wheels (chock the other side of course) put it in 4wd and the trans in neutral and spin one tire by hand and see if the other side turns the same speed. If it spins faster or slower than the one you have your hands on the gears are different.
I'll give that a shot, but why in the world would I have two diff gear ratios? That makes no sense to me.... Thanks man, I appreciate the advise. I'm not new to cars or mechanicin' in general, but am new to toyota and 4runners. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jay
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
^Yep, someone replaced something and it wants to bind technically. Different gears.
Boggles the mind...
Old 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM

I'll give that a shot, but why in the world would I have two diff gear ratios? That makes no sense to me.... Thanks man, I appreciate the advise. I'm not new to cars or mechanicin' in general, but am new to toyota and 4runners. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jay
The previous owner could have swapped higher gears for interstate driving for mileage reasons. But really there is no telling what happened.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 PM

Ok fellas... Jacked up one side, put it in 4wd and spun the rear wheel counter clockwise. I put a piece of blue painters tape at 12oclock on each wheel before spinning. The pic is the end result. The rear wheel back at 12, the front at 1~2.... I would assume that the front would be the stock ratio, but have no idea what that might be. I'm thinking it'd be easier to return the rear to stock vs. swapping the front since I have NO clue what is in the rear at this point.... Anyway, thanks for your help.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails 4x4 is giving me crap...-image-1581842263.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 PM

If you spun the rear tire counter clock wise it would have lower gears (higher number) in the rear.
Try your door jam for the axle codes for a start then I would do a spin test on the front axle only.
Figure out 100 percent what you have now so you don't buy the wrong thing.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 PM

If you spun the rear tire counter clock wise it would have lower gears (higher number) in the rear.
Try your door jam for the axle codes for a start then I would do a spin test on the front axle only.
Figure out 100 percent what you have now so you don't buy the wrong thing.
Jason,
You've mentioned the "spin test" a couple of times. I am unfamiliar with this. Can you give me a run down on this or point me to one? I would really appreciate it! The tag on the door jam either doesn't say gear ratios or I don't know what I'm looking for... Most likely....

Jay
Old 09-02-2013, 10:21 AM

Ok, found an Axle Code table that explained it pretty well, only thing is that I'm not sure what the 'A' at the end of my code means. According to the chart I'm supposed to have a 138mm dia. ring in 3.545. According to the chart I found, the last digit should designate the number of pinions with or with out limited slip. Here's a pic of the code.
Attached Thumbnails 4x4 is giving me crap...-image-1502191612.jpg   4x4 is giving me crap...-image-3443405942.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 AM

Yep you found the chart for the gear codes. On mine I think the last one is for a 4 cylinder or V6 differential. Looks like you have 3.54 gears. Idk if 4runners of that year came with that, Someone will chime in with more info on that.

The spin test as I call it is where you raise the vehicle spin the tire and count the drive shaft revolutions then divide them. You could search how to find gear ratios and it should come up.

Also just a tip, When I search for things I do not use the search on here, I use a search engine (google,bing,yahoo). 99 percent of the time I can find what I'm searching for.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Jason I really appreciate your help on this!

Quick Reply: 4x4 is giving me crap...