Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4 Wheel Parts Sucks!

Old 11-18-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Wheel Parts Sucks!

Recenly, 4 wheel parts had a 1/2 off labor sale. Although I had heard bad things about 4wp, I couldn't refuse 1/2 labor to get 2 axles regeared. I went ahead and bought both ring and pinions, and both master install kits from them. After having front axle (it was loose) for 2 1/2 weeks, I finally got it back. The inner axle seals that I included in the install kit weren't hte right size (parts mike actually messed up, I couldn't believe it! it's okay though) so, after assuring me that axle seals were cheap (I played dumb) they said they'd get some from the car quest down the street. After 2 weeks, they supposedly were able to get them. I can get them from NAPA or parts mike for $5.99 a piece. I looked at my bill, and they charged me $26.50 per seal, making a total of 53.00 for two axle seals! They also charged me 14.00 for gear oil per axle. I can get a gallon for $7.00. I brought the front axle in already stripped down, so it couldn't even physically hold gear oil because the axle shafts were gone, but I still got charged for it.

Lastly, they charged me $55.37 for freight. I didn't get this shipped to my house, it went from their distribution center (which is Transmaerican) to their store. Why in the hell should I have to pay for that? I don't have to pay 2.00 for freight when I go to CVS to get some toothpaste! Lastly, I checked their site, and added the same parts I bought from 4wp over the phone, and the website told me that the shipping total was 44.00 via UPS to my door. So, I could have gotten it shipped to my house for 11 bucks cheaper than 4WP chargers for it's own freight services from THEIR distribution center to THEIR store.

I haven't explained any of this to them because I still have to get my rear diff regeared. I dropped it off this evening, and supposedly they'll regear it tomorrow (my front axle sat in their shop for 1 week before it even worked on). Once they call me to tell me it's finished, I'm going to head over there and ask them to explain these outrageous charges.

Does anyone know of anything else I can do to these guys? One of my buddies mentioned reporting them to the BBC. He told me that he's pretty sure that they should have a license number and I could report them. Any more ideas?

The moral of this story: NEVER SHOP AT 4 WHEEL PARTS!
Old 11-18-2004, 07:33 PM

Well buddy, welcome to the club.

4WP royaly screwed me with my ring and pinion install. Let's just hope your rear end does not blow out like mine did. Also if your going to call the corporate office good luck. Those monkies are as helpful as the clowns that work at the stores. Also, dont take the time writing a letter to the President, where in the letter you use a direct quote, from him, stating that they pride themselves on customer service. You will get a response to the effect of F-OFF. Oh and they also will not give two ˟˟˟˟˟˟ that you were with out your 4Runner for 4 months while they dicked around with you, and for the most part flat out lied to you. The previous is my experience but I have also heard that the BBB approach doesn't work either. From what I understand is they created a loophole so anything negative against them from the BBB goes to their corporate office record and not onto the specific shops record.

Anyway sorry for the rant and good luck on the long journey ahead.

4WP=
Old 11-18-2004, 07:42 PM

Wow, my worst experience was when I went there to buy one of the Ez-Lockers that come in the different brand. I told the guy that I needed one for a 94 *V6* third, and they ordered me a *4cyl* one. I took it back and they would not give me a refund when it was *their* mistake! I had to wait a couple weeks for my refund, but at least I was able to get a Lock Rite at Central 4 Wheel drive instead. I have bought my Pro Comp tires from them though and have had no problems *yet*... (fingers crossed)
Old 11-18-2004, 08:08 PM

Yup 4WP sucks, the only decent thing about them is some of their prices are lower, but what i do is get a quote from them then take it to Central 4WD. Their costumer service sucks!!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:14 PM

well first its a business so they will try to make money off you.

second. BBB , Consumer Affairs, they wont care, they only way they will is if you have alot of free time and take them to small claims court. then they'll settle with you before even court starts.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:29 PM

I too have fallen victim,to what at the time seems to good to pass up at 4wheelparts. I think a 12 step program is needed. Just say no! to 4wp.