Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Transmission Fluid Change

After I drain the pan and replace the filter I will be replacing my 3rd Gen transmission fluid with Amsoil ATF using the procedure from their website in order to get a 100% change, http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq8.htm. I do not have access to any shop that willl do this for me with a flush machine (without using their fluid). If anyone on the board can tell me how to identify which of the 2 transmission lines that go to the radiator cooler is the return line and which is the outflow line I would very much appreciate it (I did a search to no avail). If anyone has done this proceedure any tips would also be appreciated, the question that comes to mind that is not addressed in the Amsoil site is; what is the best way to replace the fluid that is exiting, ie: should I pour it into the dipstick or suck it out of a countainer using the return line. Many thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fingers
After I drain the pan and replace the filter I will be replacing my 3rd Gen transmission fluid with Amsoil ATF using the procedure from their website in order to get a 100% change, http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq8.htm. I do not have access to any shop that willl do this for me with a flush machine (without using their fluid). If anyone on the board can tell me how to identify which of the 2 transmission lines that go to the radiator cooler is the return line and which is the outflow line I would very much appreciate it (I did a search to no avail). If anyone has done this proceedure any tips would also be appreciated, the question that comes to mind that is not addressed in the Amsoil site is; what is the best way to replace the fluid that is exiting, ie: should I pour it into the dipstick or suck it out of a countainer using the return line. Many thanks in advance.
Of the two lines to the radiator, the one connected to the trans that is closer to the engine should be the output line from the trans to the radiator.

It is a pressure line, but the return line is not a suction line. The fluid returns to the trans under pressure because the circuit is pressurized from the output line. You will have to add the new fluid via the dipstick.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:22 PM

Thanks this is just what I needed to know. By "...closer to the engine" I assume you mean the line closer to the side of the engine block parallel to the 2 lines (which run right next to each other) as they leave the tranny going forward. Why picture is worth a thousand words....
Old 12-06-2004, 11:43 PM

Thanks this is just what I needed to know. By "...closer to the engine" I assume you mean the line closer to the side of the engine block parallel to the 2 lines (which run right next to each other) as they leave the tranny going forward. Why picture is worth a thousand words....
Let me rephrase this; If you are looking at the passenger side of the transmission, so that the engine is on your right and the rear of the vehicle is on your left, then the output cooling line is the one that attaches to the side of the transmission, closer to the engine. The return line attaches to the trans closer to the rear of the trans. OK?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:51 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this out, I know pictures are worth a million words
I used this this past weekend when I did my transmission cooler install and put it on the return side... The writeup has a picture check out the last one
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ler/cooler.htm