Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen T-case still leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen T-case still leaking!

Well off and on must mostly on my t-case has been leaking noticeably since summer of 07. I just can't put my finger on it. I let my mechanic drive it for a week and nothing. Then I drive it and leak spot. I keep my fluids different color to determine which one is leaking if it leaks. I know it's the t-case. Thought about using something added to the oil to figure it out whether UV or fluorescent seem the uv's are pretty damn spendy. I have to get this sorted out. I checked the breather hose and nothing. My wife came up with the idea of using a black light (she's brilliant) while cost effective I need to figure out what could be added to the oil for the time being to show up under the black light. Any ideas?

Aaron
Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 PM

interesting situation...i had a simliar deal thinking it was the t-case leaking, but instead turned out to be the shift linkage came loose and while driving was slinging gear oil through the top and draining on all things...the t-case. so could it be from the top of the case?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Well off and on must mostly on my t-case has been leaking noticeably since summer of 07. I just can't put my finger on it. I let my mechanic drive it for a week and nothing. Then I drive it and leak spot. I keep my fluids different color to determine which one is leaking if it leaks. I know it's the t-case. Thought about using something added to the oil to figure it out whether UV or fluorescent seem the uv's are pretty damn spendy. I have to get this sorted out. I checked the breather hose and nothing. My wife came up with the idea of using a black light (she's brilliant) while cost effective I need to figure out what could be added to the oil for the time being to show up under the black light. Any ideas?

Aaron
Aaron...I remember some of the posts you have had about this problem. To keep from having to go through a whole lot of old threads, what have you done so far in trying to fix this?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FAO-109 Oil Additive (Fluorescent)

http://www.amgas.com/tcpage.htm
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
interesting situation...i had a simliar deal thinking it was the t-case leaking, but instead turned out to be the shift linkage came loose and while driving was slinging gear oil through the top and draining on all things...the t-case. so could it be from the top of the case?
Funny enough it is from the top but I'm not sure where. I thought perhaps I cracked the damn thing on a rock but didn't notice hairline fractures. I'm 98% certain it's leaking from the top. Shift linkage you say which portion (t-case shifter or tranny) and what or how did it come loose?

Aaron
Old 03-06-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bighead
Aaron...I remember some of the posts you have had about this problem. To keep from having to go through a whole lot of old threads, what have you done so far in trying to fix this?
Left with Mechanic for a week (yes he's reputable).
Looked and looked took the center console out and looked some more
Looked for cracks in the breather lines or non existent lines
Checked the engine end of the breather line
It seems to happen more when my budbuild skid is on as b4 (when the skid was new it contacted the t-case) I added a 1/4" flat steel bar to my installatio setup and it doesn't touch anymore. I think I notice it more when the skid is on is because it pools then as soon as I park on an incline it drains out of the skid pan (my driveway is inclined).

Aaron
Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 PM

Mine seems to always be wet all over the bottom and has a perpetual droplet hanging like it is about to drip off but I swear you could watch it all ay and that droplet would just sit there. I haven't moved the 4Runner in weeks and the spot on the driveaw is only about 4" in diameter. I think mine is the seal on the front output shaft.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Yeah forgot to mention had the front seal replaced 2 times.

Aaron
Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Funny enough it is from the top but I'm not sure where. I thought perhaps I cracked the damn thing on a rock but didn't notice hairline fractures. I'm 98% certain it's leaking from the top. Shift linkage you say which portion (t-case shifter or tranny) and what or how did it come loose?

Aaron
on my 4runner it was the transmission shifter (5-speed here)...i didn't see it personally when the transmission shop fixed it b/c they done it so quick, but apparently it was just a few (how many i do not know) bolts on top of the tranny that had backed out a little and they simply fixed it by accessing the bolts through the center console by taking off the shifter boots. these loose bolts were allowing gear oil to be slung up and out and eventually drip down onto my t-case making me tell the place my t-case was leaking as being my problem...glad it wasn't b/c it was only like $55 to fix. let us know when you figure it out...
Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
on my 4runner it was the transmission shifter (5-speed here)...i didn't see it personally when the transmission shop fixed it b/c they done it so quick, but apparently it was just a few (how many i do not know) bolts on top of the tranny that had backed out a little and they simply fixed it by accessing the bolts through the center console by taking off the shifter boots. these loose bolts were allowing gear oil to be slung up and out and eventually drip down onto my t-case making me tell the place my t-case was leaking as being my problem...glad it wasn't b/c it was only like $55 to fix. let us know when you figure it out...

Hmmm I checked the top but didn't tighten anything.

Aaron
Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 PM

This sheet ball is still leaking and today it threw up a load of oil, What the heck is going on. The oil is still coming from the top while I thought it was the fron drive shaft seal it doesn't appear to be but it's really making a mess and irking me to the point of violence.

A
Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by brazos609
Mine seems to always be wet all over the bottom and has a perpetual droplet hanging like it is about to drip off but I swear you could watch it all ay and that droplet would just sit there. I haven't moved the 4Runner in weeks and the spot on the driveaw is only about 4" in diameter. I think mine is the seal on the front output shaft.
Mine does this too. It's kinda wet on the bottom with a drop hanging there, but never any oil on the ground. Maybe it's cause the 4wd on mine wasn't used for like 6 years before I started driving it. I just hope this problem doesn't get worse each time I put it into 4wd.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:46 AM

Thats the funny thing I wasn't in 4WD I was running down the interstate for 2 hours.

A
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM

C'mon C'mon there has to be something someone knows that may help.

A
Old 10-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This just a wild guess probly totally off, but I know when the breather on the rear axle gets plugged up it blows axle tube seals like a bad habit.

Could the breather be stopped up on the t-case causing it to puke up lube oil ??

Just a thought
Old 10-17-2009, 03:04 PM

I'll check it again but it was all clear the lat time I checked.

A
Old 10-18-2009, 07:29 AM

i have a similar problem on my 02 taco. Its very little oil but after i degreased the complete transfer case and pressure washed it the damn thing never leaked again. I have been waiting for over 3 weeeks to spot a leak and nothing. Could it be that the breather was pluged? If so, why and how would this cause the leak?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 AM

Its gotta be the shifter gasket - there are two, sandwiched together. You don't need to replace it though: just take out the shifter and plate and take apart the gasket(s). Clean everything really good and use some RTV to build a new one, viola! No more leak, no more smell.

Clean off the entire area and bare witness to the new clean x-case w/no oil drops!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by nuke1105
i have a similar problem on my 02 taco. Its very little oil but after i degreased the complete transfer case and pressure washed it the damn thing never leaked again. I have been waiting for over 3 weeeks to spot a leak and nothing. Could it be that the breather was pluged? If so, why and how would this cause the leak?
Seems these unit are slightly temperamental, either the breather is clogged and they blow off oil and pressure through the next available orifice or they never leak. I'll try the shifter seal but I'm just not sure that is it. I order a leak detection kit from Napa to end this once and for all. I want to pull it apart once and for all but not twice. I will pour the dye in Tuesday when the kit cones in and see what happens, but if won't leak then I'm out of luck. Sheesh what a pain.

A
Old 10-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Any idea what would account for the vibration?

A

Quick Reply: 3rd gen T-case still leaking!