Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Radiator options WITHOUT trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:28 PM
ESQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Radiator options WITHOUT trans cooler

I bypassed my in-radiator transmission cooler about 6 years ago. The mileage is now such that I'm considering replacing the radiator due to it's age.
So this is a potential opportunity to get rid of the in-rad trans cooler PoS that is currently doing nothing and connected to itself with a piece of coolant hose.
I would also like a radiator that doesn't hang so far below the front cross member, as this is very vulnerable when I don't have my offroad skids installed.

Having done a quick search, it appears that the OEM 5VZ and 3RZ, whether manual or auto, replacement radiators are the same P/N (16410-YZZAJ e.g. http://parts.villagetoyota.com/produ...6410YZZAJ.html). Although interestingly, the P/Ns this new one supersedes were different for the manual (16400-75160) and auto (16400-75180) frame codes. Maybe they were once different?
The upshot is that it looks like the replacement for all models of 3rd gen 4Runner have the trans cooler in them, whether needed or not. Correct me if I'm wrong....

So another option might be to use the rad from the 3VZ motor (3.slow). I understand that people keep their 3VZ rads when swapping in a 5VZ into a 2nd gen runner and they work just fine. The upper hose should still fit but a custom lower hose is apparently required (http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...4l-conversion/). That makes me think that the 3VZ rad is not as tall.

Can anyone confirm if a 3VZ radiator
1) is available without a transmission cooler (manual trans model?)?
2) will fit the 3rd gen rad brackets?
3) is shorter than the 3rd gen radiator?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have a 3 row Copper brass Radiator in my 2000 Tacoma 3.4 and my 92 4Runner 3.4 and also in my 86 22rtec it fits in all of them and works fine

I just made some custom brackets for the Tacoma in bolted right in the 92

I just want shopping for the lower hose I wish I had a part number to give

I have had these for several years most all aftermarket radiators seem to be set up with the auto trans coolers

If you PM me your dimensions I would be glad to measure mine
Old 04-05-2017, 05:44 PM
ESQ

Thanks. When I get a spare moment, I'll measure up the rad and post it here.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I have a 3 row Copper brass Radiator in my 2000 Tacoma 3.4 and my 92 4Runner 3.4 and also in my 86 22rtec it fits in all of them and works fine

I just made some custom brackets for the Tacoma in bolted right in the 92

I just want shopping for the lower hose I wish I had a part number to give

I have had these for several years most all aftermarket radiators seem to be set up with the auto trans coolers

If you PM me your dimensions I would be glad to measure mine
Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 PM
ESQ

5VZ-FE auto trans radiator height (top to bottom of side steel brackets) is 26in. Width is also 26in. Hangs about 2 1/2in below cross member. I've shown where the main hoses connect as well. Would be great to know the dimensions of the 3VZ rad (or any other slightly shorter rad that fits the other dimensions).

Old 11-15-2022, 11:05 AM

Were you able to find a radiator w/o the trans cooler that worked?

Were you able to find a radiator w/o the trans cooler that worked?

Mine is leaking coolant at one of the inlets and I'm looking to replace the radiator with one that does not include the trans cooler and add an external cooler instead.

Originally Posted by ESQ
I bypassed my in-radiator transmission cooler about 6 years ago. The mileage is now such that I'm considering replacing the radiator due to it's age.
So this is a potential opportunity to get rid of the in-rad trans cooler PoS that is currently doing nothing and connected to itself with a piece of coolant hose.
I would also like a radiator that doesn't hang so far below the front cross member, as this is very vulnerable when I don't have my offroad skids installed.

Having done a quick search, it appears that the OEM 5VZ and 3RZ, whether manual or auto, replacement radiators are the same P/N (16410-YZZAJ e.g. http://parts.villagetoyota.com/produ...6410YZZAJ.html). Although interestingly, the P/Ns this new one supersedes were different for the manual (16400-75160) and auto (16400-75180) frame codes. Maybe they were once different?
The upshot is that it looks like the replacement for all models of 3rd gen 4Runner have the trans cooler in them, whether needed or not. Correct me if I'm wrong....

So another option might be to use the rad from the 3VZ motor (3.slow). I understand that people keep their 3VZ rads when swapping in a 5VZ into a 2nd gen runner and they work just fine. The upper hose should still fit but a custom lower hose is apparently required (http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...4l-conversion/). That makes me think that the 3VZ rad is not as tall.

Can anyone confirm if a 3VZ radiator
1) is available without a transmission cooler (manual trans model?)?
2) will fit the 3rd gen rad brackets?
3) is shorter than the 3rd gen radiator?

Last edited by coyota4r; 11-15-2022 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-15-2022, 01:42 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Many do not have the instruments, or take the time to find out what their actual tranny oil temps are under different conditions and too cold is nearly as bad as too hot.
It is usually a mistake to bypass the radiator 'cooler' when adding an external tranny cooler, especially if you live where temps often drop far below freezing.
The radiator cooler also functions to warm the oil when ambient temps are very cold and drives condensed moisture from the oil and tranny.
Auto trannys function best and hold up longest when their oil is at a fairly even, but not too hot, or cold, temp.
I have always installed any new air to oil cooler before the radiator cooler and found the tranny temps to remain reasonable without being too cold when operated in very cold conditions.
There are of course,thermostatic fan operated schemes and such, to regulate cooling, but this sort of thing introduces extra modes of failure that don't need to be tolerated.

Last edited by millball; 11-15-2022 at 01:50 PM.