Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extra pipes on the back of a new radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extra pipes on the back of a new radiator?

Hey all! I bought a new radiator from 1-800 Radiator (last radiator was theirs too, but rust got it after 200k). The new one is black, light, shiny, and has two extra pipes on the back. Is this the wrong radiator? My old rad does NOT have these. If its wrong, I'd be mighty mad since its a bit of a journey to their local shop here..

Old 08-18-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's for a Trans cooler, it's fine. You can connect them via rubber hose if you want I don't THINK it matters tho or run it to the trans and utilize it. It help with towing and keepin it cool while off roading (unless u have trans cooler already)

As long as dimensions match up your good. I am putting a v6 CSF radiator in my 4 cylinder truck

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-18-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-18-2016, 12:14 PM

That is a radiator for an auto (I'm assuming you have a manual trans otherwise you wouldn't be asking about the extra pipes ). As Freak said, it's where you would connect the hoses for the trans cooler on an automatic. It's not the correct radiator in that respect. Either you ordered incorrectly or they sent you the wrong one since they have both listed on their website.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kean
That is a radiator for an auto (I'm assuming you have a manual trans otherwise you wouldn't be asking about the extra pipes ). As Freak said, it's where you would connect the hoses for the trans cooler on an automatic. It's not the correct radiator in that respect. Either you ordered incorrectly or they sent you the wrong one since they have both listed on their website.
interesting. They didn't ask me manual/auto. They asked year, make, model, engine size. Boom, pick it up outside by the loading dock. I looked around on eBay and I saw some that were for both automatic and manual with those hoses. Strange. If I ran rubber hose, would it be fine? I'm more so mad since their location is a drive, and its too late to go now. I'd have to do it tomorrow before they closed. And, they didn't ask me.

Last edited by 128keaton; 08-18-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Pretty much all radiators come set up with the trans cooler

All my new ones came that way.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 128keaton
interesting. They didn't ask me manual/auto. They asked year, make, model, engine size. Boom, pick it up outside by the loading dock. I looked around on eBay and I saw some that were for both automatic and manual with those hoses. Strange. If I ran rubber hose, would it be fine? I'm more so mad since their location is a drive, and its too late to go now. I'd have to do it tomorrow before they closed. And, they didn't ask me.
As mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue running that radiator as long everything else is the same (e.g. mount locations, plumbing). Maybe you can give them a call tomorrow just for some reassurance? When I looked on their website, the selections included A/T or M/T in the product descriptions like this:

Without Turbo | A/T | Plastic Tanks | Aluminum Core | Alternative Construction
...and this:

Without Turbo | M/T | Bottom Hose Connection At End OF Tank | Plastic Tanks | Aluminum Core | Alternative Construction
Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Pretty much all radiators come set up with the trans cooler

All my new ones came that way.
Like Wyoming9 said, almost all new radiators come like this regardless of the transmission in the truck.

You should be fine since the transmission cooler only circulates ATF and not coolant. Nothing should come out as long as the radiator was made properly.

I believe you have the correct radiator.