Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.sloooowww!

Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.sloooowww!

I'm aware the 3.0 V6 is low HP/torque engine, but this is ridiculous! I just bought a 93 4x4 xtracab with automatic tranny, 33 inch tires and stock gearing. I have 30 miles on a brand new shortblock installed by the local toyota dealership, and this vehicle is as slow and unresposive as my previous 82 yota 4x4 4 cylinder with 190k miles. While driving up a steep grade on the way home today, im driving 50 mph with O/D off, running around 3500 RPM with the pedal to the floor and absolutely could not accelerate, actually I was losing speed! Is this normal? Will it help to re-gear for bigger tires? Will it improve after engine break in? I cant imagine towing anything with this vehicle. (BTW the truck is stock). What can I do to improve power besides headers or filter housing modification? Any advise or comments wre appreciated.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't own a 3.0 but those tires are definately not helping ya in the go fast category....deck mod will definately help the breathing and regearing sounds like a necessity. Maybe someone with a similar setup can chime in here.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:20 PM

Post Start Small!

I say try changing the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, & rotor. Sounds like you are having issues. I have a 3.0 and even though im running 35s I am able to push pretty hard. I am also at 203K! Change the small things if they have not already and if no change go to the next step maybe having your cats flow checked. If there is a backup there it will hold you up. Let me know what you find. Blue
Old 08-08-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Start Small!

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
I say try changing the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, & rotor. Sounds like you are having issues. I have a 3.0 and even though im running 35s I am able to push pretty hard. I am also at 203K! Change the small things if they have not already and if no change go to the next step maybe having your cats flow checked. If there is a backup there it will hold you up. Let me know what you find. Blue
DITTO! Mine only has 235/75r15s but it still has a decent amount of get up and go.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Can't hurt to just do all the classic tune up stuff to ensure it isn't something stupid holding the motor back.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:55 PM

Might aswell spend $50 on tune toys being its a new or rebuilt engine. If the tune toys have not been put on by you or the shop that did the engine then just do it being it will need em sooner or later. Ive heard from exh. shops telling me the cats are easily backed up. If its the bolt on cat just unbolt it and smash all the inners out to get more flow. I would do it as I need to on mine but mines welded on and I have not figured in time to chop it off and have a shop do the welding it back on after the mod. Good power up there though. I just got all itchy to wanna do that mod. Danget you! JK
Old 08-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Might aswell spend $50 on tune toys being its a new or rebuilt engine. If the tune toys have not been put on by you or the shop that did the engine then just do it being it will need em sooner or later. Ive heard from exh. shops telling me the cats are easily backed up. If its the bolt on cat just unbolt it and smash all the inners out to get more flow. I would do it as I need to on mine but mines welded on and I have not figured in time to chop it off and have a shop do the welding it back on after the mod. Good power up there though. I just got all itchy to wanna do that mod. Danget you! JK
When I worked as a mech I saw quite a few backed up and if the customer was a friend.....we did exactly what you were talking about....ram it down on a big ass pipe and smash the guts out. Usually got a bit peppier (and louder) after that. It is illegal to run with no cat in most states tho.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
When I worked as a mech I saw quite a few backed up and if the customer was a friend.....we did exactly what you were talking about....ram it down on a big ass pipe and smash the guts out. Usually got a bit peppier (and louder) after that. It is illegal to run with no cat in most states tho.
Some guys go as far as to take the housing off the cat weld a straight pipe in and to cover the illegalness they weld the cat shell over the straight piping to look legal. all this talk has got me excited to do this mod i hear so much about but never do.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Some guys go as far as to take the housing off the cat weld a straight pipe in and to cover the illegalness they weld the cat shell over the straight piping to look legal.
LOL......that was too much work for us.....
Old 08-08-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If WA has a sniff test like PA, they'll figure it out even if it's disguised - and then you'll get a well deserved fine...
Old 08-09-2003, 02:18 AM

LMAO yeah right, not in my lifetime Ceb. I live in a small town of 55K and no emissions tests. I can do whatever I wanna to my exhaust and will get away with it until some narc goes and tells the Staters that its not fair Ben can go without a cat but we have to. I guess knowing all of the local coppers has its benefits to. Its getting out on that damn highway when the diks get me.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Contributing Member

Blu your going to stir up some controversy with that last post take it easy on the whole LAW thing on a public forum. If your breaking the law keep it to yourself and better yet don't do it! To keep this thread on track to increase your pep there are some small things you can do to help but short of regearing or swapping your stuck with a gutless truck. Read my sig line for some stuff to get you going. There's a write up in the tech section on how to do the ISR and airbox mod.. Good luck BTW you say your truck is stock but how you runnin 33's?
Old 08-09-2003, 03:44 AM

After market filtration system: K&N
Air box mod: done
upgraded exhaust:completed
Illegal stuff: lol not here, talk is cheap and im a good guy.
Tires: 35s not 33s
Stock aka factory: nah
Old 08-09-2003, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BBB - I didn't realize you had headers. How much did that one mod help performance?

BTW, I believe Joey was directing his comment about 33's to the thread author in an effort to stay on-topic.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:03 AM

Well you need 5.29's for those tires. You didn't mention what you have. To get to the original poster loyota33: 33's and stock gearing could mean 4.10, 4.30, or 4.56. You need 4.88 to maintain stock gearing and if you do a lot of wheeling 5.29 would be nice.

Look at UKMyers sig. Joey has done a lot of good things to his truck. I've done the airbox and advanced my timing both with good results. I'm running 32's with 4.56 gearing and really am considering 4.88 since I'm sure I'll put 33's on next time. These trucks were slow from the factory but the poor power/weight ratio really becomes evident when you are not geared well. I know a lot of guys running around with domestic trucks, 37s, and 4.10's. I'm jealous of their torque.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a little off topic, but does anybody know what i should regear to if i decide to get a lift and 33s? my stock ratio is 4.375. my speedo is off pretty bad on the freeway, almost about 10 over i think, since the tires are a bit bigger than stock(31s i think)
Old 08-09-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Cebby
BBB - I didn't realize you had headers. How much did that one mod help performance?

BTW, I believe Joey was directing his comment about 33's to the thread author in an effort to stay on-topic.
Headers? No headers here. The exhaust mod I did was simply getting larger exhaust tubing, high performance muffler, and a super duper fast looking exhaust tip. So sorry I got off topic, I will stop.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:28 AM

Here's the gear chart you're looking for...

Gear Chart

Victor, you forgot a gear.... Toyota sent some V6's out with factory 4.88's.

What I'm curious.... everyone complains about the 3.slo... So what I want to know... what tires and what gears are you complainers running?

I'm running 32's with 4.88 gears, and I can't complain. I've got plenty of power, and no problem passing people on those 2 lane freeway onramps.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:49 AM

yup. 31" tire package with auto got 4.88 as an option. The problem is that it uses a unique carrier for the gears and you can't put aftermarket gears in that carrier or use the factory 4.88 in any other carrier. That limits its availability.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:00 PM

Well, something is amiss then. I've got a 91 V6 4x4 MANUAL with factory 4.88 gears. Unless there is a way to swap a factory 4.88 into other rearends. I have a detroit in the back, so my rearend HAS been opened up. But it was a Toyota 4.88 ring gear that I just demolished.

Search this Thread