Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4L conversion won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gadget
When looking at the plug schematics like you have there, you have to view it as if the plug is facing you with the wires going away from you. Many times this gets people completely backwards and causes all kinds of problems.

This is why when I do connection guides for the different calibration units URD sells I use the ECU layout that would be as if you are looking at the plug with the wires going away from you to and into the plug. This is how you would view it when the plug is plugged into the ECU.

Gadget
I know this and this is why I marked on the page for the connector (female) plug on the engine wiring harness. That page in particular comes directly from the 5VZE engine wiring diagram section of the FSM. Otherwise the #1 terminal would be on the opposite side of the plug.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:57 PM

Pozi
As stated before, I can cross reference your ecu part number(s) to a particular year if you like. Just give me your 89661-XXXXX. Also, if you have the VIN for for the engine/wiring harness, the year can be decoded easily by determining what alphanumeric is in the VIN's 10th digit position...

T = 96, V = 97, W = 98, X = 99, Y = 00, 1 = 01, 2 = 02
Old 07-17-2006, 01:13 PM

My ECU number is 89661-3D360

I have to get the engine VIN today after work.

The engine wiring harness does not have a part number on it anymore either.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pozi,
I cross referenced your ECU on ECU direct and this was the closest I could find. It is from a 98 4Runner so thats pretty close to what you were told.
89661-3D361 Base V6-3378cc 3.4L 5VZFE FI N W/MT 4WD
89661-3D371 Base V6-3378cc 3.4L 5VZFE FI N W/AT 4WD

I'll call my friend at the dealer and see if he can come up with something else if noone else is able to help.

,Thomas

Last edited by Tragic Drive; 07-17-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tragic Drive
Pozi,
I cross referenced your ECU on ECU direct and this was the closest I could find. It is from a 98 4Runner so thats pretty close to what you were told.
89661-3D361 Base V6-3378cc 3.4L 5VZFE FI N W/MT 4WD
89661-3D371 Base V6-3378cc 3.4L 5VZFE FI N W/AT 4WD

I'll call my friend at the dealer and see if he can come up with something else if noone else is able to help.

,Thomas
That is great information. However I was able to find the tag that was attached to the engine wiring harness that came with my engine. The pictures below are of the part number tag from the harness. Kind of hard to make out the numbers though. Can someone who knows what they are looking at decipher this and make it out to something?

Oh and by the way. My injectors are gray. Also I am unable to find the VIN number stamped on the engine.....I can't find it!!!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only number I've seen on my 5VZFE is stamped on the block just above the oil filter. Don't know if that's a VIN number or not though.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:23 PM

That number that is stamped in is the engine serial number. I am sure that can be cross referenced to the VIN by the dealer if they want to help you.

I found the VIN plate. It is under the timing belt cover on the passenger side. It faces the front on the face of the engine right on the edge of the block. It is just forward of the freeze plug for cylinder #1 in the block. I doubt you will be able to get to it without taking a bunch of stuff off.

The most important thing is the make sure that the harness and ECU belong together. There is very little on the engine side that is different. In 99 they changed the MAF sensor and the pinouts on the MAF plug. Then on some 03 and 04 Tacos with autos they went to a TBW throttle system. Other then those changes, I think all the sensors on the engine are the same and should plug in, I think anyway...

Gadget
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 AM

Ok as it turns out Mike from ORS tracked down the numbers from my engine wiring harness and it turns out that my engine harness is from a 96 4Runner with AUTOMATIC transmission!!!

This really makes me mad because I was originally told that they engine is from a 98 4Runner with Manual. But what makes things even stranger is the fact that the engine had a flywheel and clutch bolted to it when I got it! I bought the engine June 2005. I have the receipt but is there any recourse I have with the wrecking yard that sold me the engine?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pozi
Ok as it turns out Mike from ORS tracked down the numbers from my engine wiring harness and it turns out that my engine harness is from a 96 4Runner with AUTOMATIC transmission!!!

This really makes me mad because I was originally told that they engine is from a 98 4Runner with Manual. But what makes things even stranger is the fact that the engine had a flywheel and clutch bolted to it when I got it! I bought the engine June 2005. I have the receipt but is there any recourse I have with the wrecking yard that sold me the engine?
Pozi, this is great news and honestly I wouldn't worry about going back after that boneyard because usually it won't get you anywhere. Now what your going to need to do is redo that harness to match a 98 harness w/ manual transmission (or the more expensive, but perhaps easier choice is to find the correct harness for your 98 w/MT.......just find the correct P/N before you go out searching so you can verify on the spot before paying for it)

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-18-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Pozi, this is great news and honestly I wouldn't worry about going back after that boneyard because usually it won't get you anywhere. Now what your going to need to do is redo that harness to match a 98 harness w/ manual transmission (or the more expensive, but perhaps easier choice is to find the correct harness for your 98 w/MT.......just find the correct P/N before you go out searching so you can verify on the spot before paying for it)
I was afraid of that. Not going through the wrecking yard. Although I did talk with the guy who sold me the engine and of course he had no recollection of the same. :shrug:

So moving on....After talking with my local stealership trying to get a part number for the engine wiring harness he needed a VIN number....Something I do not have obviously. He mentioned that trying to guess at a engine wiring harness is not a wise thing to do. I even offered up my ECU part number to him with the same result. It would seem to me that I need to speak with another dealer and who is more helpful.

What is the deal? How do I match the ECU and engine wiring harness. Or just scrap both my ECU AND HARNESS then buy them together as a set????
Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

I was afraid of that. Not going through the wrecking yard. Although I did talk with the guy who sold me the engine and of course he had no recollection of the same. :shrug:

So moving on....After talking with my local stealership trying to get a part number for the engine wiring harness he needed a VIN number....Something I do not have obviously. He mentioned that trying to guess at a engine wiring harness is not a wise thing to do. I even offered up my ECU part number to him with the same result. It would seem to me that I need to speak with another dealer and who is more helpful.

What is the deal? How do I match the ECU and engine wiring harness. Or just scrap both my ECU AND HARNESS then buy them together as a set????
You could try three things to get a new harness that matches your ECU:

1) See if Mike at ORS can give you a list of correct harnesses for 98 vehicles w/ MT (or even w/ auto) or crossreference the ECU

2) Find/use the VIN off your 98 motor to reference the correct harness for your 98 motor (may still have issues with this route since you want to mate the harness and ECU ideally)

3) Ask other 3rd gen owners to check their ECUs for the same P/N and use their VIN to cross-refernece a harness P/N (use PM so you don't have to post anyone's actual VINs on the net). The ECU is easy to check since it is right behind the passenger side kick panel.

The last option is just to get knee deep in wiring diagrams and make the harness you have work for you (this is probably going to require some work but it's the cheapest option and more than likely the one I personally would probably choose). You'll also have a thorough understanding of all the sensors in the motor, the signals the ECU sends/recieves, etc which may help with future diagnosis. The pins at the connector should be quite easy to remove and replace into different locations or you can use the cut, solder, heat shrink method as well.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-18-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dang salvage yards, they don't give a ˟˟˟˟˟. That's why I got the whole donor truck.

So what do you need a VIN number for (year and model)? Try starting a new thread and asking for one. I got lucky last time I needed a VIN for a brake line and found a truck in a parking lot that was the excact year and model I needed and I just copied the VIN# through the window.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That's why I got the whole donor truck.
That makes the entire job ALOT easier.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 PM

That makes the entire job ALOT easier.
yeah that is clear as day for me now.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

yeah that is clear as day for me now.
Don't beat yourself up over it....hindsight is always 20/20. You'll get a working engine in there with a little perseverence too, you just took the "scenic route" to arrive at the same destination.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:17 AM

My ECU number is 89661-3D360

I have to get the engine VIN today after work.

The engine wiring harness does not have a part number on it anymore either.
Pozi, sorry for the delay. Your ECU numbers are for a 4Runner, Federal, 3/98-7/98. In summary, you'll need to re-pin your harness to match the 98 ECU pinout in the 98 EWD. It's not to bad to re-pin the harness; you can use a very small eyeglass screwdriver to lift the tabs holding the pins in the plugs. You prolly only need to move a handful of pins. Have fun!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:01 AM

You could try three things to get a new harness that matches your ECU:

1) See if Mike at ORS can give you a list of correct harnesses for 98 vehicles w/ MT (or even w/ auto) or crossreference the ECU

2) Find/use the VIN off your 98 motor to reference the correct harness for your 98 motor (may still have issues with this route since you want to mate the harness and ECU ideally)

3) Ask other 3rd gen owners to check their ECUs for the same P/N and use their VIN to cross-refernece a harness P/N (use PM so you don't have to post anyone's actual VINs on the net). The ECU is easy to check since it is right behind the passenger side kick panel.

The last option is just to get knee deep in wiring diagrams and make the harness you have work for you (this is probably going to require some work but it's the cheapest option and more than likely the one I personally would probably choose). You'll also have a thorough understanding of all the sensors in the motor, the signals the ECU sends/recieves, etc which may help with future diagnosis. The pins at the connector should be quite easy to remove and replace into different locations or you can use the cut, solder, heat shrink method as well.
Thanks for that. I have elected to use the last option. I downloaded the EWD for the 96 and there are about 22 pinouts that need to be changed. However there is a pinout for the power steering pressure switch that is non-existent on the 96 EWD which I am going to just ignor.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for that. I have elected to use the last option. I downloaded the EWD for the 96 and there are about 22 pinouts that need to be changed. However there is a pinout for the power steering pressure switch that is non-existent on the 96 EWD which I am going to just ignor.
If that pressure switch pinout causes you any problems, you can always have someone measure the resistance to ground on theirs and then you can just solder the correct resistor inline on a path to ground. I doubt ignoring it will cause any ill effects though.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:10 PM

If that pressure switch pinout causes you any problems, you can always have someone measure the resistance to ground on theirs and then you can just solder the correct resistor inline on a path to ground. I doubt ignoring it will cause any ill effects though.

That pressure switch is simply an on/off switch- Hydraulic pressure closes the switch and it sends that signal to the ECU which in turn increases the RPMs slightly at idle to compensate for the load; it doesn't need to be hooked up.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Willcipher
That pressure switch is simply an on/off switch- Hydraulic pressure closes the switch and it sends that signal to the ECU which in turn increases the RPMs slightly at idle to compensate for the load; it doesn't need to be hooked up.
That is one less connector I have to worry about. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 3.4L conversion won't start!