Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd gen IFS sway front sway bar, is it really important?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen IFS sway front sway bar, is it really important?

Hi, I was wondering if any one has done any tests to see if you would really even notice a difference running your truck with the sway bar or with out. I am thinking about taking mine off all together but dont want it to handle funny on the highway. Any input would be great or any input on sway bar disconnects??? How do they work and are they worth looking into? or would I be better off just taking the thing out and slowing down a little on the highway!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've run without for about 3 months now. It handles differently. After you get used to it, it isn't all that bad.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
My front sway bar has been gone for a year or more now. It does handle differently, but you get use to it. There is a noticable difference when 4-wheeling too. My stock LCA bumpstops were never touched with the sway bar on, but without it, my low profile bumpstops will easily touch the frame.

Last edited by az4x4runner; 07-28-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
Hi, I was wondering if any one has done any tests to see if you would really even notice a difference running your truck with the sway bar or with out. I am thinking about taking mine off all together but dont want it to handle funny on the highway. Any input would be great or any input on sway bar disconnects??? How do they work and are they worth looking into? or would I be better off just taking the thing out and slowing down a little on the highway!
Here are the discos I got: http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/disconnects.htm

I don't like the handling at high speeds without them connected. Definately slow down if you take it off. How much roll or sway you'll have depends on the stiffness of your t-bars.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jake94
I had a anoying squeek from my front end last week. I thought it may have been from the sway bar bushings, so I disconnected it. My advice is, don't remove it! Alot more "roll" in turns and alot of "nose dive" when braking.

Check out 4Crawlers web site for discos

Jake.
I dont mean to steal the thread but...
Did you figure out what was making the squeeking sound? My truck has been making a squeeking sound from the front end.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 3rd option is Lars Dennerts' for $80 including shipping:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/larsdennert/4runner/swaybar/
Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
A 3rd option is Lars Dennerts' for $80 including shipping:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/larsdennert/4runner/swaybar/
Not for a 1st gen though...
Old 07-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

front end noise

My truck was making an annoying noise like when I would go over the speed bumps at work, I changed my sway bar bushings to pro thanes and it made a HUGE difference, then I installed new shocks with poly lower bushings and that made it even better than the sway bushings! Does it do it when your wheels are turned lock to lock left or right, if so its the stoppers, there is a plastic covered bolt head stopper that rubs when you turn all the way, I use a small ammount of anti seaze compound on mine and it shuts them up for months! I would look into the sway bar kit, I bought new end links at AutoZone for $14 and a set of the sway bar bushings themselves for a few dollars. Your end liknks are most likely ruseted tight like mine, my passenger side had to be cut from the sway bar where the drivers side came right off. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arn't those the ones Cebby broke?
Dunno... I've given them some pretty good jolts and haven't had any issues.

UPDATE: You got me curious and I searched a bit. I've found posts where Cebby refers to having broken two sets on the street (with no prior wheeling) but he doesn't mention who's they were. Maybe he'll pop in here.

Last edited by midiwall; 07-28-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Banned

mines been gone since i lifted it.... i took both off my explorer before too..... you do notice some extra bodyroll over stock, but in my opinion it makes up for the amount of increased suspension travel, and if you arent trying to drive the car like a miata, there wont be any issue about it
Old 07-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

I took off my rear bar awhile back, but never did the front.

I actually ended up taking the front bar off a couple of days ago. There is a noticeable difference on, and off road.

The on-road roll doesn't bother me as I mostly drive slow around town. The off road difference made me question why I hadn't done it sooner though.

With the front bar on, my rear wheel used to leave the ground on one point of a trail I frequent. After I took it off, I went down the trail and my wheel never left the ground at that point anymore. It made a BIG difference.

You just have to ask yourself which is more important: Wheel Travel or Stability.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:08 PM

Removed mine about three months ago, too. It does roll more around corners, but I haven't noticed any "nose diving" during hard breaking. I notice it the most during high winds on the highway. Not having it on does take away a margin of safety, IMO. Probably more prone to a roll-over accident and decreased stability during evasive manuvers. F it...who wants to live forever.

Ed
Old 07-28-2004, 03:31 PM

Arn't those the ones Cebby broke?

Jake.
Cebby broke Lee's discos. (3rd person reference ) I'm designing some stout air controlled ones - hopefully for release by December.

Lars and FROR seem pretty strong by design...
Old 07-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Epic Ed
... I haven't noticed any "nose diving" during hard breaking.
Ed
You're not going to, the sway bar does nothing for front to rear motion. It only affects the side to side motion.

I like to think my sway bar is going to reduce the chance of loosing control when my tire blows on the freeway.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:13 PM

I've noticed a BIG difference after disconnecting both front and rear sway bars. It's to the point where it's almost scary to drive at highway speeds (70+ mph). I now go a little slower and am in the process of building my own but may actually buy some. Finding the right parts has been extremely difficult.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

i routinely drive well over 70, probably in the 85+ to 90ish range and it isnt scary at all... i have 31" bfg muds, 3" of body lift and 4" of suspension lift.... my truck shakes more at idle at a stopp than most cars do at 70 mph on a freeway.....

if it is that scary, you shouldnt drive a truck... buy a car......

as far as nosediving, there shouldnt be an issue, if your truck nosedives, you have crappy shocks
Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
if it is that scary, you shouldnt drive a truck... buy a car......
Ummmm...I don't want to drive a car thank you very much.

I haven't replaced my front shocks since the lift. Also steering stabilizer is garbage so I contribute it to both of those reasons. Plus probably bad alignment courtesy of Les Schwab
Old 07-29-2004, 06:20 AM

When my friend drove my runner on the road he thought it is very tipsy compared to his nissan without swaybars as well but I don't have my torsions cranked up like his to achive lift so mine out flexes him offroad easily. Without swaybars it is just way different you just have to take things alot slower and if you drive it in the winter on the roads. Definately put the front one back on unless you know how to handle your tipsy vehicle like that on ice in emergency situations. I drove mine short distances last winter without swaybars after I had to take a long trip on the interstate down to the southern part of the state I hit some ice in 2wd without swaybars it was plain scary the rear was fishtailing everywhere. I slowed down and pulled off put it in 4wd and continued slow like 30-35 mph tops.
If I lived in a warm place like CA or AZ and didn't go up to the mountains I wouldn't worry about swaybars.

Last edited by 934rnr; 07-29-2004 at 06:29 AM.