Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd gen 4R hard starts, any ideas/

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen 4R hard starts, any ideas/

About 3 weeks ago it started to take 2 or 3 turns to get it to start. 1 day it wouldn't turn at all for about an hour. It has continued to turn on the 2nd or 3rd turn now (only on cold starts). After I start it up though, if I try to start it within a few hours it'll turn on the first try but after a few hours it requires multiple turns like a cold start at the beginning of the day.

I also smell an odor like gas but I can't find evidence of a gas leak (it only leaks what appears to be oil/fluid from maybe the TC or tranny because its way too far back to be the engine, and water from the AC which is normal)

I am wondering what I should try to do to correct this. I was thinking starter but I don't think a dieing starter would last a month? It always holds a charge so I don't think its a battery problem. I haven't ever lost power while driving so can't be altenator. It has the orginal plug wires from 1991 with 165k miles and I never took the wires off to check spark plug condition but I have a feeling its been awhile since those were changed too. Do you guys think it could be an ignition problem? I was also thinking something wrong with a fuel line maybe and thats why I smell gas but can't find out where its coming from a clog or something and it wouldn't be getting enough gas to start? But wouldn't that hinder ALL performance while driving? Thing feels the same though from day 1 always slow with my 3.0 but the starting problem is recent. I was thinking more than likely though its an ignition problem and my gas problem is an o2 sensor causing me to run too rich.

Also I think its a factory security system as I was told by one shop that I had look over it when I first bought it say they have seen other 'yota trucks with them, but I have a little button on the left side that I have to press until the light comes on before I can start it. And sometimes it has taken 15+ presses to get it to stay on. Wonder if this is factory and either way if it could be part of the problem?

Last edited by hale; 09-08-2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

I had a similar problem with my '95, check out the CSI (cold start injector), the wire was cut on mine so the thing wasn't even working so that made it hella hard to start when it was cold or even after sitting for a while.

Check that out and see what you find, if its not that then let us know and we can throw some more ideas at ya.

Fink
Old 09-09-2004, 02:56 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I had a similar problem with my '95, check out the CSI (cold start injector), the wire was cut on mine so the thing wasn't even working so that made it hella hard to start when it was cold or even after sitting for a while...

Fink
I can't remember if my 2nd gen had a cold start switch or not, but if it's cranking ok, I'd agree that it's in your cold start circuit.