Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd Gen. 3" Downey Rear Kit Help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen. 3" Downey Rear Kit Help needed!!

Once again the Downey solution to "THE SAG" comes up. I recently purchased the spacers (used) and am fixing to buy the Downey Coils to accompany them. I was wondering if you think i should go with the HD or regular coils since I am adding the spacers. I was also wondering if cranking the T-Bars (should i go with aftermarket ones or stay with stock) would compensate enough for the added lift in the back. Currently I have 14 from rim to fender in back and 14 up front. Overall i really need to know if the 3" Downey Kit is going to reverse my problem and make the back look way too high, or if the 3" and cranked T-Bars will solve the problem. Thanks, -Andrew
Old 09-14-2003, 02:41 PM
CTB

You will definitely need to crank your bars if you get 3" in the rear. But, if you just put a set of HD coils back there, like so many of us have, your rear end will only sit a little higher than the front. If you go the full three inches in the rear, I would order a set of SAW torsion bars, and get some manual hubs for the front.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:49 PM

do some research....search under "torsion bars" for instance and you will find all the answers you are looking for...

in a nutshell...if you go with 3" downeys and spacers...there is no way youll ride level...no matter what you do to the t bars...downey sells 1.5" hd coils which is what most guys go with...it depends on your rig...sometimes with these you have to "slightly" adjust t bars...some of us ride level without any front end adjustment at all...basically these will get rid of your rear end sag...and maybe add a little lift...

as a side note...if you crank your t bars more than 1/2"-3/4"...you should really get some manual hubs to avoid possible cv problems

this is one of those topics that accurate info is easy to find with a just few searches...

hope this helps,

kai
Old 09-14-2003, 03:23 PM

I just purchased the spacers in the Classified Section a few days ago and so those are going in. So are you saying that Manual Hubs (likely go with Asin's) and SAW or Downey T-Bars won't be enough for the 3"? Right now im looking at a 2" difference from back to front. I've been looking for an alternative to just cranking the t-Bars but can't seem to find one. This info really helps. Two additional things: 1. I plan on getting the stock shocks replaced while the coils are being done and either want Bils or Rancho 5000. What does everyone prefer and what model # Bilsteins would fit with the 3" addition? 2. I called around to a few local garages and they wanted $150 for the coil and rear shock installation. This seems very high to me and I was wondering roughly how many hours of labor it normally takes to do the coils, shocks, spacers, and brake line so i can get an idea if this is consistent with their hourly rates. I really would like to try the installation myself but my dad refuses because one of his childhood neighbors almost killed themsevles with some coil springs and he doesn't care how safe i tell him it is. Thanks for all the help to the repetitve questions from us newbies. -Andrew
Old 09-14-2003, 03:45 PM

You should be fine doing the rears. You won't even need to mess with a spring compressor (which is the part that has most potential danger). Hell if I'm trying it, you definitly should try it. Pretty simple task. Any like always, if you have any questions just come on the boards and ask, and most likely you'll get an answer in a matter of minutes!

Also you have the comfort of doing it in your own home, while some of us are a few thousand miles from home haha
Old 09-14-2003, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, you've got mail regardinf the spacers.

Second, I ran 3" of rear lift with no real front lift, ie 15" rim to fender and it looked darn close to level to me.

The type of torsion bar, thickness etc, has little impact on the front end height except for ride. Any torsion bar cranking should be avoided at all costs, especially with aftermarket bars. Even with 25mm Sway-Aways and an ARB up front, my truck is stiff. Keep the stockers, save some money and have a truck that rides and wheels a lot smoother.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:46 PM

You've got mail Flyght. Unfortunately not pleasing but my mom decided against any lift components. I was using her card cause she said to buy myself a present around 100$ but when she found out she freaked. Sorry about the inconvience again. Looks like im out of the market for any suspension components guys. Thanks for yall's help though. A Detroit Locker now takes the place of coils, spacers, and or torsions.