Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22R (E) Engine...How Many Miles??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sitting on 281K at the moment.

I had the head gasket blow and got the head shaved a ton and bigger pistions put on. Still the original engine.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:56 PM

With 140,000 on my 84 should I be looking at changing my timing chain just to cover my own a$$. I don't want to take a chance and have to do a total rebuild cause I was cheap.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gots 191K on my "87 Runner
Old 09-17-2003, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Too bad Toyota didn't stick with the double-row setup in the '81 - '83 22R...
well, i have an 83, with the orriginal motor, and it is single row. it changed to double in 84.

i had my guides break and end up in the oil pan, and let me tell you, picking little oil covered pieces of plastic out of your oil pan is not fun. but on the bright sied, i had no sludge buildup. that was at 116K that happened to me. now at 130k, on the odometer. it has had bigger tires its whole life, and when i figured i out at 124K, it actually had almost 141,500.so its actually right arround 148,400. still running strong.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

With 140,000 on my 84 should I be looking at changing my timing chain just to cover my own a$$. I don't want to take a chance and have to do a total rebuild cause I was cheap.
i would do it just to be safe. it is actually a pretty simple job, it is just tedious and time consuming. if you do it yourself, if will run you arround $150-$200, depending on where you get your parts. a BASIC socket set got me through mine, without any major problems.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:38 PM

Only got 190K on my '86.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:51 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my opinion, if a single row chain is capable of snapping a camshaft in half at the middle bearing journal (common result of poor upper end oiling), then it is more than enough. I just hate seeing people needlessly spending money on kits like LCE's to convert a newer 22 to dual when it won't help them any. [/B][/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I see where you're coming from here. I would not spend the money to convert mine over, I only meant that back in the day when Toyota used the double-row setup, the things did not need replaced as I see them needing it now (working at a dealer as I do). I would, however spend the $ on a set of the metal-backed guides if I ever have mine apart again. The old double-row setup was a good example of over-engineering, but you couldn't kill 'em!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by joez
well, i have an 83, with the orriginal motor, and it is single row. it changed to double in 84.
Nope. Toyota used a dual-row chain from 81-83 (carried over from the 20r) and made the change to single in mid-83.

Originally posted by Toyo22R-E
I only meant that back in the day when Toyota used the double-row setup, the things did not need replaced as I see them needing it now (working at a dealer as I do). I would, however spend the $ on a set of the metal-backed guides if I ever have mine apart again. The old double-row setup was a good example of over-engineering, but you couldn't kill 'em!
Very true, since the guides lasted forever the chain could go much longer before needing to be changed. In that situation the replacement was due to chain wear and not frayed nerves from worrying about the plastic guides.

Bad Toyota, Bad! shouldn't have hired those damned bean counters...

*ahem* so... um... back to the original topic of high mileage?

Last edited by Shane; 09-17-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:23 PM

*ahem* so... um... back to the original topic of high mileage? [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL We have strayed a bit off the original topic...:pat:
Old 09-17-2003, 09:15 PM

mine just passed 258,000 (22RE)and it wouldnt pass emissions anymore so i am in the middle of re-building it.this time though it will be able to pull a tree stump out of the ground!!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my 20R(22r's 2.2l predecessor,same block, smaller bore and has a hemi head) has 304,000 miles on the clock. the engine has never even been rebuilt, and it still runs strong! i would just like to upgrade to a newer 22r soon so i have a little bit more power for driving with my bigger tires
Old 09-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

86 22re at 223k!
Old 09-18-2003, 12:06 AM

I have over 400k miles here!

The engine, head, timing chain, waterpump, alternator and starter are 100% original. The radiator was original too until I replaced it with a new one when it began leaking shortly after I bought it.

The only thing I ever did besides the performance bolt-ons is rebuilding the stock carb with a DIY carb rebuild kit and replacing the intake and valve-cover gaskets when I adjusted the valves.

The motor runs smooth and crisp and pulls up to 5000+rpms easily. It also passes CA smog with ease. I've always used Toyota oil filters as did the original owner (my uncle) who sold it to me about two years ago. It does burn some oil. However, as long as I watch the oil level and fill when neccessary, I might be able to get over half a million miles out of the her.

I'm rather curious to see if the newer high-tech engines (compared to the R-series that is) in the '95+ Tacoma's are going to be as long-lasting and reliable as the engines (20r/22r) Toyota built their reputation on.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:07 AM

'85 4x4 pick up, burnt exhast valve at 175k, complete rebuild at 298k currently 307k. It's my farm truck so often running loaded, original carb and tranny/transfer case
Old 09-18-2003, 06:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikedog
[B]I have over 400k miles here!

The engine, head, timing chain, waterpump, alternator and starter are 100% original. The radiator was original too until I replaced it with a new one when it began leaking shortly after I bought it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you have over 400K on your's?? That's awesome!! You're telling me you have never even replaced the water pump?? Man I find that hard to believe. What year is your rig? Is it carb or EFI? Geez, at 145K I guess mine isn't even broken in yet!! Thanks for all the replies to this thread, you guys have a great site here!

'94 Extra Cab 4X4 22R-E
'00 Solara SLE V6
Old 09-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a guy in the logging business that has an '86 4x4 with over 600k miles on the original motor and tranny (neither rebuilt) He bought the truck brand new and it has been in the woods everyday since new. I say over 600k b/c that's where the odometer quit working a while back.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Old 09-22-2003, 12:52 AM

Toyo22R-E,

Yep, neither I nor my uncle (original owner) has ever replaced the waterpump, starter and alternator on the engine. In fact to freak you out even more, both the upper and lower radiator hoses were original too when I bought it from him. It even had the original 195* Toyota thermostat in it. LOL!

I replaced the upper radiator hose when I changed to a 160* stat (the factory hose "bonded" to the metal pipe near the thermostat opening on the intake) and had to get a lower hose when I accidentally cut it when I was adjusting my fan belt. However, the hose that goes from the radiator to the pipe that snakes around the alternator on the very bottom is still the original one. I think I'm going to replace that one soon just to be safe.

My truck is an '88 22R carb single-cab shortbed. I have no air-cond, no power steering and no air-pump (CA emissions). Weird thing is CA emission equipped 22r's didn't have an air pump/smog pump from the factory back in '88. I'm not sure about other states. I do know that the 22R-E did have the smog pump for emissions compliance in the '88MY. I don't know why the 22r (in '88) didn't "require" an air-pump but the 22r-e did. Unfortunately, I do have the oxygen sensor though.

Nice thing about the engine now is that with the Flexalite 165 electric fan and the Thorley header, I can change the sparkplugs and fan belt in less than 5-minutes tops for both. Almost too easy to work on if you ask me. LOL!

Oh BTW, I still have the factory original "red" Toyota shocks at all four corners on it.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:05 PM

Mikedog,

Thank you for your reply. That's just insane; over 400K on the original engine (let alone the water pump)! I work on these things for a living and the highest I've ever personally seen is 350K. I know it's never been apart because I asked the cust about it. I bought my rig ('94 Extended Cab 4X4 22R-E) about a year and a half ago. It had 124K on it. I pulled it apart and put a timing chain and all associated components on it shortly thereafter. I wanted to be able to get in it and just go anywhere if I want. So far this year I've had it everywhere from Canada to Louisiana (I live in Ohio). I love it, it just goes and goes. It's now at almost 146K. Looks like I'm going to have to go some more to catch up with you!! LOL Someone on here (I can't remember who) summed it up perfectly. "I love my truck like a fat kid loves cake" LOL I love that!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:06 PM

Toyo22R-E,

You know something, I never thought having that kind of mileage was really high in a 20r/22r truck. I guess I remember those "Oh What a Feeling" Toyota ads back in the '80's that had actual owners with their rigs describing INSANE kind of mileage. Mileage like 750K+ or 950K+ stuff like that. LOL!

Most Toyota truck owners seem to be just as dependable and loyal to their rigs as their rigs are to them. However, the jury's still out for me on the newer '95+ Tacomas. I haven't seen one of those with the kind of mileage that our trucks routinely are capable of with them. I wonder if anyone has a 300K+ mile '95+ Taco yet?

BTW, since you work on these trucks for a living, what kind of oil do you see being put in these 300K+ R-series motors? 10w-40? 20w-50?

I can't put anything less than 20w-50 in mine or it will smoke. I use about a quart almost every 3-weeks if I drive it hard daily. Is that typical for a 400K motor? Just wondering.

I'd rebuild it right now, but it still runs so darn good. I hate to mess with it until I really need to. I've had more than my share of "don't fix it unless it's broke" experiences this year already. LOL!

Quick Reply: 22R (E) Engine...How Many Miles??