Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 4 Runner Cladding & Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 4 Runner Cladding & Paint

Hey everyone,

My first 2003 4 Runner I picked up in January. That night after getting the truck home, I checked it over with a flashlight. Wam, Bam, I found some major paint flaws. At night with a flashlight on the truck, the hood and roof appeared to have white blotches all over it. Keep in mind the stealer delivered the truck to me outside at 10 degrees F.

The next day I brought the truck back to the stealer in hopes of getting a new one. I almost had to threaten legal action when they called 3 days later saying they would take the truck back.

The problem: Moisture under the clear coat per a regional TSB according to the dealer.

A month passed and my second new truck had a few spots on the roof. Same exact problem. Seems that a batch came over from Japan with this issue. It seems to be isolated to New England. They found a good portion on dealers lots

The Cure: Denatured alcohol and a heatgun. I watched them do this to my truck. The moisture comes right out. Supposedly it will come out over time baking in the hot sun.

Anyone else had this issue? Any comments on the denatured alcohol trick that Toyota has suggested?I would encourage everyone to check their trucks. Wait until late at night and take a flashlight and hold it over the hood and roof. This is when the white areas show up.

I also contacted Toyota corporate about the midyear switch on the body cladding. Little Pd off and worried now about getting parts several years down the line since cladding was only in production for 8 months or so. I'd encourage everyone to complain. Toyota told me the more complaints the more likely they may do something. What about them offering us some type of apperance upgrade for a reasonable charge? Changing out the panels really isn't all that hard! Hell, I'd be willing to spend $500 or so to change out the cladding for solid body color. Anyone else agree?
Old 06-10-2003, 06:19 PM

I had the same splotch on the roof of my titanium 03' Runner. My neighbor had a couple of them on her hood. She took her's to the dealer and they fixed the problem. I left mine alone and it has gone away. Also, I agree with you about the cladding. I'm worried that if I get into an accident 10 years from now the stuff won't be around..
Old 06-10-2003, 07:01 PM

I like the typerware cladding although out of experience it is very soft ans scratches very easily...

I guess if somebody gets into an accident in 10 years and the cladding is not around they can then "upgrade" to the color keyed stuff, where is the problem??
Old 06-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

National Toyota

Do you have any idea how old some of my wife's Tupperware bowls are? Over a decade! I emailed Toyota and complained about the cladding and me not being offered the AP packge when I bought my truck, a week ago! No listing on Toyota literature, KBB, Edmunds, CR, etc. Their reply is that the AP has been out since January and that the dealers do not have a 'dealer' version of the AP yet. The AP is installed at the factory only. I crawled under to look at the cladding, I could replace the stuff myself with the AP panels! Toyota's final sentence read something like this.....'your letter has been duly noted at Toyota headquarters under reference code one bazillion, have a nice day.' Sucker!

BTW: I offered to split the cost with them through my selling dealer.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Cool

Actually, I am starting to like the gray cladding.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:57 PM

I would have preferred to have the solid body color as well, but the more I think about it I am glad mine has grey cladding due to the fact that my wife drives it and tends to park close to idiots who swing their doors into our vehicles as well as roll their shopping carts into them.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i agree there's alot of idiots who don't respect other peoples automobiles....
Old 06-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

I like my plastic!
I don't feel as bad when there are scratches on my flares. I'd feel terrible if they were color-keyed (I don't much like those anyway)