Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Theft protection: Steering or Brake lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft protection: Steering or Brake lock?

So, what's better, a club for the steering wheel or one that goes over the break peddle?
Old 06-09-2003, 01:44 PM

Gadget should have some ideas on that one From what I heard the club is good
Old 06-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

The brake one wont fit on Tacomas and 4Runners.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
The brake one wont fit on Tacomas and 4Runners.
If you're talking about the AutoLock, yes it will. I use one.

My motto is: "If you don't want it stolen, don't drive it." followed by "If you want to slow the thief down, use everything."
I use the AutoLock, Club, Gorilla Grip, and a DEI Responder alarm. I also have an ignition kill switch and a fuel kill switch.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm, that's what Autolock told me when I called them regarding my old Tacoma. Interesting. Maybe they changed the design or something.

Sounds like no one is stealing your vehicle!

The only thing left for you is a pitbull with AIDS to protect the truck.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:20 PM

Hmmm, that's what Autolock told me when I called them regarding my old Tacoma. Interesting. Maybe they changed the design or something.

Sounds like no one is stealing your vehicle!

The only thing left for you is a pitbull with AIDS to protect the truck.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

I was thinking that with the club, they could cut the steering wheel, with the brake pedal lock, couldn't they just use the e-brake with the button depressed until they got it someplace quiet?

I saw a kill switch with a removable key, but thought someone could just splice a jumper across the switch.

I've been thinking about wiring a kill switch to one of the other buttons on the dash, like the rear defroster button, then add a switch someplace else obvious for the rear defroster, using the "best place to hide is right out in the open." What do you guys think about that idea? Unless they took a close look at the wiring, it wouldn't be an obvious kill switch.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:27 PM

You should ask Gadget what are the best methods against auto theft
Old 06-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vato Loco
You should ask Gadget what are the best methods against auto theft
Ok, here come the flames. Why should we ask Gadget about auto theft?

(I know he is retired PD/Sheriff's Dept, but is there something I am missing?)
Old 06-09-2003, 03:32 PM

Ok, here come the flames. Why should we ask Gadget about auto theft?

(I know he is retired PD/Sheriff's Dept, but is there something I am missing?)
I remember him posting before on ODW and also on Yotatech, from his experience cars that were stolen did not have the club and the cars that weren't stolen did have the club.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

My roommate's a cop and I (non-sworn admin) work for a separate dept. here in San Diego.

Anything visible will work.
Yes, a steering wheel can be cut through BUT who's going to bother when there's another car parked down the way that doesn't have it?

When it comes down to it - if a thief is determined enough he'll take your car no matter what sort of doohickeys you have on it.

The whole point is to just make your car less appealing than the one next to it.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude

Yes, a steering wheel can be cut through BUT who's going to bother when there's another car parked down the way that doesn't have it?
But is it a Toyota truck/SUV?
Old 06-09-2003, 04:51 PM

Has anyone used the Ravelco? It has a good history.

www.ravelco.net
Old 06-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kronicx
Has anyone used the Ravelco? It has a good history.

www.ravelco.net
thats a helluva claim
Old 06-09-2003, 04:59 PM

The best protection.... is the hidden protection. It's similar to the kill switch mentioned.... but there is no visible microchip lock or any of that stuff. All the wires are left unmarked under the dash, and you run a magnetic reed switch hidden anywhere in your car. Could be inside the fabric of your seat, underneath the vinyl somewhere, or maybe behind a dash panel. You must hold a magnet over the switch to close the circuit, then you can turn the key. No one will ever know but you. Easy to build(all the parts are under $15 and at Radioshack). If you run the switch inline with the starter wire somewhere other than at the ignition, no thief will ever be able to start your car. PERIOD.

If you want instructions....

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/IgnitionKillSwitch.html
Old 06-09-2003, 05:00 PM

If someone will really want to steal your car, all the clubs and alarms can be easily bypassed, believe me.

If anyone seen "Repo Man" show on TLC several weeks ago, they showed a little device which can cut any clubs in less than a minute. I was pretty impressed with that and how easy it was!

As far as alarms, bypassing one isn't too difficult either, as long as the person knows what he or she is doing. I'm not going to go into details, but most of alarms which are on the market today can be disabled in under 5 minutes.

So, to make a long story short, the best thing to have in my opinion is good anti-theft auto insurance. After all, even if your car will get stolen, there will be enough compensation to buy a new one.

-- Andrey
Old 06-09-2003, 05:03 PM

The revelco is just like any other "visible" kill switch. Since the device has to be in view, so are all the wires. Match the right wires and you have bypassed it. A thief will be able to start any car period, if he takes the time. The trick is to make it so hard that it is a waste of his time. Hidden switches are the best since the thief will have to spend half an hour trying to find it. And chances are, if the thief can't find it in 5 minutes, he'll move on.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This Ravelco thing sounds pretty cool.

Match the right wires and you have bypassed it.
One question: wouldn't that take a long time to match all the wires? I'm definitely not an expert about this subject but that's my gut feeling.

If they claim not a single vehicle has been stolen, that's quite a claim to make.

Bob
Old 06-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Andrey
If someone will really want to steal your car, all the clubs and alarms can be easily bypassed, believe me.

If anyone seen "Repo Man" show on TLC several weeks ago, they showed a little device which can cut any clubs in less than a minute. I was pretty impressed with that and how easy it was!

As far as alarms, bypassing one isn't too difficult either, as long as the person knows what he or she is doing. I'm not going to go into details, but most of alarms which are on the market today can be disabled in under 5 minutes.
Like I said, if they really want it they'll take it.
Your normal car thief is looking for something to hit and go in a hurry - they don't want to go for something that'll take too long.

San Diego being so close to the border sees a lot of 4WD vehicles switch owners illegally and sometimes the biggest mistake people make is being lazy.
Not getting the alarm installed or leaving the Club in the backseat.

Follow your basic common sense and you shouldn't run into any problems.
Use your anti-theft devices
Don't leave your vehicle parked in the same location for too long
Keep valuables out of sight (saves you at least a broken window)
Don't forget to lock your doors and windows (some people are stupid enough to have to be reminded of this).
Park under lights or highly visible locations.
etc, etc, etc

Our toyotas (with few exceptions, of course ) are normal everyday vehicles. An exceptional thief will more likely go for an exceptional car. We need to be more worried about the normal thief.

Of course, I'll be looking into that kill switch magnet mod from OneTrickToy
Better safe than sorry
Old 06-09-2003, 08:38 PM

Unbrakeable Auto Lock

I have the Unbrakeable Auto Lock that mounts on the brake pedal "arm." I have read that this is one of the best places to put a lock since there is a federal requirement that the brake pedal arm be unbreakable, and hardened so as to prevent cutting with a hacksaw or something like that. Sure, you could still cut it with a plasma cutter or torch, but who really is going to do that? (fingers crossed) As far as the tool for breaking "The Club" and similar steering wheel locks, well they sell those. I have seen one in a law enforcement catalog retailer- www.shomer-tec.com that is located here in WA state in fact.

Quick Reply: Theft protection: Steering or Brake lock?