Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2002 VSC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 VSC Problems

So as of Yesterday every time I take a medium sharp turn at say over 30mph the VSC kicks in starts blinking, beeping and even tries to initiate the VSC breaking(mostly when entering Freeway on-ramps).

The big problem is that I'm on dry pavement and not going nearly fast enough to really initiate a slide/skid that would require the VSC if working properly to kick in(I know because I've experience VSC when working properly.)

So far I disconnected the battery for 5min to reset everything but this did not change the problem.

Any help would be very helpful as the last thing I want to do is go to the dealer?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anything on your 4Runner changed lately? Did you recently install a lift or taller tires? Check to make sure your sway bar endlinks are not broken and that the bushings are good. Since I've installed the lift on my 2002, if I go around turns that sharply cause body roll, it will sometimes kick in.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:18 PM

Nothing has changed and I just went out to see if there's any damage to the front suspension and nothing. If body roll might be an issue I'm going to make sure tire presser is good then do another test.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 AM

I am having the same problem. Mine happens only on cold mornings though, and only when I am turning and hitting the gas at the same time...really dangerous when you pull out in front of someone. My steering also feels much tighter until everything warms up. I know my sway bar bushings are shot, but I didn't think it would have anything to do with the vsc/trac system. Let me know if you figure it out. I work at a Lexus store, and they are going to work on it tomorrow. So far they have pulled the code, and it says either the ecm or the traction control ecu needs to be replaced.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The only reason I mentioned the sway bar bushings is that the VSC system takes input from yaw sensors in the vehicle. That's how it knows, for example, that the rear of the vehicle is kicking out in a skid.

Since I've put my lift on, I have sharper body roll when I take turns quickly, and the sensors are seeing that as a skid. Usually, though, I just get the "beep-beep-beep-beep..." sound of death (like when you go into a skid that's beyond the control of the VSC system and it just beeps at you...). It stops as soon as the body levels off again when I come out of the sharp turn.

I was just throwing that out there because worn out sway bar bushings might have the same effect of the system...
Old 11-20-2008, 03:45 PM

I was so encouraged when I saw this thread and then I read through it and it appears nobody has any answers yet. I have an 02 Sport and my VSC fires almost EVERY time I get off of the highway. Ramp goes right to left relatively sharply but I'm not usually taking it that fast. Front passenger side wheel brakes HARD and VSC blinks and beeps. I also get the beep often going around another curve on my way home that is down hill and to the right. No idea. I recently had an O2 sensor replaced that had caused the VSC and TRAC lights (along with check engine) but I would have assumed that these wouldn't cause VSC mis-firing. . .?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:05 PM

You guys need a Skid Control Zero Point Calibration. This must be done at the dealer, and wont take long at all, and they should only charge 1 hour labor MAX. This CANNOT be done without a Toyota scan tool. Yes, you must go to the dealer.

Rotating the tires, alignments, new tires can all upset the calibration.

Also, as bradym239 said, whenever a DTC is set, the ECU automatically turns on the VSC and TRAC lights, as a safety.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM

anyone else heard of the above mentioned fix?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

After mine tried to kill me a couple of times. (it cuts power when trying to merge if the ground is wet and a tire slips even the slightest amount) I put a button in the truck that will disable A-trac and VSC. Its not a fix, but I believe I can drive safer without it. I believe it anyway.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:04 AM

I have heard of the dealer fix for the Calibration. My dealer suggested the same thing to me and after cross referencing that information with this website as well as another Toyota dealer, I think it's the best way to go. The TRAC is too sensitive and can get you in more trouble in some situations. VSC has saved my ass numerous times though.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM

my 2002 limited starts beeping for as long as i hold the same acceleration. if im coasting and it starts, i hit the gas and its gone. if im using a steady amount of accelerator and its starts, i have to let of the gas or floor it. one time i had to drive 10 miles down the highway in "limp" mode. after about 10-30 seconds of beeping, the vsc and trac off lights come on. they stay on until i turn the car off and back on. i was able to catch it today as i was driving past the dealership. left the car running while they read my codes. c1207 and c1234. the description of one was "yaw sensor" and the other was "parking brake sensor." ive been searching the net looking for any info on these codes and so far come up with nothing. does anyone know where the yaw sensor is? i would like to make sure it does not have any loose connections or anything.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by SWPERIC
my 2002 limited starts beeping for as long as i hold the same acceleration. if im coasting and it starts, i hit the gas and its gone. if im using a steady amount of accelerator and its starts, i have to let of the gas or floor it. one time i had to drive 10 miles down the highway in "limp" mode. after about 10-30 seconds of beeping, the vsc and trac off lights come on. they stay on until i turn the car off and back on. i was able to catch it today as i was driving past the dealership. left the car running while they read my codes. c1207 and c1234. the description of one was "yaw sensor" and the other was "parking brake sensor." ive been searching the net looking for any info on these codes and so far come up with nothing. does anyone know where the yaw sensor is? i would like to make sure it does not have any loose connections or anything.
Did you ask about the "Zero Point Recalibration"?