Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2002 4Runner Suspension/Bumper options

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 4Runner Suspension/Bumper options

I summarize everything I could find on my new truck for my wife with pricing and availability after her Rav4 was in accident. What will be my best option for occasional off-road rig (medium level trails)? What tire size will fit 2.5" lift 33 or 35, no body lift planned?

Suspension:

OME:
$700

Toytec:
$980

Sanoran Steel:
$1275

Icon Front:
$1050

SAW Front:
Price unknown

Bumpers:

ARB:
Discontinued

Tacoma - $800

Shrokworks:
$979

TJM:
Discontinued

Sonoran Steel:
$1200 - Physical truck needed

Irbis Off-Road:
Rear $1200

Front $825

Armarology:
Front:
Price unknown - Physical truck needed

Rear:

4x4labs:

Anything I missed?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All I can offer is I'm very happy with my OME suspension. Haven't tried any of the others so no opinion there. I can run 255/85R16 tires, which is a narrow 33", but I never tried them without the body lift. As for bumpers I'm 80% happy with my TJM front, I had some bracket bending issues and had to reinforce them. Don't have a rear bumper yet, but I'm looking at the Irbis one.

Last edited by eric-the-red; 09-27-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:51 PM

I passed by dealership this afternoon and look at the brochure for 2002. Interesting find (for me ...). The brochure doesn't list Sport Edition. I always thought that it was Sport Edition for 2001 and 2002. My understanding was that:
- SR5 - is the basic
- Sport Edition (used to be called Highlander before Highlander came out in 2001 as a separate model between RAV4 and 4Runner) - medium level packaged
- Limited - fully loaded
Brochures (both 2001 and 2002) shows the following:
- Badlands - seems as basic for me
- SR5 Pkg "B" - seems below medium level package
- SR5 Pkg "C" - medium level package
- SR5 Pkg "D" - above medium level package
- Limited - fully loaded
One thing for sure, they are 3.4 V6 all. This is good.
About packages. Is it just Canadian market had different options or I lost myself in trim levels?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
ESQ

Nice summary. Very frequently asked questions on bumpers and suspension. Sticky?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:38 PM

My recommendation:

Practical
OME suspension (890 in rear, N86C shocks for DDing)
ARB Taco front, Demello DIY sliders
265/75/16 AT's

Offroad Performance
Icon Extended C/O, Camburg UCA
OME 891 + 10mm trim packers, N86 rear shocks
ARB Taco front, BruceTS rear, Stubbs Deluxe Sliders
255/85/16 33" tires, Regear 4.88 (auto), 4.56 (manual)

Beastly Looks
Icon Extended C/O cranked up, Camburg UCA
Land Cruiser Coils, Long Bilstein Rears, SS adjustable drag link
ARB Taco front, BruceTS rear + Rear tire carrier, Stubbs Deluxe Sliders
295/75/16 33"x12" tires, 16x8" Rims 4.0 or 4.5" BS, Regear 4.88 (auto), 4.56 (Manual)

Some notes for you: TJM is back in the North American market. That ARB prado bumper is available and will fit tacos/4runners. Armorology stuff is typically $1,500+, but great work. Rear bumper is not a necessity on the 4runners in my opinion, for mild wheeling you won't drag your hitch often enough to warrant an extra $1,500. Personally I'd wait till your stock bumper gets jacked before upgrading to the full metal bumper.

Here's the history for your 2002: http://www.top4runners.com/runhist/runhist32002.html

Last edited by CYi5; 09-28-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by CYi5
My recommendation:
OME suspension
ARB Taco front, BruceTS rear, Demello DIY sliders
Summit 9k Winch if desired
265/75/16 AT's

All of the choices have practicality in mind, and the rear bumper is on the verge of being unnecessary.
Bruce build his own rear bumper?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the custom rear bumpers for the fact that you can hang a spare on them (well, most of them). That's the only reason why I would consider it almost a necessity. If you have 33s (like me), you can't fit the spare under the truck where it's supposed to go which leaves you with 5 options:
1) Run a smaller 31" spare (sucks, but it'll get you home) -that's what I do for now, until I get my bumper,
2) Throw the 33" spare in the back and take up storage space,
3) Throw it on top and raise your center of gravity and add even more body roll to a vehicle that has enough already,
4) Screw the spare altogether (not the best choice obviously), or
5) Get a custom tire-carrier rear bumper.

I really like the look of the Irbis bumper. I heard they aren't making those anymore. Can anyone confirm that? Hope they still do.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJet
Bruce build his own rear bumper?
He was, haven't heard recently. Google BruceTS bumper and you'll find some he's made for other 4runners as well. He has plans on the internet to help out DIY fabbing as well.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM

One of those rigs is mine...

The Armorology bumper is mine. I had both the front and the rear bumpers done. I have been EXTREMELY happy with it. Jed is a true craftsman and you will not be disappointed if you went with them. Let me know if you have any questions...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 AM

Could someone confirm that 1996-2000 Prado, 1999-2004 Tacoma and 1996-2002 4Runner had the same front frame portion?
It seesm that some bumpers are interchangable with some modifications. I want to find out the scoop of those modifications required.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:45 AM

As for the models you must have different options up there as I have an 02 and it is definitely a Sport Edition SR5. Are you sure the Badlands edition isn't the same as the US Sport model, thought I read that years ago. Or perhaps one of your SR5 model grades is equipped like the Sport, as I said, in the US the Sport model is an SR5 it just also has the Sport package, but you will never see a LTD w/ the factroy Sport poackage, so all Sports are SR5's.

I ran the TJM T17 on my 2k Runner for years and loved it, looked really nice and provided good protection. As for suspension you can't go wrong with Bilstein products, I've run their shocks for years, never tried the coil overs, but OME seems to get high praise around here as well.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 AM

Could someone confirm that 1996-2000 Prado, 1999-2004 Tacoma and 1996-2002 4Runner had the same front frame portion?
It seesm that some bumpers are interchangable with some modifications. I want to find out the scoop of those modifications required.
The main differences between the prado and the tacoma bumper are the widths (if you are talking about the ARB bumpers) The prado bumper is just slightly wider to help match up with the sport or limited fender flares. The tacoma bumper is just slightly narrower to line up with the body instead of the flares. As far as modifying goes, the tacoma bar just requires cutting off the front "hangers" off the frame and the supplied brackets will slide right on. There are a couple threads on doing that and you could also box the ends off for more strength too. The prado bar just bolts up i think, but i've never seen pictures to confirm it.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jdmaccord6
The main differences between the prado and the tacoma bumper are the widths (if you are talking about the ARB bumpers) The prado bumper is just slightly wider to help match up with the sport or limited fender flares. The tacoma bumper is just slightly narrower to line up with the body instead of the flares. As far as modifying goes, the tacoma bar just requires cutting off the front "hangers" off the frame and the supplied brackets will slide right on. There are a couple threads on doing that and you could also box the ends off for more strength too. The prado bar just bolts up i think, but i've never seen pictures to confirm it.
I'm getting 02 Limited (at least ordered), in worst case if I don't find one in good condition it will be SE. Looks like Prado will be better option for me. I looked too and I can't find any information on mounting it and if needed what modifications has to be done...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
As for the models you must have different options up there as I have an 02 and it is definitely a Sport Edition SR5. Are you sure the Badlands edition isn't the same as the US Sport model, thought I read that years ago. Or perhaps one of your SR5 model grades is equipped like the Sport, as I said, in the US the Sport model is an SR5 it just also has the Sport package, but you will never see a LTD w/ the factroy Sport poackage, so all Sports are SR5's.

I ran the TJM T17 on my 2k Runner for years and loved it, looked really nice and provided good protection. As for suspension you can't go wrong with Bilstein products, I've run their shocks for years, never tried the coil overs, but OME seems to get high praise around here as well.
I checked brochure and based on what inside the vehicle Badlands is definetly Basic. That's what I thought too, one of SR5s in Canada used to be called SE in US, I think the last one "D".

I've heard that Bilsteins are designed around stock suspension and you put heavy coil they tend to fade and fail within time.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM

The Badlands is a Base SR5 with the coloured keyed grille, larger fender flares, and the scooped hood. Most come with some really cheap wheels. However as mentioned different levels of SR5 are added, so you can find a nicely equipped Badlands.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm getting 02 Limited (at least ordered), in worst case if I don't find one in good condition it will be SE. Looks like Prado will be better option for me. I looked too and I can't find any information on mounting it and if needed what modifications has to be done...
here you go then. i guess the ends of the frames do have to be cut off just like the tacoma bumper brackets. If you are going to be mounting a winch up i'd suggest having the ends boxed up, but if not they should be fine.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...d.php?p=387318
Old 10-01-2009, 04:53 AM

I've heard that Bilsteins are designed around stock suspension and you put heavy coil they tend to fade and fail within time.

Perhaps for the HD line that is true, though I am running them with the 1" lift springs from PP w/ no issues. But Bilstein also makes different levels of shocks with varying lengths of travel and valving, so I'm sure you could find a set to complement your build. But again, a complete setup from OME is not a bad solution.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:56 AM

Really happy with the Tundra/Old Man Emu setup. Works great for me and the ride is pretty nice for a lifted vehicle. I'm sure many others would agree.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/Pr...tegoryId=45809
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 PM

I have a Prado bar on my 01 Sr5 with flares. I had to cut the OEM brackets off and make the slots on the ARB mounts lower by about 3/8".
Old 10-02-2009, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by aclark092
I have a Prado bar on my 01 Sr5 with flares. I had to cut the OEM brackets off and make the slots on the ARB mounts lower by about 3/8".
This is good to know. By the chance do you have a picure(s)?

Quick Reply: 2002 4Runner Suspension/Bumper options