Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 4Runner Acceleration & Wiper Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 4Runner Acceleration & Wiper Motor Problems

2001 4Runner.
When AWD is engaged via the button on the transfer case shifter, if you're at a stop then begin to accelerate, acceleration is extremely slow, like the traction control is kicking in. No lights when this happens. If you let off, then get back on the gas it will accelerate. Typically its when turning from a stop. Wheel speed sensor issue? Any suggestions?

Also, the rear wiper motor is not functioning. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it or suggestions on what to check? I checked for voltage at the plug with the switch on, didn't get 12v anywhere. I'm thinking this could be a bad switch on the column.

Thanks for the help,
Nick
Old 09-28-2018, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Nick,
Make sure your rear window is all the way up and that the child lock button is not engaged. That said, I've replaced my wiper stalk twice in 17+ years of owning the truck due to worn-out contacts.

Andreas
Old 09-28-2018, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
If the above checks out-
For the wiper motor do a quick and easy check of the wiring between the hatch and the body. Move the rubber boot out of the way and look for broken wires, they are very common after that many years of open/closing.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:32 PM

I checked that the rear window is up and child lock is not on. Wiper still wont work. If it was contacts, I'd think that one of the two positions on the switch would work. Also, the sprayer works just fine. Anyone have a wiring diagram so I can check that the motor does in fact still work by applying 12 volts to the correct pins?

Updates to the acceleration trac issue. The trac light does flash when I'm having issues. I removed the front wheel speed sensors, cleaned them up, also checked the resistance and got about 1650 ohms for both of them. From some other posts I saw this sounds like a normal reading. I also did the zero point calibration. Neither of these solved my problem. Any suggestions on what else to check out? The traction control should not be kicking in when turning from a stop on dry pavement.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
If the above checks out-
For the wiper motor do a quick and easy check of the wiring between the hatch and the body. Move the rubber boot out of the way and look for broken wires, they are very common after that many years of open/closing.
I will check out the wiring. I noticed that the rear dome light doesn't come on when the tailgate is open. Maybe all of this is related. I didn't look for the pressure switch though on the rear tailgate, maybe it's on the body and isn't affected by the wiring between the body and the tailgate.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickdigg
Also, the sprayer works just fine. Anyone have a wiring diagram so I can check that the motor does in fact still work by applying 12 volts to the correct pins?
I will check out the wiring. I noticed that the rear dome light doesn't come on when the tailgate is open. Maybe all of this is related. I didn't look for the pressure switch though on the rear tailgate, maybe it's on the body and isn't affected by the wiring between the body and the tailgate.
Sprayer = nothing to do with rear wiring, both washer pumps are up front at the right corner in front of the wheel. Highly recommend starting with checking the wiring between the hatch and body. Much easier to get to than the connector which is under the panel where the cargo light is. I do not have the schematic on hand.
The cargo light is activated via switch within the hatch latch. I have pics of it in my build thread (see sig, post 2 has link) if you want to see what it looks like. It could also be affected by a broken wire under the boot you'll be checking. Or a simple burned out bulb.

Last edited by habanero; 09-30-2018 at 06:29 PM.