Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 Toyota 4Runner driver side rear door lock actuator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Toyota 4Runner driver side rear door lock actuator replacement

I'm attempting to replace the driver side rear door lock actuator but I'm not sure how to get the unit fully removed. I have a white plastic piece that I'm not sure how to remove. I've searched and found multiple videos that show the general replacement process but none of the videos I found show the plastic piece.

I've attached a photo of the piece.

It's held in place by the black clips which appear to be permanently attached. I can feel the back side and they do not feel like they come out. I could cut the back of the black connectors and then maybe replace them with regular bolts and screws. Obviously, I do not want to break the white plastic piece.

Hoping someone that has seen the white plastic piece might offer some advice.

For reference, here are links to the videos that show how to remove the actuator:

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Toyota 4Runner driver side rear door lock actuator replacement-2000-toyota-4runner-rear-driver-door-01.jpg  
Old 05-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I was unable to get it out without breaking the aged keepers, mine were so brittle breaking the white guard wasn't an issue, then I zip-tied it back on when I was done.
Name:  finaldoorlockmodulerepair035_zps3fbc6f9f.jpg
Views: 4001
Size:  44.4 KB

And lots of pics of the repair on a '96 starting post 1467
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...1/index74.html
Not the exact same, but may help you some. I did choose to repair my actuator for $5 rather than replace it, but the rest should be similar.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Thank you Habanero. Using zip ties ending up working for me too. You did a great job of documenting the whole repair in your previous post.

For the next one that breaks, I'll definitely buy the motor. Especially now that I've seen it all first hand. I cracked open my broken actuator just to see.

Just for anyone in the future that sees this post I thought I'd share the other challenges. I was actually not able able to separate the door handle from the actuator but I was able to get both pieces out of the door to work on them. Just consider a real world game of Tetris in trying to get the pieces out.

I also made the mistake of removing the remaining screw on the door catch which released the springs inside so I spent a 1/2 day trying to figure out how to reassemble the door catch correctly.

My recommendation, read Habanero's original post twice before you do anything and then as your doing the repair, check each step before you do it. I failed to read the whole thing once he answered my question about the white bracket and his post would have saved me a 1/2 day of grief.

After I got the rear door together, I also took on the project of re-keying the front door because my key no longer worked. I'll add a separate post about that.