Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 4runner chirps like a bird.. (noise,help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JHupp
for mine, I also had chirping, whenever I had my oil changed, I asked for a belt change(suprisingly) the mechanic told me my belts were in perfect shape even after have 30k miles on them. He put belt dressing(ask for ranch, hahaha), and it now sounds fine. I am not familiar with belt dressing, btu I'm guessing it was some sort of lube. Hope this helps!
Belt dressing is more like a tacky adhesive than a lubricant.
You want the belts to stop slipping not slip more.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh, I see, thats makes sense. Like I said, stopped my chirping.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:00 PM

Well this thread worked for me.

Grabbed the grease gun ($20) loaded some grease ($4) and found all 8 zerks in no time. Have not heard the "chirping" since. SO relieved.

$78 for a lube job, and the uncertainty they know and hit all the zerks? No way.

I would like to know more about the belt dressing being mentioned. The only other noise the 4R makes is a light squeak/squeel at idle. No wear on the belt. I will search the parts stores, is there a specific brand some of you prefer?
Old 01-18-2006, 02:59 PM

After the $78 dollar qoute, I went to Kragen and bought the mini-grease gun $15, the Multi-Lithum grease $4 and the flex hose $5 and a six pack of my Favorite import $7.50 hahahah Fixing the 4Runner priceless...LOL
. First time I've been under the 4 Runner. I grease up the first 3 for the front 4x4 drive shaft then did the rear drive shaft 4 back there. I couldn't find any others. Still making the darn noise Totall PITA! KCEBES- your tread was describing down to the letter what I have. Is there any Zerks on the front end? Do you remember how zerks you did on yours?
Old 01-18-2006, 03:22 PM

Note: there are 5 Zerks in the rear not 4. Still making the @#@$#!!'ing noise. refuse to go to stealer. Any other advise beside trading up to a 2000 Edition would be Very Apperciated.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 AM

Just curious if you ever got this problem figured out. My 02 Tacoma is doing the same thing and I also greased all the zerk's.

Of course the dealer cant hear anything when I take it there
Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=BabeGTR]Well this thread worked for me.

Grabbed the grease gun ($20) loaded some grease ($4) and found all 8 zerks in no time. Have not heard the "chirping" since. SO relieved.

$78 for a lube job, and the uncertainty they know and hit all the zerks? No way.

QUOTE]

I am glad your chirp is gone. Just wondering if you are sure you hit all the zerks. This page shows 13 fittings, although it feels more like 84.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

I believe I have the same problem on my '01. The noise doesnt start until I hit around 40mph and goes away when I brake and come to a stop. No noise while idling. Think its the same thig? Need to lube the chassis?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:59 PM

I am almost certain there is only 8 zerks.

sabre: Get under the truck and lube em'....you will be glad u did.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BabeGTR
I am almost certain there is only 8 zerks.

sabre: Get under the truck and lube em'....you will be glad u did.
I wish I saw this thread a week ago it was in the 50s all weekend. Ill have to get under there this weekend. I hope it fixes the noise. If it doesnt at least they will be lubed.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 AM

Yeah I lubed all mine and it didnt go away. I am going to try and take it into the dealer and see what they say.

Its starting to get annoying.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 AM

Are there any updates to this post? I am having this same problem with my 99 4runner 4x4 auto.

Makes a chirp/squealing sound which is loudest during deceleration especially at lower speeds. Sounds like a cage full of chirping birds attached to my drive shaft. Only happens during cold weather, we don't get much in Texas so I have limited time to diagnose. The following steps have been taken.

Put the rear end on jack stands and put it in gear. After a minute or so at 30mph it started making the noise with my foot off the gas and coasting. I crawled under and I can isolate the noise between the transfer case and the differential along the drive shaft but with the engine and tire noise it is difficult to tell if it is:

-The rear u-joint
-The double cardan u-joints attached to the transfer case companion ring
-The differential bearing that the rear u-joint attaches to (does this bearing have better name?)
-The transfer case bearing that the double cardan joint attaches to.

I started by changing the rear u-joint just in front of the differential. I bought it at autozone and I don't recommend that particular one for others. The position of the zerk between the ujoint caps will not allow the end of the grease gun hose to snap on, and now cannot be greased unless I can find a tiny grease gun fitting. It didn't make the noise for two days but this morning it got into the 30's and it is doing it again. I have lubed all the zerks over and over, changed the rear brakes, checked the differential fluid. My questions are:

-What do I change next?
-How do I change the differential bearing?
-How do I change the transfer case bearing?
-Is it true I have to change the whole drive shaft if the cardigan joint is bad?

Please help, my neighbors are complaining about the noise when I coast through the neighborhood. That's all I need are more letters from the HOA.

Ty
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by kcebes
Seriously, that is the only way I know how to describe the noise.

It only makes the noise under deceleration. If I apply throttle it goes away. When I let off it comes back. I can duplicate the problem at low speeds 25-40mph. Not sure if i can hear it at high speeds because of wind noise.

Braking makes no difference. Still squeeks, chirps or whatever.

Sitting at idle, rev the engine, let the rpms come back down...does not duplicate the problem.

The vehicle MUST be moving to hear it. Could it posssibly be a transmission/driveshaft issue?

Vehicle is a 2000 4runner ltd. 4x4 3.4L

Thanks to anyone that can help. It's driving me nuts.

I have a 2000 4Runner LTD as well doing exactly the samething.

Replaced ALL of the belts and still doing the chirping on deceleration only.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks,
Pibb
Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Did ya read the whole thread about lubing your zerk fittings on the driveshaft?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM

had same problem on my 4runner. it was the rear u joint. only "chirped" when decelerating.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like U joints, check the rear shaft.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Same Problem... new question

Ok, read through the thread and lubed all of the fittings I could find (9 total; for a '98 Taco V6 4x4)

While greasing one of the fittings in the center bearing (I believe the double cardan joint), it seems it wouldn't take any grease.

For all of the other fittings, I could add grease slowly until hearing the hiss / crackle the joint makes when it is full.

For this fitting, though, I pumped a few pumps of grease and felt no resistance, then realized all the grease was coming out of the other side.

Does this indicate a bad joint? If so, what indication will it give before failing?

Here's a couple pics to show the fitting in question and all the grease that I pumped in there:

It's the fitting in the middle; the one that's angled towards the driveline
Name:  IMAG0064.jpg
Views: 1877
Size:  61.6 KB

Here's a picture of all the grease in the center of the joint
Name:  IMAG0065.jpg
Views: 1973
Size:  75.6 KB
Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 AM

The chirping has gone away after lubing the driveline. Anyone know why this joint would leak grease and what it means for the future of the center joint / driveshaft?

Sorry for threadjacking, I just didn't want to start a new thread on this.

<--- Newb
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 AM

* Bump *
Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BajaRunner

Check out www.4runners.org and look for the driveshaft lube writeup.
Sweet link! All ready to hit those zerks! I just need the temps to climb above 40.

Quick Reply: 2000 4runner chirps like a bird.. (noise,help)