Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

10 minute mod turned into an hour and half...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 minute mod turned into an hour and a half...

the other day i bought an external cb speaker and i went to put it in yesterday. i put it below my cd player. so i took the panel off and i put the truck in gear so i could get it out. so i get it put in and i go to start the truck and it wont start. i go to take the key out and it wont come out. i look where i pulled the panel out and i look to see if i disconnected the wires that were there. then i pulled all the dash panels off. then i post a message on here for help. i go back out and i look at it again..and i figure out why...the rig isnt in park....:pat: i felt so stupid!! hehe..it took me an hour and a half to figure out the rig wasnt in park. just thought i would share with you guys.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Oh man, sometimes its way too easy to overlook the obvious! I've done stuff like that before too.
Tom
Old 11-07-2002, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Don't feel bad man, I bet ya everyone in here has done that at least once if not more than once. Lord knows I have, I did the exact same thing when I installed my Sony headunit, and I have done it at least once when I was detailing the interior. It has never taken me an hour and half to figure it out but I have done it in front of my girlfriend, and she was the one to point it out oh so gently, "um baby your stick thingy isn't in park like it should be, could that be the problem." We can just call that one big shared brain fart moment for all of us.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:24 AM

Thx for sharing your story w/us. We all have our 'look back & laugh / sigh' moments. God knows I've had my share of forehead slappers... :pat:
Old 11-07-2002, 07:28 AM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate spending ten minutes looking for my sunglasses, only to discover they are on my head.

Jay
Old 11-07-2002, 07:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I do that at least once a month.
I'll park somewhere to balance my checkbook after a few purchases, then when I'm ready to take the key out, it won't come.

I look down and see that it's in neutral.
I sometimes leave the engine on to heat the cab, and don't put it in park right away.

Sooooo, been there, done that, way to many times
Old 11-07-2002, 08:16 AM
Away

See what happens when you buy a vehicle with an automatic transmission? It causes you to lose brain cells! :eek:

The longer you own one, the worse the condition becomes...

J/K

Great story, but of course I've never done anything remotely as stupid as that.

Hehe
Dr. Z
Old 11-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

J/K
Old 11-07-2002, 10:39 AM

I had a stupid one like that 2 years ago

After doing some work under the dash I went to start the truck and it wouldn't go.
I figured I'd disconnected something near the key switch so I tooke the whole thing apart...only to didcover I'd accidently armed the alarm and it activated the started kill relay.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:40 AM

Those stupid nuetral safety switches glad i dont have one and thats for this same reason. this way i start the truck up in gear walk away and it runs into my garage wall or out into the street,
come on guys put some exitement into your lives
Old 11-07-2002, 01:10 PM
DuB

I've done stuff like that before when working on my stereo. Look for a bit for like 10 minutes only to find out I was sitting on it or something. Here's one that just happened yesterday. While it wasn't totally caused by my own stupidity, it was embarassing nonetheless.

I have a police siren in my truck that I just have for fun. I never touch it and it mostly just sits in my glovebox, but when my roommate gets in the truck, it always gets a big workout, and many times, he ends up blowing a fuse somewhere. The other night, we're coming back from dinner for my other roommate's 21st, and sure enough, my roommate busts out the PA and starts screaming through it (I had forgotten to hit the kill switch, which I have in there cause of him and people like him). Well, he's able to get out a couple words when the fuse blows, and the PA stops working. fast forward to a couple days later. Neighbors all in their front yards, working on their cars, watering the lawn/plants, neighborhood kids walking home from school. The ideal serene and peaceful neighborhood scene I get back from class and decide to work on my truck a little, too. I remember that the fuse is blown in the PA; not a hard job, so I go and pull it out only to find the fuse is fine. So I'm thinking, "That's strange, then how come when I do this it doesn't--" BLAARGH!! "OH ^*&$!!" I look around, everyone's stopped doing what they're doing, and staring at me. Even the little schoolkids. Handyman time is over. I close up the truck and go inside. :pat:

Last edited by DuB; 11-07-2002 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

goof up

I was working on the instrument cluster in my 89 Supra Turbo, and the next morning I drove to work with no dashlights, and during lunch I ripped it all apart, only to find out I had turned the dimmer switch all the way down.....
Old 11-07-2002, 05:10 PM

HAHAHA thats funny

I once went to do a simple job on the sink in the kitchen once. Didn't finish till ten hours later and only after six trips to home depot. It was living hell.