Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 Runner for '94 FJZ80 LC?

Would you sell your 2001 SC-ed 4Runner for this LC:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=18

I think the price is a little high but the truck looks sweet with really low miles. Would have to get wife approval first but this would be a great upgrade size and comfort wise for me.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Looks clean and has low miles for a '94. If it has the lockers, then go for it!
Old 06-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

It's a nice looking LC, but it's way over Blue Book (which is about $14K for excellent condition). Unless there's something really special about the rig, for $20K, you could get a newer model with similar mileage.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

I know, and he won't negotiate. I found some other's with higher mileage but with diff locks out in the VA area:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=23

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=25

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=20

Of the three, I like the first one the best since I know it has the diff locks and isn't a dealer with all the b.s. associated with them. I like the price as well since it's much lower than the others which means he's motivated to sell. I'll look him up when I get out there and can drive it.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:33 AM
lee
Contributing Member

while i do love that body style LC, i'd still stick with an sc'd 01 runner... unless you got a really great deal on an LC with 2 lockers. 4runners just seem more fun.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:34 AM
lee
Contributing Member

also, before you ditch the runner, sell me your supercharger
Old 06-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
while i do love that body style LC, i'd still stick with an sc'd 01 runner... unless you got a really great deal on an LC with 2 lockers. 4runners just seem more fun.
Very true, and as I said, this would have to get spousal approval. As for selling the SC, since I'm now out of CC debt and my commute is much shorter now, I don't really care about the price of gas now so will sell it with the truck if I do this. If I don't, I'll either do the URD or TRD 7th injector kit to stabilize the fuel delivery for the charger.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say it's quite a downgrade. Granted, a 94 LC>94 4Runner, but for that model, i'd say it's about 2-5k overpriced. Just my. 02
Old 06-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

rwmorrisonjr,

That's a very good price on the first LC (the blue one). As you know, for a Toyota, that kind of mileage isn't bad at all. I'd verify with the seller that it's been well maintained--externally, it looks to be great condition. Are you moving to Ashburn? If so, CarMax is just North of Rt. 28 and Waxpool, and they might have some. Not sure if you're just looking at just the FJ-80's or are also considering FJ-100's but they have quite a few (although only a couple are FJ-80's). There are also numerous dealerships in Tyson's corner and other areas that you could check out--I live just down the street from Springfield Toyota and have dealt with them a number of times. They tend to list their used cars high, but you can usually negotiate with them if you come prepared.

I work in Ashburn, so we'll have to get together some time--I just bought an FJ-62 that I'd like to compare to an FJ-80 (if you get one )

Matt
Old 06-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by richeyma
rwmorrisonjr,

That's a very good price on the first LC (the blue one). As you know, for a Toyota, that kind of mileage isn't bad at all. I'd verify with the seller that it's been well maintained--externally, it looks to be great condition. Are you moving to Ashburn? If so, CarMax is just North of Rt. 28 and Waxpool, and they might have some. Not sure if you're just looking at just the FJ-80's or are also considering FJ-100's but they have quite a few (although only a couple are FJ-80's). There are also numerous dealerships in Tyson's corner and other areas that you could check out--I live just down the street from Springfield Toyota and have dealt with them a number of times. They tend to list their used cars high, but you can usually negotiate with them if you come prepared.

I work in Ashburn, so we'll have to get together some time--I just bought an FJ-62 that I'd like to compare to an FJ-80 (if you get one )

Matt
Sounds good, thanks for the info. How's Ourisman Chantilly Toyota? I saw their new facility when I was out there about two weeks ago and I was impressed. Just had the 50k done at Leesburg Toyota and wasn't impressed by the dealer or service dept; somewhat expensive and had to explain to them what the 50k service was since they do it every 7500 miles.

Let's try to hook up after we get moved out there, I live on Russell Branch just east of Ashburn Village Blvd.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe 96-97 had a better transmission. (Maybe 95 too?) The drivers seat generally is where you see alot of wear and this is not only on the higher mileage ones. Start combing IH8MUD.com for some things to look out for and also Sleeoffroad.com for a newbie guide to 80's. FWIW, if you are considering the 100 series - it only has an option for a rear locker, not front.

I've been researching these since I need to dump my JGC and get a bigger rig for the Mrs. so I can get my mits on the 4Runner, full time. The one for $11,500 has got to have some cosmetic issues, it seems too cheap. The one for $16K seem like a good one if you can get it down to $14,500 or so.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:35 AM

The 95-97 has a better transmission, along with dual air bags. You might try looking for a same vintage LX450....
Old 06-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
I believe 96-97 had a better transmission. (Maybe 95 too?) The drivers seat generally is where you see alot of wear and this is not only on the higher mileage ones. Start combing IH8MUD.com for some things to look out for and also Sleeoffroad.com for a newbie guide to 80's. FWIW, if you are considering the 100 series - it only has an option for a rear locker, not front.

I've been researching these since I need to dump my JGC and get a bigger rig for the Mrs. so I can get my mits on the 4Runner, full time. The one for $11,500 has got to have some cosmetic issues, it seems too cheap. The one for $16K seem like a good one if you can get it down to $14,500 or so.
The one for $11,500 is a motivated seller, he's also the second owner, bought it at CarMax in 11/2002, just want's to dump the truck. As for the other two, I might go look at them once I get back out to VA at the end of the month.

I also drove a FJ100 last month at CarMax that had about 50k on it and was going for $31k. I would have done it but I didn't feel like swallowing a $650/month payment and getting divorced before I was married! :pat: But it was a nice truck, much roomier than my 4Runner and lots of power. Might start looking at those again too once the prices start coming down as the model year's end and the leases come back in.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't had any service done at Leesburg or Chantilly, but the Chantilly facility is fairly new and is very impressive looking. There's also Koons Tysons Toyota off of Rt. 7. I bought my 4Runner from them (it was Kline Tysons Toyota back in '91). For my one month free checkup, I got the luxury of a phone call just prior to picking it up. They had backed the thing into a wall with so much force that the rear tire carrier pushed into the tailgate. After two weeks and $800 in repairs, I got my "new" rig back.

I wouldn't have taken it back there again, but I had purchased a service plan with them and got free oil changes for life. After getting my money's worth from the oil changes, I quit going there because it was one head ache after another ranging from the vehicle not being ready when stated, work requested not being done, work done that wasn't requested, etc. They've since changed ownership, so I don't know if the service department has improved.

Whatever you decide on getting, I'd love to check it out. I personally like the more rugged look of the 80's over the 100's. I actually was close to getting a white 1994 that was for sale in Richmond. I drove down there to check it out, but some guy bought it just a couple hours before I showed up. I ended up getting a 62 instead.

Good luck!
Matt