86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heim joint upgrade.

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Here is what I am working with, it has a 22re, automatic trans & 4.30 gears. The plan is to build it into an off-road warrior that can also be used for light on road duties. It is going to be a long, slow & tight budget build up. I will continue to update the first post as I make progress.

This is what it looked like when I brought it home not running.

I got it running, but it had some pretty bad timing chain slap & several oil leaks so first order of buisness was to get it running perfect. I decided that it would be easier to just pull the motor & work on it on the engine stand.

Long story short this turned in to alot of work. Not a full on rebuild, but a new headgasket, lapped the valves, new timng chain set & a good cleaning.

Back in goes the motor

My favorite mod to date

Runs really well now,

I eliminated the crappy LSPV & installed a universal Jegs regulator. Replaced the rear wheel cylinders & took it wheeling

I installed a cheapo Sun-Pro mini tach that I've had laying arond for years

Made an aluminium plate to mount my Cobra 25LTD CB & hold my Summit brand mechanical oil pressure & water temp gauges.

CB antenna mount needs a little more work also, Version 1.0 is just not strong enough. Trust me when I say that version 2.0 will be plenty strong

I scored a really sweet deal on a set of seats out of a 91 model 4runner. The drivers seat is a little rough looking but nothing a set of covers won't fix. Got them installed with a few modifications. These seats are leaps & bounds better than the ones that where in it.

I removed the 3rd member & installed a Spartan lunch box locker.

I measured out & machined a set of ball joint spacers for a little lift. They are 1-7/8" tall.

Needed wheel spacers after the BJ spacers

Replaced both front CV Joints, Front brake pads & rotors, rebuilt the calipers, cleaned up & greased the hubs.

A buddy gave me a gallon of green urethane paint. With Keith & Andy's help I put an 8 hour paint job on.

Then I picked up 5 used 33-10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains in excellent condition. They are the original KM's.

Made a sweet trade for some factory aluminum wheels.

Sky Off-Road diff armor.

New Billies for the rear

Added some cheapo rock lights to the front, Also replaced both head lights.

Hot shot starter mod. Cured my intermittent starting problem

Then I smashed it up on a tree at Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch.........twice. Looks like I am going to get some practice at body work

Ordered some 3/4" cryo treated Heims from rough stuff, machined some adjusters & replaced my tie rod ends.

Picked up a set of Downey torsion bars from a fellow YT member, I have them relaxed as much as possible for now but still ended up with about a 1/2" of lift.

scored a dual diaphram brake booster & 1" bore master cylinder out of a 97 V-6 Tacoma. $100 percent bolt on swap!

Beefied up my weal idler arm with bronze bushings and a Downey brace

Made some progress on repairing the body damage

New steering wheel, 13" GT Grant

Some cheap seat covers from Cabelas front and rear.
http://www.cabelas.com/auto-seat-cov...:referralID=NA

Completely rewired the back window using the factory switch and a couple of relays, put the switch in a knock out on the dash.

Removed the cruise control box (who needs that anyways) and made a bracket to mount my Blue Sea accessory fuse block.
http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

Scored a deal on a set of Doetsch Tech Prerunner 8000 shocks from the former owner of Downey. They are extended lenght (15-1/2" long fully extended) to work with the BJ spacers.
http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/2.asp

Fabbed a new CB antenna mount, much stronger than the last one I made.

Cut out the sheet metal and welded it in place

Picked up the last new set of Downey 2" leaf springs on the planet.

Front Range Off-Road U-bolt flip kit.

Fabbed an upper mount to relocate my shocks

Welded tabs to the axle housing for the lower mounts

Springs and U-bolt flip installed

All painted and wrapped up.

That pretty much gets this up to current with the build, much more to come though.

hows it going yotaman. So im fairly new to the forum and building yotas. Im looking to do the heim joint upgrade on my 88 IFS pickup. I see you bought the heim joints from rough stuff. You also fabricated your own adjusters, but can I just buy some adjusters like MegaMan did on his build? Also what length tubing did you use for the ends, and did the drag link remain stock? Sorry for all the questions im just really interested in those heim joints, must have haha.