- Replace sagging trans mount Done
- Repair and reinstall exhaust Done
- take it to the exhaust shop
- Install rear axle shims Done
- Install new fuel sending unit
- Replace shifter linkage that I mangled while installing BL
- Replace rear 3rd and front diff with the 5.29's
- Fix drivers side manual hub
- Throw (fab) together a quick and dirty rear bumper, just something to get me by
- Weld on my rock sliders
- Weld on my front frame brace
- Raise front bumper mounts.
- Install cup holders Added
-
Updated the check list

Just got an email confirmation that the coolest and most expensive cup holders on the planet have shipped, lol
Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hhahahahaa, ..... "They told Rob, days ago, 'INVEST IN GOLD, IT'S GOING UP, UP, UP!'... To which he replied, "Nahhhhh, I'm going with Practical Trail Rig Cup Holders!" hahahah.

Right on, can't wait to see them IN your rig!

PS> Sending you a PM!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
List actually getting shorter
Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hhahahahaa, ..... "They told Rob, days ago, 'INVEST IN GOLD, IT'S GOING UP, UP, UP!'... To which he replied, "Nahhhhh, I'm going with Practical Trail Rig Cup Holders!" hahahah.

Right on, can't wait to see them IN your rig!

PS> Sending you a PM!
lol, very true. Besides gold won't keep your drink from spilling on the trail!

Originally Posted by nvtoyota
List actually getting shorter
Little bit shorter anyways

I need to catch up on posting some pics. These are from Friday, the new mount vs. the old one. You can tell how bad the rubber is sagging on the old one. Installing this raised the case 3/8".

Old mount was completely torn on one side.

welded up the crack in my exhaust for me and I got it reinstalled with new gaskets ect. It's ready to head to the exhaust shop once I get it driveable again.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 04-03-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Not much to see here but the new 5.29 diffs are in! Of course I hit them heavy with some flat black Rustoleum.

******JUST FOR YOU MARK!!*******
since they where already out I scrapped most of the junk off of the drive shafts and took them both to the car wash for a good degreasing. Painted them up and greased the hell out of them.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 04-03-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
- Install new fuel sending unit Waiting on UPS
- Replace shifter linkage that I mangled while installing BL Waiting on UPS
- Replace rear 3rd and front diff with the 5.29's Done
- Throw (fab) together a quick and dirty rear bumper, just something to get me by
Updated.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 AM

DAGGUM UPS! whyyyyyyyyyyy, UPS, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? lol. Nah, dang man, ....coming along nicely! WOOT!

This truck is gonna shock ppl, isn't it? loll.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Did you see the pic I posted for you Mark? last post, back one page.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
- Install new fuel sending unit Waiting on UPS
- Replace shifter linkage that I mangled while installing BL Waiting on UPS
- Replace rear 3rd and front diff with the 5.29's Done
- Paint driveshaft pink.
Updated.
Re-updated.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Re-updated.
LMAO. too late for pink bud!

Did it just so you and Mark would get off my case , lol

Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
You are getting it done quick. Looks like you are almost down to a bumper and welding for the most part. Other than the linkage I would say you are on the down hill side. That painting really gives a cleaner look.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Hahahaha... I was just kiddin, Rob, but yeah, DANG that's better! ...... Pink would definitely be interesting, Brandon! lol. If only I were closer, I could hop under there while he was at lunch and paint it PINK really quick, lol.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You are getting it done quick. Looks like you are almost down to a bumper and welding for the most part. Other than the linkage I would say you are on the down hill side. That painting really gives a cleaner look.
Ppssff. Today was not as good.......got a grand total of NOTHING done! I'm pretty frustrated. Life was too busy, wife didn't feel well so I had the kids all day. Yes, I have a lot of welding to do. My (dads) welder is currently at my dads house, I've had it in my garage for the last 6 months but he needed it for a couple weeks to work on his project. He's doing a frame off job on an old Datsun 280z, it getting an LS1 ect. Sweet project he is doing, my old man has done several awesome builds, but what would you know that he needed the welder back at the same time I needed it. I'm sure if I told him that I needed it real bad that he would let me, I just don't want to impose yah know? As soon as my trans linkage bracket gets here (hopefully Monday but maybe Tuesday @ worst) then I will be able to drive the truck up to work and do my welding there. Lots to do, time is ticking. Wish me luck guys.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Best wishes, bud! Kick some arseky! Lol.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 PM

With all the paint and new pars under that truck it looks better than it did new good job can't wait to hear how it dose with the new gears and how you like the extra clearance
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Seems like it does always boil down to the last minute. With life,wife, kids and then the weather. Probably most of us are lucky to get anything done.

Dads do help out. Wasnt for his tools and shop, things would really slow down. I always admired guys like your dad. Had 2 friends dads could whip up a project in no time and do a great job without butchering it.

LS1 in a 280Z, your dad should be able to get to town quick. Maybe you could post a pic some time. I like seeing projects of any kind. Thats why I stay with these projects. I have to be able to use them. I miss the V8 days.

You still got some time, but here is wishing you luck.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Best wishes, bud! Kick some arseky! Lol.
Thanks

Originally Posted by nvtoyota
With all the paint and new pars under that truck it looks better than it did new good job can't wait to hear how it dose with the new gears and how you like the extra clearance
It does look pretty good under there IMO. It's nothing fancy the way I painted everything, Very little prep work done and rattle cans in heavy coats just to keep the rust away. I'm sure I will have to touch it up every so often. I want to drive it so badly with the new gears! If only I would have followed the instructions when I did the BL then I would have driven it already. Just waiting on the replacment shifter linkage bracket I bought. It did cross my mind to block up the wheels and get under the truck and manually put it in drive just so I could drive it, but I decided I would be better off just waiting. Maybe it will be here today? Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Seems like it does always boil down to the last minute. With life,wife, kids and then the weather. Probably most of us are lucky to get anything done.

Dads do help out. Wasnt for his tools and shop, things would really slow down. I always admired guys like your dad. Had 2 friends dads could whip up a project in no time and do a great job without butchering it.

LS1 in a 280Z, your dad should be able to get to town quick. Maybe you could post a pic some time. I like seeing projects of any kind. Thats why I stay with these projects. I have to be able to use them. I miss the V8 days.

You still got some time, but here is wishing you luck.
Thanks for checking in Terry, the encouragement from you guys helps. I know I still have some time but I am afraid that with all of the other things going on I might not get much done. I generally do pretty well in the evenings once the kids go to bed. The list doesn't look too bad and even if I have a few things undone it will be fine.

Yes dad is a huge help. He is the one who got my started turning wrenches in the first place. He has the tools and advise that get me though my projects. He is always willing to lend a hand.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 AM

I know like the rest of us you want to get it done but with all the work youve got done maybe a day off isnt a bad thing rob. glad to hear your dad helps ya out my dad is a mechanical genious but thinks modifying a vehichle in any way is a waist of time still love him tho

Last edited by jason in tn; 04-04-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 AM

Fuel level sending unit and more importantly the shifter linkage bracket both showed up on UPS this morning. Both parts obviously look used but that's OK. The fuel sending unit is going to need some work. I'm not very happy about it. I asked for a 3 wire an it has the 3 wire connector spliced onto a 2 wire sending unit? I pulled off the electrical tape and the wires are just twisted together, no connector or soldiering? The 3rd wire is not connected to anything! The 3rd wire is for the low fuel light. As hard as these are to come by I guess I will just solider ans shrink wrap the 2 wires together and install it so the gauge will work, I can live with the low fuel light not working but it still ticks me off a little. O'well right? At least I can hook up all of the shifter linkage and be driving this thing again soon.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 04-04-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I can understand not getting what you want. At least it will work for now.

You already know that you are going to have to pull the tank to get the sending unit in. Just wanted to let you know ahead of time the 2 tanks I have seen have a lot of rust build up on the sides and especially on the bottom.

I would try to keep vibrations to a minimum when pulling or handling the tank. My new/used tank had around a 1/4 inch of rust in places and I got alot out. Dont want you plugging the sock on your fuel pump. Maybe your is good and clean.

If that is not the case, I can find a website that has a good way of cleaning the tank. I then followed it up with Red-Kote that I got at Oriellys.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread