86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same seat cover, i have the same problem with it being too loose, but its durable and is saving my seats
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
2 questions...
how are you liking the AAL?
and why isnt there a build thread for your taco? it sounds pretty sweet!
The AAL is a little stiff, I would like to one day get some replacement springs but the AAL works fine for now.

Thanks, I will prob put a build thread together for the Tacoma one of these days. I bought it new and this month I will send off the final payment. It has quite a few subtle mods that I did to improve it's practicality. It is my mall crawler daily driver and I love it very much.

Originally Posted by LGcrawler
i have the same seat cover, i have the same problem with it being too loose, but its durable and is saving my seats
Yep, except my seat cover is covering up uglyness and hopefully keeping it looking decent.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 01-03-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on making the final payment Rob! I know you were looking forward to paying it off, now switch the insurance to just liability and save some more $$!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks Brian, but it is just a little premature.....Final payment will be due LATER this month, lol. Not a chance I will drop it down to liability insurance, it is still worth too much money to take any chances. I get a pretty good insurance rate through State Farm so I will keep my full coverage
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Thanks Brian, but it is just a little premature.....Final payment will be due LATER this month, lol. Not a chance I will drop it down to liability insurance, it is still worth too much money to take any chances. I get a pretty good insurance rate through State Farm so I will keep my full coverage
Prob a good idea...I've seen you drive lol
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Sorry Mark, I did get the diff drop from my bud this evening, but it looks like my plans to have it installed have been foiled, no way I will have answers for you tomorrow morning. Only good news is that I am pretty sure now that it I have put my eyes on it that it will work. The kit is a freebie from a friend, it is a Toyotec kit for a Tacoma, worst case I will need some different bolts but I think it is right. Give me another 24 hours (call it Tuesday morning) and I will get before and after pics up....promise this time, I just got tied up doing other things today and didn't get to it....as much as I wanted to. Later bud.
Oh man, ...please don't apologize, Rob! lol. Now I feel like a "GIMME GIMME GIMME" guy that I've seen on many sites, lol. I'm just as happy for you having it coming together as I am anxious to see how you like it.

I'm also VERY stoked for you to have that Taco payed off! NICE! Hope nothing happens to it that you would need that full cov.,....but GOOD TO HAVE IT! I agree

I'm still messing around and chewing my lip on whether I should spend 300$ on 2 shocks and a stabilizer from OME(rocky road is the only one I've found that lists THE shocks I need for the 2" lift....and I guess that's how much they are, eh? lol). HOWEVER, ...the BJ spacer kit and Deluxe Diff Drop kit is in the mail, from Roger at 4crawler. He lists lots of shocks on his site, but he hasn't tried the OME's or one other(can't member, geeez, lol). .........Sorry, I'll just update my own thread when it's time, lol.

Hope you have a GREAT New Year, Rob, ..stay safe,

Mark
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Hey, is no problem Mark. I got it installed. Pics and opinions coming up tomorrow.

I found my original center console in a box of parts that came with the truck and was happy to find that the power window switch was still in it. Also had a window lock button? My front windows are manual so it must be for the rear. Bad news is that the wiring that the switches plug into is nowhere to be found. There was no tailgate on the truck when I got it so there is no telling. I have the new tailgate's wiring plugged in to the body harness, but the body wiring has a couple of quick splices and one wire that is broken but I cannot find the other end. I'm sure this is going to be fun to figure out. I really want to get that window working, I'm considering re-wiring the whole thing with the factory switch, and bypass all of the safety crap with the tail gate.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 01-04-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just make sure it's "ign" switch on operational only, k? lol.... Seriously... my buddy bypassed and had constant hot to the back window and, ....well, .....a quick tool through the window from a crook and they pushed his button and got in.... BUT, ...they caught him doing it, ...the guy was in the back when he walked up, hahaha.

Hey, Rob, .....I NEED YOU TO FORCE ME TO JUST BUY SOME SHOCKS ALREADY, OK? HAHAHA. Take care, man,

Mark
Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 AM

Here you go Mark, I started a new thread on the results of my diff drop experiment so we can see what the masses have to say about it. I hope we get some good responses and it helps you make up your mind.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51627448

O-yeah......BUY SOME SHOCKS ALREADY!!!!! Do it now! lol
Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 AM

I got started trying to fix my rear window last night, well sorta. I got the window to go up and down by jumping some wires to the battery, that in it's self is a win! I have decided for sure that I am going to completely re-wire the whole thing and by pass all of the saftey stuff. The way the window works is....2 wires from the window motor, touch one to pos and the other to neg it goes one way, switch the wires and it goes the other way. I will be using the original switch that goes in the center console, except I am going to put it in one of the knock outs in the dash for a clean look. I am also planning to tap into the original limit switches. I am FAR from an electrical engineer but I think I have figured out how to wire everything and have it work right. Not sure if it is the best or easiest way, but I believe it will get the job done. I bought everything I needed and got started running some wires, but still have a long ways to go. Wish me luck guys!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 AM

The never ending battle with the rear window/switch what a PITA. Have you looked into 12 volt guys wiring harness? I also had to trouble shoot to get mine to kind of work, I got the key on the tail gate for now to open and close the window. I read on here that the wiper can cause the switch not to work and of course the switch that the bolt for the top makes contact with. Also a relay in the wiring harness.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:24 AM

I have seen the 12volt guys harness and think it is very nice, However I think I can make my own harness for less than half of the price he charges. If you have seen the wiring diagram on 4crawlers site then you would know how overly complex the wiring is with all of the saftey's and such. Getting rid of all that stuff and having a reliable back window shouldn't have to be so hard. I have about $30 worth of supplies not including things I alredy had, if my plan doesn't work then I will buy the 12voly guy harness. If it does work then I'll show everyone how I did it. LOL.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 AM

I hear ya. I have not seen the wiring diagram on 4 crawlers site but it does sound like a PITA.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^ I was very lucky and bought a used tailgate from a yard, and it worked, chatters a little but it works.
Do you have the relay and the control box?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 AM

RBX I had to buy a used tail gate also, paid a pretty penny for it and took his word that the motor worked, lucky for me it does. I do have the original relay and control box but I am not going to be using either. I am adding my own relays....4 of them in fact. Again, I'm not sure if it is the easiest or best way but it is the only way I can figure to switch the current to each leg of the motor.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
If the control and relay test ok, it may be easier to just jumper the lines at the control to get the window to actuate.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM

You are prob right, but in order for that to happen I would have to be smart enough to jumper the dang thing, lol. My electrical knowledge is limited to things like hooking up stereo's, and wiring things like a fan, or off road lights. You could certianly say that mechanical and suspension stuff is more my speed. Diagnosing problems is beyond me, which is a large part of the reason I have opted to do this from scratch. Besides even if I did get the relay control box jumped properly, I would still have to mess with the birds nest of wiring the PO did to the harness down stream. I just want to be done with it!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

I will be curious to see if your window wiring works. Im battling my window right now also.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM

^ you and me both.

RBX, do you know anything about the limit switches for the window? The wiring diagram only shows 1 limit switch but I would have thought there should be 2, one for up and another for down? What gives?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 AM

IT WORKS! My rear window that is. I still have alot of work to do cleaning up my wiring, I didn't run all of the wires nice and neat because I wanted to test everything and have it be easy to trouble shoot. I did not include the limit switches but it seems fine with out them. I am going to try and find a way to post the hand drawn wiring diagram I made to follow so that others can use it, but just taking a picture of it isn't coming out very well. I will also get some pics of the actual wiring up soon.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 01-08-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread