86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yodathespian87's 1990 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to know. After I am done with my 3.4 I want to see what kind of power and the feel of it and then go from there. Looking at costs you are def. right. 2 grand to make the trans a manual. at least 2 grand for the engine. Anywhere for 2 grand to 10 on suspension axles and lockers. So if I can go cheaper I'm now thinking that would make it more fun. So like it was said before to balance out the rig to be capable and fun. Yet fully functional. Seeing as I already have a 2nd generation 4Runner.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine that will help you out w/ the differences in the UZ series engines.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Forced induction (supercharging/turbocharging) is going to deliver you more power for the $ than displacement here at altitude. V8 swap is going to be pretty fully custom - 3.4 swaps are VERY well documented. All that said, the Lexus V8 (2UZ IIRC) is an aluminum block and SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the iron block 3.4L.
Just to clarify. by lexus v8 I think you mean the 4.0 1uzfe (though the 2uz 4.7 is in lexus's, the term lexus v8 is commonly the 4.0). And I am pretty sure it weighs more than the 3.4 (about 350lbs). Not much more but a tad.

I agree to keep it simple and fun.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like the 1uz is more desirable then the 2uz and 3uz is just more of a pipe dream and less realistic. And if I like how the 3.4 performs I will go that way.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 AM

check out this thread if you are seriously considering the 1uzfe

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=lexus+v8+swap

I decided to go with the 3.4 for my WHEELER for a few reasons. Its a truck motor and makes good low end torque, is small, easy, and relatively easy to work on. It was my 3rd 3.4 swap. It doesnt have the cooling obstacles that the 1uz has. And it can be mated to an auto trans. The 4.0 hasnt (that I have seen so far) been able to be mounted to a toyota auto with out over powering the torque converter. Yes even when tried with the original lexus trans. The only auto I have heard of being used with a 1uz succesfully is 700r4's and stronger.

For my DD I would like to do the 1uz for the sound/power/fun etc.... reasons. My DD is a stick shift 88 runner. But i have been keeping my eye on that thread to see how domestic conversion kits are coming. If my 88 blew a motor tomorrow Im 80% sure id run a 3.4 in it. My 5500 lb 92 4runner/auto/5.29's/120lb tire/rim....scoots!!! With the 5.29's its actually kind of a handful. I have a buddy with a stock 88 4runner (1500+ lbs lighter) with a 3.4 auto 4.10's and I smoke him in races. And my other bud has a 99 4runner 3.4 auto and I smoke him even worse. IMO I have as much power as I am comfortable with

Last edited by 4rnr; 06-02-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Well there are benefits of running the 3.4. Bolts dirrectly to the trans. (Which means I get to keep it stick, which is a pro for me) Cheaper then the V8's. I am doing one of the swaps now so it will be even easier. Can improve upon the things I have encountered during this swap. If I gear to the correct tire size then a huge engine isn't really needed. The 3.4 is actually quite compact and I have lots of space under the hood.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Lexus extremes also has lots of info. But there aren't a lot of those available around here. Even in Denver the selection is minimal. Which is anoth thing to consider.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

For the roof I was think of running dual sun roofs I'm thinking that would open it up for the summer time allow me to stay warm in the winter. Has anyone done this. I saw this done on a prius but I'm not working with a prius. It's the same basic concept right. Has anyone replaced the stock moon roof seeing as I will have to replace that as it is cracked.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:56 PM

most info i have ever found on the 1UZ, including bellhousing adapters, upgrades etc all come out of australia from being in the soarer there. If you want to go that route, then i would do some searching around on the toymods.org forum.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks I will check that out. I think its going to come down to money (Isn't it always) And the availability of all the items. Denver has more selection so I will keep my eyes open for a wreck up there. Earlier you guys were talking about the tippy factor. I don't want to be rolling all the time (or at all for that matter) what can I do to reduce those chances?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:56 PM

I'm just wondering why you want a V8 so bad, I know the 3.0 gets a really bad rap for being underpowered but it's also already in your rig and was practically free. I would throw a new head gasket on there, I'm 17 and did it in 2 days, so you should be able to do it easy. It may be underpowered but who cares, use gearing to get the power or torq you want. I dunno, I just see it as a waste to put all that money into a rig for that when there are so many other things thats would cost less and help you out more. It's just a suggestion but I would seriously consider it.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:20 PM

i wouldn't go with dual sun roofs

Trust me, in the summer, having the windows/sunroof(if you have one)/back window down is PLENTY.

I want to chop the rear off of mine so its more unique, and so i have storage for messy/dirty stuff.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I was thinking of that. Can throw the tow chain and cooler, jerry can, all back there and yet fit the guys on the inside out of the weather. For winter though it sucks having snow in the bed of a truck. So maybe if I could strap it back on to the back that would work. I saw a guy on here that did that. It would be like a shell for a pickup for the winter. I would the back window to go all the way down though. Has anyone been able to get that to happen?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Why do you say the snow in the back sucks?

If not it would just be on the roof?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Snow here in Colorado Springs it snows for a few days, melts, and freezes, creating ice. If you have a tow chain in the back put a sheet of ice around it and it doesn't become any fun. And snow on the roof blows off soon as you drive snow in the bed of a truck stays cause of the shade. It really sucks having to dig through the snow to find the stuff in the bed of your truck. I know it doesn't snow all the time and I will have this in the garage as much as as possible but I like to weigh the pros and cons of everything. I'm still liking the cut the back off the back idea for this 4Runner.My other one I will keep all together.

Last edited by yodathespian87; 06-15-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:40 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotakid23
I'm just wondering why you want a V8 so bad, I know the 3.0 gets a really bad rap for being underpowered but it's also already in your rig and was practically free. I would throw a new head gasket on there,...It may be underpowered but who cares, use gearing to get the power or torq you want. I dunno, I just see it as a waste to put all that money into a rig for that when there are so many other things thats would cost less and help you out more. It's just a suggestion but I would seriously consider it.
Here at altitude, the 3.0 flat out don't cut it - you need power to hold speed on steep roads at high elevation. Gearing is a MUST, but it won't be enough.

Not necessarily V8 power, but way more than 3.0 power in a heavy, equipped offroad rig.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Gearing is your friend here! My 22R pickup dies on any hill. On step grades I down shift to 3rd just hoping to get some speed up the hills. I shift into the far right lane so I don't get ran over. I don't have to have a V8 but I need more then a 3.0 for the 4Runner. And for off road purposes I figured the extra would be helpful. And then gearing on top of that.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:28 PM

oh alright I didn't take the altitude into consideration like I'm in a hilly part of cali but compared to what you guys are used to that ain't sayin much. Well have you considerd the LS1 swap. I know you said you wanted to use a toyota or lexus engine but I hear the LS1 relatively affordable. I'm not really sure what all would have to go into it, but it might be worth a look.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 PM

What part of california man?

Even not being at higher altitudes having no power sucks be it on hills or flat ground.
I love the difference between the 3.4 and the 3.0. After the swap i can pull the hills i travel every day in 5th gear. Opposed to the 3.0 where i would have to downshift to 3rd to pickup speed at all.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Same here. I would lose all speed and power soon as I hit a hill and would try to get running starts on the hills. Thats why I was thinking of V8, but if my 3.4 swap has plenty of power I might go that route. As for the LS1 thats a Corvette engine right? And no Chevy engine is going in my truck. Yeah people argue they are cheaper and more power. And it kinda sounds funny after that last line to say but thats not what I want. Keeping it Toyota.

I stole this from 4rnnr33. I like the double cab look for the 4runner. Kinda square it up a little bit I'm not looking for a Ridgeline or Avalanche look.

Last edited by yodathespian87; 06-05-2009 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: yodathespian87's 1990 4Runner Build-Up Thread