86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Wagigknp '89 SR5 Xcab buildup

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my drive shafts made. $340 out the door. Welded and installed the exhaust, hooked everything up and the truck ran just fine! Well, It is idling at 3k rpm but I am sure it is just a hiccup. I think it has to do with the way i routed my Idle Air Control Valve. Anyway. Once i get that figured out I can take the truck for its first test drive.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:25 PM

So, I have completed the Swap. The project will always continue but the swap part is complete!
I didnt mention this before but i was pouring oil out the back of the engine in the bellhousing. I thought it was the rear main seal. I decided to pull the engine (and transmission together cause its easier). That was fun. Anyway it ended up being the oil pan was too warped to seat on the block so i had to remove the oil pan, put the engine on the engine stand and pound the oil pan into mostly straight. It doesnt leak anymore, but what a pain the ass...

My high idle was the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) being stuck open. I took it apart and cleaned it up. It is now stuck closed...oh well. It doesnt idle worth crap but i can drive it.

I took it for a drive and wow. What an amazing feeling. Engine sounded great. BOV worked flawlessly and i was having a grand time. This was 10 at night. Instead of just getting gas and straight home i decided to keep driving...well, I was doing a 3rd gear pull. Boost building up then boooom! I pulled over and checked the engine. Sounded like an intercooler pipe came off. Ended up being the case but i couldnt see it in the dark. What was concerning was the turbo and down pipe was bright red!!! That cannot be normal! I got it started right away, it would run in low rpms...I wanted to keep oil and coolant flowing in the turbo to try and save the bearing. I think I was successful.

At home, under lights i got the intercooler piping hooked up and drove it to work the next day. IT ran like crap and when i would check the engine it looked/felt like the turbo was running wayyy too hot. It felt like there was no low/midrange power and lots of backfiring and almost stalling. I have a number of things to check but i am worried that the engine was running rich/lean and something got broken. Turbo sounds fine but it seems like boost is leaking or something. Hope to get it figured out on Sunday.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 AM

So I got it figured out with some help. Truck has been down on power and still running hot. I did a head gasket replacement (4 out of 6 cylinders failed), little help. I found one wire on the ecu that was disconnected that helped but it still wasnt running very well.

I finally got to spend some time with my expert buddy who did this swap on his truck. He got his timing light out and turns out i was 20 degrees advanced/off. I was blowing fuel/combustion straight into the exhaust! Thats why it was running so hot! Turns out the previous owner had installed the cam position sensor 180 degrees off TDC. The engine still ran because it is a waste spark setup (google it, i had to). It was just close enough to be within the realm of running but very poorly. We got that put in correctly and it is a whole new beast! Runs like a top! We also put on a new BOV that recirculates the air so it runs really smooth with no issues at all. A total pleasure to drive!

Basically this is what happened since my last post. I got the boost leaks fixed. Still runs like crap. I pulled the engine and fixed the oil leak (oil pan and rear main). I tore the head off and replaced the head gasket. Still runs hot and like crap. Finally Saturday got it fixed, hence this post!

Moving forward i will post updates as i now work on making the truck clean and organized. Video and pics to come!