Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heres an old video from red lake i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MII9omBMYQ8

[YOUTUBE]MII9omBMYQ8[/YOUTUBE]
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 AM

1st snow run of the season with plenty of snow
these are just off the cellphone. i think i got a few more on the camera

a little two wheel drive action till we got to the trail head, yes the road to the trail head is covered in snow haha

Old 12-16-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awsome!! looked like alot of fun!!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, great pics... and WOW, sick rigs, all of them! LOVE that SAS'sy FJ!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea
Awsome!! looked like alot of fun!!
was a ton of fun. should have another trip on new years day

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, great pics... and WOW, sick rigs, all of them! LOVE that SAS'sy FJ!!!!
yea the FJ is sweet, 1 tons and arb front and rear.

fully extended

fully compressed, i need to adjust my bumps since the shocks dont compress anymore

Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recommend keeping the factory bump stops when you use the Bilstein 34-185745. The shock when extended= 17.95 and collapsed 11.67 Unfortunately no way around it, if you want to use the factory shock mounts finding a shock that can handle a metal to metal geometry (no bumps) doesn't exist. If you revert back to the factory bumps you'll be fine. The stock rubber will compress quite a bit and because the metal backing plates will hold up to lots of abuse. The low pro poly style will crumble and fail.

The other option is to go with one of my shock hoops that locate the shocks behind the UCA. Or build something on your own. But even with shock hoops you will not gain much more travel as achieving metal to metal is where the CVs start to bind up. The ball joints and tie rod ends are also near their limit.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM

Man seems fun. My brother in law was out there too that day. A red first gen runner don't know if u guys ran across each other. But he did mention it being a lot of snow haha
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
I recommend keeping the factory bump stops when you use the Bilstein 34-185745. The shock when extended= 17.95 and collapsed 11.67 Unfortunately no way around it, if you want to use the factory shock mounts finding a shock that can handle a metal to metal geometry (no bumps) doesn't exist. If you revert back to the factory bumps you'll be fine. The stock rubber will compress quite a bit and because the metal backing plates will hold up to lots of abuse. The low pro poly style will crumble and fail.

The other option is to go with one of my shock hoops that locate the shocks behind the UCA. Or build something on your own. But even with shock hoops you will not gain much more travel as achieving metal to metal is where the CVs start to bind up. The ball joints and tie rod ends are also near their limit.
i cant find my stock bumps
i was thinking of getting more droop with some lo pro bumps but after see how much droop they get on stock bumps, if it went any lower the upper arm would drop down into the shocks. its mm away from hitting on full droop. i really think if i move the shock hoops up an inch the rest of the components would be able to go up since it droops more than it compresses. the diff drop allows little more room to play with. i dont know if at full droop if the shocks are fully extended as well. this will be the deciding factory if i want to move the upper mount up an inch

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Man seems fun. My brother in law was out there too that day. A red first gen runner don't know if u guys ran across each other. But he did mention it being a lot of snow haha
did not see any 1st gen red runner. i went on the 15th. i did see 3 red jeeps. lots of snow and icy
Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 PM

He went that day too but to shaver I think. Not sure. Icy, yes he said he spun out two times haha
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Nate...

I have Downey Mega Travel Upper BJ's... Would that help at all with your set up? I've had so many ask me where to get them.... But Jim is out, I got the last set. I guess his were made for adding to a BJ spacer set up... which isn't really how your stuff works, right? So I was just curious if you think they'd help. They seemed to give me a bit more Uptravel... Couple inches. But I try to watch the droop, lol..

Sorry Toyo... I don't mean to create a tangent... Just kinda asking for you, since I MIGHT have a line on a guy here in the South Bay that occasionally does that machining on the Ball joints and other things. Either he or some other dude bought the machine that Jim of Downey used to do his machining on them. I guess that doesn't help with the tie rod ends, anyhow... But I meant to ask that as well... "Would the FJ Tie Rod ends that some people use on our First Gens work?" I guess they'd be just as limited, right? Just be tougher/stronger.

I have that in my thread somewhere, actually, Toyo... This guy did a great write up on the FJ TRE's install in 1st Gens and such. Yotarob did that Hiem set up, too.

I just have SUCH AN ITCH for either SAS or LTS... And, since seeing how reasonable and CAPABLE Nate's kits are... I'm really curious on all the variables. (I'll do all my own semantics research, don't worry, haha. Just wondered on the Mega Travel BJ's thing).

Thanks for posting all your findings and practical applications on this Blazeland Stuffs. I've stashed a set of uncut PYPart UCA's already, in case. Even if I can't do this for a while... Someone can use em, right? lol.

Take care, Toyo... hope you have a great Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 AM

I have been thinking about a better upper ball joint but like you said no one makes them anymore. I'm still on the original bj but been holding out on replacing them with oem if I can find the ones you have chef. Either way I would only gain an inch or two up travel if that before I need to get new high clearance fenders.

Honestly. I could have easily SAS this runner for what the LT was but SAS wasn't what I wanted. Guess I like being different. If I every blow out my LT kit and replacement would be too much to repair I would seriously consider SAS. I hope to do my 82 up so this won't happen. I love having my uniquely built runner. Lowest of anyone I wheel with including tire size but yet I'm right there on the same rocks lol. Prove that SA isn't needed

Besides I would take a locked ifs over any open SA rig
Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 AM

That last line probably has a lot to do with it lol plus your mad wheeling skillz lol
Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Don't get wrong. Too many people think they can go from open ifs to open SA and expect to go further.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Toyo,

I here you, my 1985 xtra cab vrs my 1986 xtra cab is the perfect learning platform to showcase many misconceptions! I am starting to put together a build thread on this subject. I'll probably call it Blazen8's Grudge Match or something. The problem is my 1986 has so much motor its just not fair to compare to a 22RE. By the way, I am skeptical a SAS can be performed at even close to the same cost as a Blazeland LT.

I think I might have some stock bump stops. If I do I will send them to you.

You can use low pro bumps on the droop stops and the shock will be fine but the CVs will bind. The outer tie rod ends might also bind. When I designed the geometry of the system these were all part of the formula. I know all the little mods can gain some here or there, but then you run into some other complication. I wanted to keep everything stock and simple.

Yeah, the Downey Mega Travel BJs could allow a bit more droop but then your binding the CVs. And its an added expense to machine them. Then when you break one you have to go hunt down another one. Its not a quick trip to Autozone.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
1st snow run of the season with plenty of snow
these are just off the cellphone. i think i got a few more on the camera

a little two wheel drive action till we got to the trail head, yes the road to the trail head is covered in snow haha

OOH Man am I pissed that I missed it. Glad you guys had fun and everyone made it off the mountain ok.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Wow, I have been missing all the fun..where you at man? Clovis here. Didn't realize so many Toyotas around here. Nice rig
Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Toyo,

I here you, my 1985 xtra cab vrs my 1986 xtra cab is the perfect learning platform to showcase many misconceptions! I am starting to put together a build thread on this subject. I'll probably call it Blazen8's Grudge Match or something. The problem is my 1986 has so much motor its just not fair to compare to a 22RE. By the way, I am skeptical a SAS can be performed at even close to the same cost as a Blazeland LT.

I think I might have some stock bump stops. If I do I will send them to you.

You can use low pro bumps on the droop stops and the shock will be fine but the CVs will bind. The outer tie rod ends might also bind. When I designed the geometry of the system these were all part of the formula. I know all the little mods can gain some here or there, but then you run into some other complication. I wanted to keep everything stock and simple.

Yeah, the Downey Mega Travel BJs could allow a bit more droop but then your binding the CVs. And its an added expense to machine them. Then when you break one you have to go hunt down another one. Its not a quick trip to Autozone.
i might be able to get a set of stock bumps from a buddy who just did a SAS for someone. you got to remember i have one inch diff drop. i figure i have alot of droop and the compression should be able to handle the same about minus the steering rod since i think it will hit the frame if i compress too much lol

Originally Posted by THEMAN
OOH Man am I pissed that I missed it. Glad you guys had fun and everyone made it off the mountain ok.
yea you missed out. was a good size group, i dont like too big of a group. guess your gonna miss out on the new years run as well

Originally Posted by loko ino
Wow, I have been missing all the fun..where you at man? Clovis here. Didn't realize so many Toyotas around here. Nice rig
im in Fresno/Clovis area as well. i tend to go up as often as i can. my next run should be new years day. i might go up sometime after xmas as i have the entire week off as well just to play around with maybe a 2 to 5 rigs since i just want to mess around. play in the snow and what not
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM

Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM

Nice amount of snow^^^

Hit me up after Xmas. I might be able to make a run with u. Ill try to bring tou too

Last edited by vang_22re; 12-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAN View Post
yea you missed out. was a good size group, i dont like too big of a group. guess your gonna miss out on the new years run as well

yeah I have a hockey tournament that day. Hopefully my 4runner engine will be done this week. I also almost have all the parts I need to lift my 82. I have front and rear springs, high steer, power steering, 15x10 wheels, just need new shocks and I believe that's it.

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread