86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello Mark.. I meant to respond to an earlier post about the 3rd Gens and meeting Habanero and Mighty Mouse. I would really like to meet them, they seem like some really great people. I am in the very southwest of Missouri and they are in the Northeast. It is a long ways. If I ver get up that way I would like to meet them.

I do have a 3rd gen runner. It is an 01, I bought it in late 03 with 60k miles and have only done the basic maintainace on it and isty had the timing belt changed while I was overseas. It has been a great truck. It was what turned me on to Toyotas. I would get a domestic paid off and and sure enough it would start causing problems and I would have to get back into car payments again. Got the 01 and it has been such a great truck that I needed a second truck and I had a 91 4Runner with the 3.0 with a 5 speed.

You hear alot of bad about the 3.0 with the 5 speed, but I loved that runner. Unfortunately rust had gotten a hold of the whole underside and it was just beyond my ability to repair it. I sold it and got my 87 flatbed and the frame was rusted on it so I had to do a frame swap out of desperation, I didnt know of frame issues, but those 3 trucks are what got me into Toyotas. I have had several since then and not having car payments for 7 years and no repair payments other then maintaince, I can say Toyotas really have gotten me into better fianancial shape. Getting rid of carpayments has allowed me to work on other things that I wanted to or needed to.

I could get nicer projects that dont require so much work, but I do enjoy a challenge and each truck has taught me alot and it is something I truly enjoy. I have helped another guy work on a 3.4 and it really isnt as bad to work on as some might think, but mine is trouble free and I am really comfortable working on the 79-95, but I favor the 84-88/89 runners and trucks. I know the 89-95 real well and can do anything on them as I can on a 84-88.

I will post some pics of my 01 tomorrow. Here is one of it in the background. What my 88 looked like when I first got it and it was terrible. Was advertised for parts or a rock crawler. The picture is better then what it was.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol same corner as mine got the bop to the nose

good to see the progress on wiring (i wish mine was wiring im better at that lol)

as for guns yeah i learned early on im good with them i was with the law enforcement explorers a branch of the scouts in lawton Okla got to work with the police an also Ft sill army base provost marshal. due to the fact when we got the opportunity to ride with an officer at night we might be called upon to act to save the officers life we all got firearm training i was a natural shot i have a Ruger stainless 357 myself used when i was a security guard in some of the worst areas in Houston i do regret selling my Remington 12 gauge pump stainless an black but needed the $

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 08-12-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha.. How hilarious that you probably posted that and I never saw it? lol... ORRRRR, maybe it just stuck in my subconscious! YEAH, I like the latter... at least it leaves a lil more hope for me!

GREAT Work on that thing, man! I told ya that many times.. And wow, I guess having had a white one, that's part of my love for them... but I just think they clean up SO NICE! Can't explain why I think it's such an attractive/practical color! Obviously the 20-40*F cooler inside than a black one factor in AZ, etc.... yeah, that's an OBVIOUS "PRACTICAL" factor, hahaha... But easier to keep clean/scratch free, too And just, I don't know... it just seems... less "Play" looking. I LOVE the red... But for one, it's 4x more likely to be pulled over! lol.... It sucks up UV rays like a sponge does water.... Stuff like that, lol.

I think my FAV, if it's done PERFECTLY, is still the Blueberry blue or White. Next after that, IF IT'S DONE RIGHT(LIKE i LIKE IT), I think the Toyota Silver is just a REALLY nice color. Had an 81 Celica Supra(yep, a first gen!)... and it was that Silver, with black leather,.... REALLY pretty big in back with the seat folded down, ya know?... LOVED that color>>>>>

Looked just like this, but all silver>>>

REALLY miss that car! Just bought it to sell it, really... Held on for a lil while though. lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Gosh I hate those crimp connectors. Got an 88 full of them currently. Every wire on driver door has one where they cut them for some dumb reason. With power locks and windows it looks like a nest of crimp. It's sad and bootyfabulous!

:wabbit2:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn..I have worked in Lawton quite a bit when I lived in Tulsa, and once was in Houston and I was surprised at how bad it was in some places. They had some Katrina survivors out there and it was dangerous. Did you live in Texas or Oklahoma for a while? I lived in Tulsa for 5 years.

Hello Mark...In the picture of Mistys truck, it doesnt look bad at all. White hides all of the dents that were in it. One guy was at the house the other day getting some of my old 2 wheel drive parts as he is restoring one and had several compliments on it. The orginal owner of it would like to buy it back. His son is the one that tore it up.

Misty is wanting some more done to it but is holding off so that I can get my truck running as we need a truck and understands I want my runner at least as nice as hers. Mine will be alot nicer then hers in the long run just because she wont know of the things I will be putting on it. Already got my 82 Supra AFM, will be getting V6 brakes and I am keeping an eye out for a Mercedes motor. I do enjoy driving hers, but want my own.

I looked at two 83 convertible Celicas a few days ago. I alway liked them and would like to find one that I could do. These were in bad shape and he wanted alot for them. I dont have spare parts and it would of been to expensive to build. Mabe one day.

Hello Waskillywabbit...I think they had a big production run on those butt connectors. You got half of them and I got the other half of the run. I seen what they did to yours. Those things should be out lawed. They will work in a indoor enviroment but outside they are nothing but trouble. In a perfect world I would like to have an uncut harness, but otherwise, soldering is about the best you can do and is as close as you are going to get to uncut. The inventor of those needs ??? lol
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I finally got the lights working. I have alot of hours troubleshooting and replacing those connectors but it is fixed right and wont be causing any more problems. All of the lights worked except tail lights. Wouldnt of found it until I started doing resistance checks and found another set of connectors.

Toyota uses the alot of the same color wires and they have different color stripes. I couldnt get the test to pass and went inch by inch and found where two wires were crossed. One was a green with a yellow stripe and one was green with a black stripe. Sounds easy but with all the tape glue,dirt and dust it is easy to do.

Another problem was I swapped the tail light relay with a used one. What are the chances of 2 being bad. Never ran into it before so thought I had something else going on or more splices. Long story short, I was using a probe test light and kept checking the fuse and relay and eventually, (this is my theory) the test probe made a ground and got the relay working. Guess there is a way of testing relays but I dont know how.

To get the fuse box out, if you have never done it, slide your finger tip in the cutout until it goes against it or slighty under it. Then gentle upward pressure will releas the clip. Also remove the bottom bolt first. Will need to grasp it on the sides and work off of its mounting tabs.

The silver barrel is the relay and a pic of the fuse cover for those that may not have one as most are missing.

Tail lights are on. Just need to replace a ball joint,get all other lights on and get it inspected. This will work for Mac County, pickup beds are over rated. This will make it easier for doing other things I want to do to it before getting it ready for paint.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 PM

got a mini skirt for the girl huh terry LOL! just the tail lights to cover her modesty

yeah 6 years in lawton an 15 in houston (i went to humble high school Jr year the same year the chalenger exploded i was one of the kids picked to ask science questions of the first teacher in space Mrs. McAuliffe via live connection, suffice to say the rest of my Jr year was forgotten (i honestly do not remember any of it) , new caney high (same year someone burned the old one down an the new high tech building was built i was a senior it was new caney i got the 76 firehorse pinto from abandoned by its PO lived around houston till 1999
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

We are high tech here in Missouri. NOT...hehe, it will just be temporary til I can get the back of the cab finished. Shouldnt take long to get the bed knocked out. I am hoping to have this thing painted,tuned up,and the trim done with in a few weeks. Once it gets legal, I can really get things done on it. It is a solid little truck.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the Lower Ball Joint on. It has been years since I have done one. Did the Upper one recently. Normally when I know I have a project coming up, I do a little investigating and soaking in PB Blaster, but this time I thought it would be easy, but never done a Toyota.

It would of went alot easier had I took the time to at least soak it some. Had some difficulty and was wondering if I was doing something wrong. Even got Jason on the phone getting some help. Thanks Jason!!

I did find a link for others that may come in useful. LINK... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nstall-239860/

Clean and soak the top of the old one days before starting. This is a spare that I have and used it to practice on. Exact same crud in the hole and on the ball joint. Rust is thicker then it looks. Should pass inspection now.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-16-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
got a mini skirt for the girl huh terry LOL! just the tail lights to cover her modesty
Just needed to repost that. Made me laugh pretty hard. Cheers!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchbelly
Just needed to repost that. Made me laugh pretty hard. Cheers!
then ive done a good deed today chalk one up for the dragon LOL
Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 AM

when you gonna start on the 85 terry? and why did you sell this one?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 AM

i dont think he sold it curtis i think hes doing it fo a family member , looking good terry! think im gonna ship you down when i do the body work on my 82!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by 1986yota4x4
when you gonna start on the 85 terry? and why did you sell this one?
Hello 1986yota4x4...I have been working on the 85 on the end of my 88 runner build starting at Page 30. Monday or Tuesday I will get some before and after pics of it. It is in alot better shape now then when I got it. I was just orginally going to just get it running, but the motor I was going to use it on was from an 84 and without alot of redneck engineering it wouldnt work. I will take the time to do it right. I am going to have to build a motor for it and it will cost more to get it running then to finish my 86 runner and that is the one really want to get done.

When I got the 85 pickup, I was going to sell the 88 pickup as I dont think a narrow bed would look good on an Extra cab. My brother really wanted this one and has always like the narrow beds on any truck. It is still getting a narrow bed, just not my Downey bed. He is going to put alot more money into then I was going to. I was just after a clean looking and dependable truck. He has never really had a fixed up truck or car, mostly cookie cutter cars that you see 10 more of on the road in a mile. So he is wanting this one done up right.

He will be funding this build which will make it more enjoyable for me as I do like working on them and seeing what they turn out like when they are done. I have 2 first gen runners, 1 third gen runners and the 85 pickup. That is plenty for me to work on and keep up on maintaince. I have had several Toyotas to pass thru my hands, wish I could keep them all but is unrealistic. Some to fix and sell to help fund my hobby and house needs, some I get to keep. The 85-88 trucks above are going to be my keepers.

I have learned to look at a project from a distance in time. My 86 was in plans when I bought it for a parts truck. I did use it for parts but when I came across a great deal on the parts it needed, I got them, and by doing it that way, I really dont have a whole invested in my 86 runner.

I really think I can have the 86 runner and his truck done in a couple more months. I got to get them painted soon before it gets to cold for me to paint. I dont want to get to many threads on here. Once I get one or both trucks done, I will start a build on the 85 since it will be getting a motor build,paint, and interior. It will be a clean looking truck when finished and is actually one of the easiest builds I will have done. All of the others were alot more involved.

You will notice that I have a frame laying on its side in my garage. That will be a project for next year or the year after. I am getting a cab from Jason and I have always wanted to do a full on restore doing every nut and bolt. I have alot of parts but not enough to do a complete truck. I will do that for the Downey bed. Slacker has one of most indepth builds and I have never done one like that on any truck. Have done all of it on different trucks, just not all on one truck. Just something I have always wanted to do was to basically drive a brand new truck when done. I have owned 2 new trucks in the past and payments get old. That build will be payment less when done.

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
i dont think he sold it curtis i think hes doing it fo a family member , looking good terry! think im gonna ship you down when i do the body work on my 82!
Thanks Westjohns yota..It should start to look better here fairly soon. It was ready for paint but now I got to finish the bed that is going on it. I even had the paint bought that I was going to use. Now I am hoping paint will stay good for awhile so as I can use it on something. May even find a 4 door car to put it on.

I wish there was someone around here that enjoyed working on these trucks. I would be glad to help you on yours. I did do the paint and body work on a 1st gen truck. Always liked those trucks. Getting parts around here is hard to find and the few trucks that do come along are so rusted up that there isnt anything to work with. The one I did do is the nicest one around here within 50 miles radius that I know of. There are just so few of them. When I come across the right one, I will do it up right. Just got to wait it out. The truck will come my way someday and when the time is right.

Doing the 88 for my brother and it will be one that he is going to take care of so that is nice to know that all the work I put into it is not for nothing. Plus he is funding it, I like that even better.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Nice, Terry! ..... that helped me get to a 'got it' point with all that goes on with ya, lol.... Which is ALL good, just not always 'great time' in getting there(hurdles, etc, I understand)...

I have a ready to go 22RE block(Minus the tiny welding it needs on the face/Had that one honed out)... Wish you were closer, I'd DONATE it, since you've done plenty for me without wanting back! Maybe Jason could pick it up(if he EVER comes by again ) hahaha...

Very interested to see his rig with the stepside bed..... NOT a huge fan on those bodies... but I'm SURE you'll make one that impresses me, nonetheless!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark...Some like the step side beds and some dont. They are not much use as the beds are so small but they are something a little rarer and that is what I do like about them. This bed just happened to come along as I was just going to fix it and sell it but that changed. When I do my Downey truck, my biggest reason is so that I can say I have truly built a new truck from the ground up. Just something I have always wanted to do. I have basically done all of the steps and my 86 runner wasnt to much away from being a full blown frame off restore. At one time was just the body bolts and a few under dash pieces was all that was left.

I am a strange duck in that sense. I love the Camaros and Mustangs as I like the hotrods is my true passion, but they are really expensive and no matter how much I do something like that, I cant compete with those that have 100s of thousends in some of those and could never be as nice.

After my 85 truck as I need a truck, then the Downey truck, I am going to look for something that will be a challenge and different, even thought of a Model T, Model A but they are out of my price range as well. So I am thinking of a 2 door wagon, Packard, Studebaker, early 40s- 60s car or truck. It wont be a Woody as my carpenter skills are terrible.

I like the Cutlass' from 72 and older, the 81-85 Cutlass, 69 Chevelles, 55 Chevies, 50s Ford trucks but I want a "Whats That?" I will always have some kind of project.

I have two blocks and a complete engine. One needs bored. I really dont spend two much on a motor as the machine work can add up and you have a engine builder in your area that I have bought 2 motors off of before and had some real good luck with. They are unitedengine.com if it is going to be a keeper and the motor is going to cost alot to rebuild, I will just pay the $1100 or so which includes shipping for one of their complete motors. I just do rings and bearings on a motor and replace the head if the machine work on the head is going to cost over $180ish.

I like doing projects, but once they are in daily driver mode, it just chaps my butt to have to do repairs, dont know why. Thats like on Mistys, I got to do the bearings and hubs and may as well get the brakes while in there. On my 86, it wouldnt bother me, I knew that going into it. I checked hers out before putting it on the road and she doesnt drive it hard at all, but I guess it is due so may as well face up to it.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 AM

Yeah, .... was gonna say on the other thread......... "Bearings are obtainable in OEM form, Koyo and Mikuni(?).... I got mine at a big sale at Napa, I believe.... OEM Koyo, same part number as Toyota, etc., so I just grabbed all 4 inner and outers and new races and get PACKIN THAT GREASE/DOING MAJOR CLEAN UP! Wound up with new rotors... So the outer portion at least was solid, lol.... but yeah, I just opened mine up and I must have done a good job.. Not a BIT of nasty grease, all still High Temp Valvoline RED Wheel Bearing Grease.... Probably cuz the bearings are new... so nothing was getting as hot, etc. NONE of my bearings were 'REALLY BAD' per say... and yet, there was beginning to be a lil play, etc., ....and a lil markings beginning... So why not go all out when you're doing all new rotors/calipers/wheel cyl's/OEM pads and shoes, right? Pretty rare for these bearings to go bad though..... sorry to hear it, it's messy! hahaha. ( I have a bearing packer if you need to borrow it? lol)
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Went to get the 88 truck inspected and everything passed but the windshield. Crack isnt in my view, but sounds like Missouri has changed it standards on windshields. I was wanting to replace the windshield after painting so it is less masking. I have an appointment at 10 am tomorrow and the will get it inspected.

After that I will have the alighnment checked. I did put about 15 miles on it today which is the first run it has been on since getting it. Truck rides great. The 84-88 trucks in my opinon ride alot better then the 89-95s which is surprising to me.

I do have a small leak at the fuel filter by the tank. I will just replace that fuel hose and needs a U-joint. One of the shocks seems to rattle which I will be replacing soon as well. Other then those few issues, was over all impressed with the truck. Seems like the more it runs the better it gets. I still havent done a complete tune up on it so am expecting better results as that happens.

Still until it gets a few hundred miles on it I wont feel confident in it for as long as it sat. Always worried a that a head gasket or a major leak will pop up. All 5 gears sounded great. 4 wheel works great.

Tomorrow it gets windshield and he should have it legal and Friday I will find out if the front end is solid or needs more work.

I think someone got his gas last nite as his tank is out in the open and the tank door on my runner is out of adjustment and is easily opened so I am out to catch me some little gas thieves.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 AM

ooh i detest gas thieves! had one in houston put a sharpened screwdriver right through my chevy trucks tank to drain it GRRR

i hope you catch um terry an the cops haul um off!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Hey Terry, sorry about the news, I always wanted to place a fake gas cap with a mixed fuel and some type of small metal pieces, let them put into they vehicle...lol

Need any parts, I got 85 22r complete and a complete head from my old 87 22r...

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build