86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't need to tell you to do your research, haha
But be careful when doing the gm alt swap, when I did mine it worked great but if the truck was under 1000rpms the batt and brake light would come on, I guess under 1k rpm the gm alt didn't put out enough volts
Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello Cyberhorn..I went and priced a regulator for it and the part store said it was $77, I will look further into it and see. I can get a rebuilt for $100. The guy at tthe counter was new and I dont think he really knew what he was talking about. Something else I get to look up.

Hello Twistedyota.. How you been doing? I wasnt aware of the lower RPMs causing problems. Something I will look into. Thanks fot the heads up on that.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got a bout 400 miles on it since getting it running again. I think I have a vacuum line or two wrong and will double check it here soon. I have been babying it and today I decided to start driving it like I normally do. Misty calls me a grandpa driver but today it kept getting up to 75 an 80 and wasnt even working at it. I really wanted to open it up and see what it would do but resisted the temptation. Last time I tried to see what it would do I got a seat belt ticket.

It wants to run and drives straight and quiet. Once I got the shifter cover and boot on, the noise has gone away. I eventually will change the tranny again just because I do know it isnt as quiet as the orginal but Im not hearing anything now. Not going to swap it for awhile.

I know have my confidence back in it. Not leaking a drop of fluid other then I have a little damp spot on the Power Steering and I will be chasing it out soon. Other then the vac lines, it is back to the truck that I know. One great little truck.

I am hoping to pull rear bumper and try and straighten it out soon until I can get a new one for it. The runners are about as far as I can go on them until I can spend bigger funds on them such as bumpers, carpet for mine, seat work, and tires.

So in the mean time I have been doing all of the cheapie things on the 85 Extra Cab. My brother swapped motors out of his truck and I will be getting that motor soon. I am just going to do a cheapie rebuild on the motor just to get it moving around and get it together. I will get a motor for it later. I am not going to tear down like I normally like to do until I get back and then it is going to get completely tore down and painted and brought back up.
I put it at the bottom of my signature. Have been having some descent weather lately and feels good to be tinkering on them again. Starting to feel like I am coming out of hibernation.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-23-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Good update, great to hear its not leaking! Sounds strong, too!

Keep up the great work, Terry.... Gonna be using a few of ur tips in the next few days
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good news on the trany i expect to be tracing vacuum lines with OCD intent

O..O must be right must be right..... lol
Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark...I am downloading your video of the climate controls and it is going slow. I dont have the best reception here. Toyota could of done a better job on that design.

Hello Cyberhorn.. I think I finally got all but one or two of them starghtend back out. I always had my 87 to refer to and should of done a better job on getting pictures of the lines. It makes a difference.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I havent got to be on in awhile and havent gotten to do anything to my projects and when I want to do something it just seems like it has turned into a bust lately. I am to deploy in May and between having to do things for the military and classes that I have to do for my job, just havent gotten to do anything or it has been to cold. When I do have a nice day, I have to be out of town. Grrr.

I took the Mistys truck to the shop to have the AC fixed and I had two compressors and both were bad. Been trying to get her truck up to 100% for her so as she will have two solid daily drivers.

I got brake parts for my runner but who knows when I will get a chance to get them put on. Got alot of little things I want to do to it as well. The battery is getting weak in it. It was an old battery when I put it in to begin with. When I drive it everday it does fine, but after sitting, it is slow cranking. I dont have any electrical drains on it, it is just that the battery is on its last leg.

I got a rebuild kit for my 85 extra cab and should have it running as soon as I get some time for it as well. After selling my flatbed, I have a trailer that I have been using. Never again will I be without a truck. The trailer comes in handy, but just doesnt replace a truck. Been trying to get the 85 running just for her to use while I am gone as we have one 3rd gen runner and two 2nd gen runners. My runner I will be taking the back burner for a while as she will have enough runners but some of the things she wants to do and will need to do will require a truck.

The 85 wont be nice til I get back and then I will tear it down and paint everything. Atleast it will be assembled and wont have to do anything but bodywork when I get back.

My job is tearing down a building and we were allowed to take anything we wanted as they were just going to bulldoze it down. I got lights,electrical,and alot of insulation. That is going to make a big improvement to my shop as well. That has been one thing that has helpd me up this winter as it was just to cold to do anything out there. Looking forward to getting everything installed in my shop and it will be so much nicer when done. Just another thing to add to my list of things I want to do.

Will be out of town again this week, but the weather is starting to warm up and little by little the parts are adding up as I get them when I have the chance. Hoping things slow down here shortly and I get a chance to make so pretty good sized progress.

I was at the store and seen one of my builds that I sold to a nephew of mine. It is the red standard cab 89. That truck was a disaster when I got it and I had it as far as I wanted to go with it when I sold it to him. I would of liked to have kept it but sold it to him. He wrecked it being a dumbutt and sold it to another guy. The guy had it fixed at a bodyshop and had the seats reupholstered with some nice fabric. Was nice seeing it again. It was one of my favorite trucks but I wanted a runner and we replaced it with a 91 Extended Cab. Didnt get to meet the new owner of it, but could tell he was taking good care of it.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW~! Now that's an update! Good to see you're still around and plugging away.

Sorry bout the compressors. Hope that works out, somehow!

Great to hear you're going to have a warm and toastier SHOP!

Take care, Terry... we're all missing your updates... YT has been dead enough without you on here... So I've been going into overdrive trying to at least provide some fodder! hahaha.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 AM

good to see ya post terry aw man on the compressors um sounds like you have a candidate to rebuild if they make a kit for that

im with mark miss your posts but im glad you got the lights an inulation for the shop! that'll also make the summers cooler as well
Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 AM

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
Terry - with summer coming (maybe a loong way off for you guys up there) I know that AC would be good to fix.

junk4u posted this link to rebuild kits for the AC compressor http://max-ac.com/advanced_search_re...10P15C&x=0&y=0

Also if you PM him, he said he has a PDF copy of the rebuild instructions. Supposedly, besides the o-rings, the shaft seal is what can go bad and not allow the compressor to build any suction.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark.. I have got plenty to do and want to do. This winter just wont stop. I have been tied up on several other things and think I have them all nailed down and should soon be able to get after it really quick. Thursday we are to be in the 60s and I have an early appointment and then when I get home, I really want to get after it.

Hello Cyberhorn..The shop has been on the back burner and it is nice to start seeing the possiblities of it being more useful. I have a torpedo heater but without insulation, it just wasnt able to keep up. This is the first winter in a long time that I havent gotten anything really accomplished.

Thanks Cory...I will send him a PM and get that from him. I like to try and rebuild things when I can and would like to do something like that.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Some of the things I want and need to do on Mistys Runner is the AC and latey the doors are sagging. I will look at Marks fix and have seen a post somewhere using Nissan door pins. Also the front passenger door handle wont open the door. You have to use the rear handle to open it. I am having the same problem on my 85 pickup so once I figure it out, it should make fixing the other one alot quicker. I have seen this problem when in the yards or on other trucks. It is like the handle is not pulling the bar far enough to release the latch.

I plan on going to the boneyard soon and getting a perfect dash out of a Toyota camper and putting it in her runner. It doesnt have any cracks in it. When I seen the camper sitting in the yard, I knew I had a good chance of it not being cracked as the overhead helped keep some of the sun off of it.

I about got my 86 Runner as far as I can go with it until I can get into more spending on it like buying carpet, rear bumper,seats, and AC. I will be taking Mistys old dash and putting it in mine as hers is alot better then what I have now.

If the block for the 85 is good that I have, I should make some quick progress on it as well. Talked to Jason yesterday and he has a good injector harness for it. Now I just need to get the motor running and I have one 90s bucket seat that I can use if I have to get it movable.

I also plan on starting to do body work on my friends 86 extra cab. It is in great shape, but does have alot of little dings in it. I will post some pics of it when I get to start on it. He sent me a picture of what he would like for it to look like when done. This might be a challange as I have normally worked on junked out trucks. Dont know about starting on something that is in descent conditon.lol.. The 86 truck has a good life ahead of it and knowing the work that will go into wont be in vain is always nice.

Got plenty to keep me busy, just as soon as it warms up.

I did get a 2nd gen domelight for Mistys Runner. Her switch handle is broken and came across this one. Will need to find her red interior paint and get it colored and installed.
Name:  thirdgenlight_zps38a3ede5.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  46.1 KB
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Hi Terry look forward to your fixes.
I'm gonna check out that link Cory posted.
Summer is coming around and I need to fix my AC too. I don't feel like dying of heat stroke this year lol
Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
Terry - if you don't find a good dash at the boneyard, check this out http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Picku...-/380602769689

I had never seen anything like that, but it looks like a great solution for a crack free dash. Little bit on the expensive side, but probably won't ever crack.

As for the AC, I have messed with mine twice now and I feel like I get a little bit smarter each time. The first time I just changed a few o-rings, vac'd it, and recharged with r134 and it worked great. The second time, chef alerted me to those 2 o-rings under the compressor fittings, so I changed all the o-rings, flushed the compressor and some of the lines, and again vac'd it and recharged it. I had read that the compressor shaft seal goes and you can no longer build the pressure on the hi side, and I suspect that is why mine is not quite as cool this time as it was the first time. I wish I had know about the compressor rebuild kits that junk4u posted...oh well, 3rd time is the charm I hope.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Redeth..We are getting cold again. Only in the 40s today until late this weekend. I have ALOT that I want to do if this weather would ever get warm and stay warm. I have been putting off the AC and wont be long til I need it so first time it gets hot, that will get me off of my butt to get something done with it.

Hello coryc85...I have been on a roll on dashes. Each one of my trucks will have a great dash in them. I have a lead on 2 more and will be helping someone who is looking for one for someone for sometime. I know how hard these are to come by.

I have been looking into the AC and it really isnt as bad as it might seem. Just been to cold for me to get outside and work on trucks. I am ready to ge after it and when I do get the chance I have been taking advantage of it when I can.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been busy, staying out of the cold, and the rest has been getting our 3rd gen runners maintaince where it needs to be. Replacing all 4 tires on our 3rd gen alone would of done alot to the 1st gens that I would of liked to do, but have to set priorities.

Have scored 1 perfect dash and 1 with a hairline crack at the very front. Hardly noticeable.
Name:  dash22_zps453fd1f7.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  76.6 KB

Did get some new to me tires fro Mistys runner. She had the stock tires on. When her old 31s wore out, she wanted the orginal size, I told her she would like the 31s better and she still wanted to want the smaller size. She finally admitted that I was right. Wish I would of got that on recording. When switching tires, I did see that I need to replace the front brake pads soon. They are getting thin.
Name:  tires1-1_zpsf9b2b809.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  96.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-25-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice score on the dash pads buddy, you have to grab that kinda stuff when you find so nice job. I wish everyone could see mistys truck in person, pics just ddon't do justice to the awesome job you have done with it over all.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Redeth..We are getting cold again. Only in the 40s today until late this weekend. I have ALOT that I want to do if this weather would ever get warm and stay warm. I have been putting off the AC and wont be long til I need it so first time it gets hot, that will get me off of my butt to get something done with it.

I have been looking into the AC and it really isnt as bad as it might seem. Just been to cold for me to get outside and work on trucks. I am ready to ge after it and when I do get the chance I have been taking advantage of it when I can.
Wow I could sure go for some of your weather right now. We reached 92degrees today in Los Angeles. Double your temperature. I like the cold though so its cool. Realy 60's is my prefered temperature. Right now this some good weather to work on any type of job for the truck. I'm just not a fan of 80+ weather

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Did get some new to me tires for Mistys runner.
Misty's truck still looks good. Either way looks awesome.

Last edited by Redeth005; 05-02-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason.. The guy that switched my tires out for me today said it was in great condition. I told him I did the paint, body, and interior work on it and what kind of condition it was in when I got it and he started looking it over and really liked it. I showed him a picture of my 86 I have in my cell phone an he liked it as well. Seeing one in great condition hides all of the work that goes into a project and the effort along with saving the nickel and dimes to get it completed helps to make it worth it in the long run. I seen him watching me drive off and he gave a last wave as I was getting on the highway.

Sometimes I am not sure some believe me when I tell them how bad it was and I did 99% of the work to it, but I am really happy with how it has turned out and the enjoyment I get of driving, when she lets me,lol,. The orginal owner has seen it once and was happy with what I had done to it. I plan on showing it to him again when I get in his area and think he will like it even more. He really didnt want to sell it and told me he was glad that he held on to it for me to save the funds to get it instead of selling to some others.

Thanks Richard..Those donuts just had to go. I think a little larger tire would look better, but I dont want to get into having to regear right now as I want to finish my projects. Maybe someday.

I didnt know what humidity was til I left this area and came back. Humidity really makes a big difference in what the temperture feels like. I remember the first day I was in San Diego and it was 90 degress. It felt great. 90 degrees in the midwest can get miserable. I will still take those hot humid days over this cold. I just got back form town and had to use wiper to get the slush off of my windshield. I am so ready for summer. I dont believe in global warming, but am starting to believe in global freezing. brrr, it is cold here.lol
Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Terry,

I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for your thread, posts, pictures and all the help you've offered right along with all the rest of the good folks in your thread here and on the board. I've spent the last few months reading, researching and looking for my truck and finally found her. The whole time I've enjoyed many threads but I don't think any more than this one (and I've read and appreciated every word). Just didn't feel right not saying thank you for all the work you've put into the thread let alone your attention to detail on your project trucks.

I'm not new to Toyotas, in fact I've always had a Toyota truck of some flavor my entire life but this is the first time I'll have one the way I want it and to say you've inspired me would be the understatement of the year.

Be safe if/when you find yourself overseas again and most importantly, thank you very much for your service sir.

Jerod
89' Runner Project

Last edited by diableri; 05-09-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread