86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Thanks...I got it from http://www.stockinteriors.com/. It was $140 for the seat areas and that was with shipping I think. The trunk area actually cost more. It is expensive if you buy all 3 pieces. (2 for front,1 for trunk)

On the trunk area I got some indoor/outdoor carpet. It is like normal carpet, but has like a plastic lining on the back.

Looks like you got a sharp runner. Welcome to Yota tech.
Thanks! Much appreciated! I'm glad to be part of the forum have a lot of work to do on the runner myself.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Terry that's how I do it LOL. She went for the lift on hers pretty easy.
Hope all is going well with you.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Your welcome. Will be looking for your build thread when you get it going.

I had a request for some weather stripping and they were out. I got a notice that they now have it. Thought I would post for some one else who may want a set.

Weather Stipping http://www.am-autoparts.com/Toyota/4...m_campaign=OOS
Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

LOL all is going well here. Just been tinkering on my friends truck. Made some progress. Had to do some running around today.

Hoping tomorrow to get to my 83. Just going to try and get the engine bay prepped for paint.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Been really busy, but wanted to show the trunk is almost done still need to get some tabs into the back seats to hold it and work on the split between the seats.

I got her Greenbay Frame on, she wanted that for awhile. Myself I am a Cowboys fan. Still havent gotten the 4Runner one. I need to fix something for the missing bolt. Just need to get it done.

Name:  trunkalmostdone.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  63.0 KB

We have a couple of bugs here in Missouri. Just washed yesterday. Cant tell though.
Name:  Greenbay.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  88.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-15-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GREAT JOB! Love watching this thing come to completion! (while, surely, you know it will NEVER END! muahahahahaha! ) hahaha.

Curious... gonna pull back up the carpet and do the fenderwells?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hey Chef.. I tried to lay it in one piece and it just bunched up. So I tried cutting a piece for each side in on piece. It still had wrinkles.

This time I think I will try cutting the fenderwells into a top piece and side pice and if it looks good I will glue them to the fenderwells.

3rd time is the charm. Right?? lol

Do get to do my first repair on it since getting it going. The clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Got the part, just need to get it done. When I did it on my flatbed it was 10 minute job if the bolts come loose easily.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4Runner looks great on the outside, Glad your doing the interior cleaning up, I hate animal hair in the carpeting, I'm not a fan of red or the burgandy interiors, it wouldn't stop me from buying a great toy with those interiors, but first thing I would do would be to swap interiors for any other color but them, but that just me :}LOL I'm a subscriber!So I'm keeping track of your work :}
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Sounds good, Terry.... Bottom line? YOU WILL make it work, NICELY! lol. No doubt in that, seriously.

I love the carpet I have for the rig... but it's only enough for the front or back seats, possibly just the very rear(don't think it's wide enough for the rear).... Anyway, ...I kinda wanted to switch it all to charcoal, rather than that Gray that it is.... HIDES THINGS, YA KNOW? LOL.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello john4wd..Red wasnt my first choice of colors but it is starting to grow on me. I still have yet to see one with a red interior and that is even including the bone yards. Things have slowed down a little but this truck will never be done. Still got alot of things to add to it. It has been a fun build and a great learning experince. I have been following your thread. You are doing a great job.

Hello Chef..Thanks and you are right, I will get it eventually. Just been tied up on a few other things. The wife is actually trying to get with one of her friends who used to do interiors. Hoping she gets it down and if nothing else, just good enough to do my projects.

The runner has been running great. The wife left the headlights on and ran the battery down when she was at work. Had to go give it a jump start but other wise has been fine. One of my widow seal track the window rides in likes to get off centered and I have to roll the window down and recenter it. Not quite sur how to fix it. Everytime I think I have it, it eventually jumps track again. I will keep working on that problem.

It is fun to drive and really enjoy it. It does need Cruise Control, but other wise no other complaints.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:43 AM

Just checking in Terry. Good to see you've kept up the steady progress. I've seen a fair amount of 4runners with red interiors, so possibly more of them were sold in Canada, or at least in my area. Not as many as the grey ones, but still a handful. I'm glad to hear the colour is growing on you. I've always preferred the grey interior, as well, but your truck is looking better every time I look. Cheers!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Hey Buddy...... maybe throw an Isolator in there? (Heck, wouldn't suck to have dual batteries for it, either, eh? lol)..... Mine alwaysssssssss worked... If I was camping, drunk(when I used to drink), playing music for hours on high volume.... my stereo model had a warning that would clip out in flashes, then beep really loud when it hit 11.5 volts. I also had an isolator that would shut off the battery in the white runner. This way, even if I walked off with something on all day.... I could come back and have a full charged battery. Only thing is that, you have to turn off the key and then on again to reset(some systems work differently... You have to manually reset them). And I DID NOT install it, so don't ask me what brand, etc., lol.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Dutchbelly.. I really dont see to many red ones on here either. With a fresh interior I am starting to like really well.

Hello Chef.. I might look into something like that if it happens again. First time in a long time. She was lucky. I dropped my cell phone into acup of tea and having nothing but problems. I ned to just go get another one.

I got my shifter boot in that Nervo told me about. Was going to install it when I did my transfer case. Was going to do it the other day and then I had a tooth to break up and had to go get it pulled. So that got it put off oagain. I have all of the parts, just got to get the time to get done.

I have gotten some of the other things that I been needing to get done, out of the way so should be able to get back on this soon.

I am really satisfied with quality of the boot. Thanks Nervo.
Name:  88shifterboot.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  29.1 KB
Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thought I would give an update on the 4runner. Has been doing great and really have been enjoying driving it. I dont get to drive as much as I used to as the wife took it over and really likes it. Did get some seat covers in it for now. Not real happy with them but guess it looks better then it did.

Her and a friend are still trying to get together to redo the seats. Her friend used to do them and has a sewing machine for auto upholstery.
Name:  seatcovers1.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  42.4 KB
Name:  seatcovers2.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  49.1 KB
Name:  seatcovers3.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  53.1 KB
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

With the recent cold weather we have been having, I have had 2 problems. On the 4Runner it is hard starting on cold mornings. I am sure it is the Cold Start Injector or circuit. I havent looked into it just yet, but if there is a quick fix, I would appreciate it. I will be able to figure it out when I get the time to look into it.

The other problem is on my flatbed/ my avatar and I cannot find anything on this one. It is coming up with a Check Engine Light Code 46. I dont have it listed in my Haynes and I can promise I have looked all over the net and Yotatech for this code. The truck runs great, just the light flashes.

I know I am jumping Te and E1 one right. I have done this many times and have helped several others do this diagnostics/timing wire trick.

When searching, I have used CEL 46, Toyota 46, in several different ways in Google and Yotatech. This one has me stumped. I will look it up myself if just pointed in the right direction. I have found this code for everythign else but Toyota.

I am going to spend more time searching this Code 46 but may have to post a question on the Homepage.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-10-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Maybe you'll slap me, ...but I'll say it anyway, hahaha........>>>>>>>>>, "Maybe it's a Code 4 and a Code 6, separately?" >>>>>>> BUT, I had an 88 ECU in my 87 Rig for a short time(the yard had marked it as an 87 4Runner ECU, but it was really an 88)...and it threw codes all over the place up into the 70's. Are you getting 4 flashes, then a pause, then 6 flashes?

Please don't be mad, lol... I figured, maybe you've been stuck in 88 mode for a while now and forgot the 87 is much different in reading CEL codes? lol. Oh well, worth a try, right? lol.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Chef..lol... I feel like an idiot, You are right 87 and 88 are different. I am stuck in 88 mode. For some reason I went straight to the 88 and up. I was thinking the 86 and down were codes 1-14. Doh!!

I wouldnt get mad, no worry there. Wife ask how come I never get mad or have a bad day. Things dont always go as I would like and there are frustrations that I get just like everyone else it is just how you deal with it.

I am a blessed guy and I know it. I am definitely NOT the big cheese at a major corporation. I am $1200 from being back down to a house payment again. Most of that is doctor bills for the kiddos and they are healthy again. Wife support me in my hobby and is great. Today went by to fast. Bring on tomorrow.

My camping trips in the desert, getting laid off, being bed ridden for back surgery for weeks on end, getting a paycheck and being broke before even getting to cash it. That sucks.

My neighbor has been living bad. Cheated on her husband,drugs, alcohol. Got busted drunk on the job and getting fired. Now has no heat, no electric, was in foreclosure probably will be again, and uses a candle for lights at nite and it is getting down to freezing tonite. Cops are always over there. All of us here are so ready for her to go. Not like we havent tried to help her out. I could have it worse.

Got to thinking about you today. Thursday is my day off and its my day to cook. I helped in hurricane Gustav in Louisiana and really got to try Cajun food and love it. Today I wanted Cajun and made Cajun Ham Skillet Gumbo. When I told the her what I was cooking she was less then thrilled. To be honest I figured I would have better luck making bologna sandwiches. It turned out great. Even my oldest who doesnt like anything liked it. Generally it turns into a failed experiment. I havent done that good in a looonnnng time.lol

Thanks again on the codes. I have spent several hours looking on the net try ing to find 46 instead of 4 and 6. Glad I didnt post a question on the home page. Thanks a million.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Hahaha.. well, C'EST LA VIE, Buddy! lol. Cool, you've got an angle on it, now, right? Trying to remember... 4 and 6 are major ones... Like 02 and AFM. Think 7 is the TPS.... I wont lie, I can't remember, lol.

Thanks for the insight into your life a little... Always honored when people open up to me! lol. Glad the Gumbo Skillet worked out... I'm assuming you have the "Holy Trinity" and other HARD STANDARD points of Cajun/Creole Cooking(like the multiple stages/shades of roux) engrained into your brain by now, .......right? lol.

The most common 'first thing' I have people try in regards to that style regional cooking? .......DIRTY RICE! As many know, rice IS NOT always a piece of cake to get JUST RIGHT, ....especially when you're adding 20 things to it, then cooking it in a much more hands on type way, lol. Jambalaya, Dirty Rice and Gumbo(the actual soup) are the first things people should learn in this Regional Cooking.

You like Jerk Chicken? lol
Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef..I know you are busy now with the family, hope all is going well. Still praying for you.

I got my code 46, I mean 4 AND 6 fix.lol... I had some loose connections and corrosion and cleaned them up and seems to be working fine. Thanks for the keeping me from posting and off the wall question.

For my first Gumbo cooking, I was quite proud of myself.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was out taking care of things and seen this Supra setting a salvage. I guy I know is into them and I told him I would send him some pics. I figured it was an 85. Got to looking and it was an 82. So I checked the AFM number. Wahoo. It was what I have been looking for, for a long time.

Seemed like everytime I found one someone beat me out of it or I couldnt get it at the time. This Supra had been a one owner car by a woman who really took care of it and got rear ended by a kid who was texting. Sweet car. The salvage has already had several wanting to buy it.

The 88 has been running fine, but with this cold weather has been hard starting. I figure it is the Cold Start Injector or the timing switch. I have a spare CSI and am hoping that is all it needs. I will be spending some time on the 88 here shortly and seeing what I need to do to get the 82 AFM working on it.

Name:  supraafm.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  91.3 KB

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread