86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Edited my post too, lol.... Otherwise, it would have been immortalized in my 'QUOTE', lol. Sorry bout that.
I thought it was funny, I check and recheck and somehow always miss something or it doesnt sound like what I wanted to say.

Originally Posted by jason in tn
And you said you didn't have a power sander looks like you have 3 lol. Great to see the boys out there giving you a hand, won't be long and it'll be there trucks your working on.
They useful for about a good 30 minutes usually, but if I have power tools they will stay out for a long time. Hunter already said he wanted it so I plan on giving it to him when he gets old enough. I brought Justin home in the Cutlass when he was born and want him to have it.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Dude, that pic of them helping you? PRICELESS! Man, .... I would loved to have had a son as well, ....but more just for 'having a son as well', ahhahaha... Cuz my girls were out there with me many times. BUT, not on the Yota as much... by then they were teens, interested in other things, hahahaha. They helped on my 70 CST Blazer lots though.... They was lil'r than those dudes then, lol.

Great pics! Keep up the good work
We tried for a girl and no luck. I blame Misty. She had 9 months. One day we plan to adopt a girl. There was one little girl that we wanted that we wanted and thru the child services/foster care or what ever they call it we tried to get. Some friends were taking care of her and she was a great little girl. But the red tape and bueracracy was just to much to deal with. It is was a shame we werent able. She liked working with me and just fun to be with.

I always like the 67-72 Chevys and a Blazer would of been even nicer to have. That is one that is one of the list of number of cars I would like to have.

Great pics! Keep up the good work[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
It's good to see your boys out there helping you on your 4runner, I can't wait until my son is a little older and can give me a helping hand (he's almost 4) right now he just likes carting off my tools and digging with them, LOL. Its looking really good Terry, can't wait to see it after you get some color on it!
I get alot of help from them and I try to get them involved as much as possible. Sometimes I go back and redo their work when they arent around so they think they did it themselves. You will start finding tools out in the yard and who knows where else. But they grow up fast and know one day mom and dad arent going to be the center of their attention so I am trying now while I have the chance. Maybe they will still come around when I am more older and more seniler.lol..

I am ready to get some paint and hope will happen in the next few months. Just soon as I get one thing fixed I am ready for the next stage. As far as cost, it really isnt to much to much to being painted and driveable, just everything else that comes along and getting the time.

Originally Posted by Kitty's 4Runner
Your a good man Terry - fantastic to see the next generation of Yotalovers having a go & getting their hands dirty, your trucks are looking awesome !!
Thanks Kitty, wish the wife felt the same way when we come in.lol, Somehow we manage to bring more dirt on us then what is in the shop I think. She is glad I am working with the kiddos. I am really hoping it will keep them busy in there teenage years and hopefully make my life a little easier at the stage.

Appreciate the compliment on the trucks. One reason I like to take a ragged out truck and see what I can do with them. By the time I am done with them, I usually turned a wrench on every nut and bolt there is on them.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got some parts from Jason. One being an Igniter as mine was bad. I was using the one off of my flat bed and then having to put it back on when done working on the runner was a pain. Now I put the boat battery in it and it is so nice just being able to go out and turn the key and move it around.

Getting this truck to where I can move it out of the way has been a big hold up on me getting the 79 running. I have everything I need to get it running. But not being able to get it to where I can get the engine hoist to it has been a hold up. If everything goes as planned that thread may get some activity soon. It isnt a dead thread, just have been trying to get the 86 running as it has been my primary project and so that I can work on other repairs when needed.

I went and got 2 more gallons of gas as that was the reason it died on me when I took it on a test run awhile back. Went up hill and the gallon or so moved away from the fuel pump. I have about 3 or 4 gallons and my gas guage still hasnt moved yet so not sure if it is still so low that it isnt raising the float or if my guage is bad. Still gettin a Low Fuel Light so I am hoping it is just not enough fuel.

I do have a small issue of if the Fusible link it moved the wrong way that it will die. Probably need to just tighten everything back down. Really hoping my next couple of days off go as planned. I will be finishing the roughing in of the body work and plan on doing some body work on the 79. Wednesday or Thursday nite, I have a friend coming over and wants me to show him on his Chevy truck on doing some body work.

If all goes well, I am really hoping to get the 89 rollover here Friday. Been saving the funds up for it and holding off on getting primer and other material but they are moving up the list. Looking forward to getting it primed. I plan on putting alot of the interior out of the 89 into this one and need the interior out for priming so it will be getting stripped again to some extent. Hoping the weather holds up so I can pull the top and set it out side to get the bed edges but need to see what the weather is looking like.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
This is one of those, "I can't BELIEVE I sold that thing"...... one of many.......

70 CST Blazer; 350 4spd/4Bolt Main/38K original miles from a wife of a Marine guy who'd passed away from a massive heart attack at 50!

Sold it to help pay for going back to college at 28.. Whatcha gonna do, right? lol.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. That was a sharp truck, I bet you are still upset having to sell it but getting thru school was important. I am still kicking myself in the butt for selling a 71 GT Torino fastback. What was I thinking. I was going into the military and was planning on doing 20 years and decided it wasnt going to do any good setting for 20 years. 6 years later I got out and it still bothers me even today. I could of kept it at his house at that. The few I have seen still didnt compare to it. Dark metalic blue trimmed in black. It was sharp.Grrr.

My dad had a 50 Ford, just like ZZ Tops(Copper Head I think) and right know I am drawing a blank as to the name they gave it. I was 14 and he sold it for $300 as the floorboards were rusted out but other then that it had a small dent in the hood and it was a solid little car. I tried my best to get him to keep it. To this day he regrets selling it. He has seen what I have done with cars that needed floorboards and they have aftermarket parts for that car.

He likes the late 60s Belairs and I have tried to get him to get one and fix it up or another 50s Ford. He is a tightwad, I know he would love to have an old car and would enjoy it.

I did a 64 Chevy truck short narrow bed and had it in primer. New Chrome bumpers and grill, gas tank for the bed instead of inside the cab. 350 four bolt main rebuilt, auto tranny, new rearend. Really need just seats,carpet,and paint. I knew I wouldnt get what I had into and gave it to my father in law. He really likes it but my wonderful (sarcasm dripping from mouth) mother in law wont let him finish it up. It did good to get 10 mpg and gas went thru the roof so I was hoping he would get it finished. Maybe someday. It will get up and go.

You posted a early to mid 70s Celica when you were in a junkyard recently. I like those cars. I would love a 69 Chevelle, Mustangs,Camaros and Dodge has some hot cars. I would like to have a 55 Chevy panel wagon, they were actually built for hauling tools,lumber and such but any of these cars are high dollar for a basket case and then buying parts they know they got you.

I will always be building something. Another thing about building some of those cars, no matter how nice I build it there will be 10 others and they would all be nicer then what I could build. I have been wanting to eventually find some oddball that you just wouldnt see. I remember when I was a kid I seen a late 60s Olds Spitfire or something like that and havent seen one since that I have liked. Even thought of building a heavy work truck like a haytruck,wrecker or log truck from the 50s or 60s. This is all down the road.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the next few days off and if all goes well. I plan on getting alot of the body straight. Had a friend over at the house today and he reminded me that I had a gallon of primer at his house as that was where I painted something over there. So if all goes well I want to have alot of the runner in primer. Will have to wait and see how things go. I got high hopes for getting alot accomplished.

I did spend the day getting my runner fixed. I had probably gotten side tracked and didnt tighten the Fusible Link all the way up when I had orginally put it back togther. It was way loose. Tightend up the screw to it and can move it around and it wont die now. Really cant wait to take it on a drive hopefully soon on a back road somewhere.

Now that the weather has been warming up, I did start working on the 79s door. I had started on it before it had gotten cold and then wound up doing the white 83 I have posted in the early part of this build or the 88s build. Now that it is warm, I am planning on getting the top part of the cab finished and the rest of the 86 finished. Plan on working on one while the bondo dries on the other.

Now that I can move the 86 out of the way I am wanting to get the drivetrain in the 79 soon. Got plenty to do, just got to get the time to get it done. If things go extremely well and I can get done what I have planned it would be nice. But we know how plans go.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 AM

Yeah, love those celicas, and even the 82 and under Supras! My buddy had a Mercury Carpi(the German motor ones) and he tricked that thing out TO INSANE levels... It was SICK! Did 11.5 Second Quarter miles, over 100mph, VERY quick off the line and he had shortened the axles, tucked in 235's all around and swapped in about every 'high quality' mod you can imagine in steering/suspension, etc. Looked like this one.......But WAY more tricked out...

I would love a 94 or whatever LX 5.0 Mustang... But WOW, they know what they have and they ask for it in price! lol. GREAT CAR with a great motor, power and all, IMHO.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I like the 88 Mustangs as far as the newer style ( old now huh!!) That is one that I wouldnt mind having. My step brother has a 70 Cuda with a 440 built up alot. That is probably the quickest car I have been in. Never took it to a drag strip. But I have ran down drag strips before and know it would out do alot out there.

I have a 72 Cutlass and it is bone stock. Back in '94, I was doing 120 mph and he passed me like I was sitting still. He says since then he had it to 150 and that was the bravest he could get and it still had alot left in it. His is fun to drive stop light to stop light, but I like mine as it is comfy for long distance drives.

I have had V8s but nothing serious on power wise. I had thought of building one but then wouldnt be able to drive it. Maybe some year I might just to see what I could build. I have always liked Pintos, Vegas, Mavericks or any small car with a hot V8 in it. A friend of mine had a Chevette with a 350 in it. That thing was quick. Another had a MG with a V8. Some of them were really scary to ride in.

One friend had a 68 Chevelle wagon that was a sleeper, his mom gave it to him and he built it up. Those were good times and probably lucky to be alive now. There were the early Camaros and Trans Ams as well.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had 5 helpers today. I did get the passenger side, and hood done completely except for the nooks and crannies and need to pull the top off to get under there.

Hoping tomorrow to get the tailgate and drivers side done. I will eventually replace the drivers fender as I just dont like how the marker light is sitting. I have spent more time on it then I care to admit. Might even have it in primer and start block sanding, but after that it will be a hold up on getting it painted.

Probably start stripping it back down AGAIN...so as not to have to mask off every thing. One of these days I hope to keep it in one piece.

Was nice working outside today, had to find a shady spot but still nice.

My 5 helpers,

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-03-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Dude, ...that picture is SO COOL! Wow, ...I really need to move out of CALIFORNIA! lol. JK, but seriously... I MISS that kind of "HEY MAN, LEMME HELP YA" feel like when I lived in Spokane, WA for a couple years.

Very great of you to HELP THEM LEARN THE SATISFACTION OF HARD WORK and the reward of seeing what it turns out to be, afterward! Funny though, isn't it? These kids are living kinda hard(some of them you said, right?)... they're also taught, in school, "EVERYONE WINS, no losers" and "everyone get's a trophy'" and "You DESERVE...." this and that type entitled stuff... And between that and the 'each is entitled to equal shares of...." well, you get the point... THEY ARE CONFUSED! lol... NO WONDER! But SERIOUSLY, TERRY... look how quickly they reveal what THEY REALLY WANT TO DO? WORK WITH THEIR HANDS, HELPING, ... just for the satisfaction of saying, "Hey, i did this today, dad!" AM I RIGHT? lol.

Started changing when I was in school... But NOW? pffffffffffffffffbt! My girls would come home, start right up on 'BUT, My teacher said.....!....'..... to which I replied, interrupting them, ..."YEAH, YEAH, right... that's nice... When you take out the trash, do the dishes and finish your homework... THEN, and only then, we can DISCUSS why you're teacher might not see things the way I see them...First I gotta make your dinner and lunch for tomorrow, clean up after working to pay for your clothes and school stuff's, Gas, bills, ...........ETC.!.... And in the end, MY WAY IS LAW! I'll admit when I'm wrong, and I'm open to hearing you out... but you start with this, 'NANNEEE NANNEEE, NEENER NEENER' CRAP, right off the bat? OH HECK No!" hahaha. Guess what.... THEY ENDED UP BEING JUST LIKE THOSE BOYS! >>> LOOKING for something to do that's productive/creative! Even helping without asking.... 'LEARNED BEHAVIOR' only covers part of it, ya know? lol.

SORRY for the tangent... it's just, ...that picture really moved me, man! I'd love to adopt a son.... maybe even have one... I just can't seem to make time to even date, ...so I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see! hahaha.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. When I win the lottery that I never play, I plan on getting back out on a farm where I was raised. That will keep the kids busy and plenty of work but is enjoyable. I so wish I would of moved out in the country. It would be some good for the kiddos. Have a place to store more future projects.lol.

My wife works in Headstart and comes home with bruises from some of these kids. It is unreal what they will say. Now they have to use Conscious Displine whatever that is . I know when I was in school it was called a Paddle and when I got home, dad had some conscious discipline for me too. Woowee!! Solved any problems I may had. It worked.

I have already camped out in the 86 as we have a 16 year old running around causing all kinds of problems. Cops are just waiting for him to turn 17. Everybody in the neighborhood is so ready for him to go. Unfortuantely his mom is worthless and the odds are stacked against him, I was at one time willing to help him out,but I even got tired of his destruction to us and all of the neighbors. He is just trouble.

I had a drop light under the runner and all kinds of good things sitting out, tools, paint, gas cans, bikes, anything I could think of that looked tempting and was hoping he thought I just left the door open. He wasnt out that nite apparently and lucked out.

Have caught 2 in the past setting traps living out in the country that way.

My Grandpa got tired of his gas getting stolen and had some sugar rigged in one can. Never happened again.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-10-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Starting on the tailgate. Real suprised that I only have 3 small dings. The rear bumper will be coming off. I want a factory bumper on it.

I know have Power Steering. Just got done adding nearly a quart as I never added any fluid before when I first got it running. I jacked the front end up and was begining to think the pump was bad and it finally started working. I need to fix the exhaust and it should pass inspection. I do have a water leak and could be a hose. Havent looked into it.

All goes well I might start priming today.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM

I KNOW you're very well read on all this... So just making sure, not meaning to insult; You added ATF-Dextron 3, right? I'm not insulting ya, because....?>>>> cuz I BLEW MY GEAR BOX adding steering fluid! hahahaha.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. It actually calls for Dextron 2 but I just found out today, you can no longer get 2. I got the 3. Guess it is better then the old stuff. I think I even seen Dextron 5.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM

YEP, ... cool!~ ~ ..... I remember the parts counter guy knowing about this stuff, ...... and he read the back and showed how one is more compatible than the other. In my FSM, it's declarative... in the Haynes, IIRC, believe it or not, it has updated that and added, "Dextron 2, or 3 when 2 is not available". The guy said, "I remember studying that 'dextron 5 is not the way to go', doesn't create enough pressure, ...something"...

Anyway, glad you got that back, FHEW! lol.... HATE non-power steering, ... especially around town/round the house/driveways/parking lots/parking/ ETC.! lol.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got everything done. I am hoping I have enough primer to get one coat on. At least get one on for protection and in one color. Know comes the fun stuff. I am going to start getting all of the trim and such stripped. All of the tote bins I had for storage of engine parts is now going to get used for trim.

A few dings by the tail light that isnt showing. No major dents, but sometime the small ones can be a real pain also as they are easy to miss. I think I got all of them. Block sanding should hel[p me find any I may have missed.

Got the tailgate done. With my jumper wire on the switch made getting the trim off easy. I dont know how you would remove the trim without getting inside the gate. Ones I could not get are the holders for the bottom of the license plate. I will just paint around them and have a trim that will go around the plate also.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 AM

NICE! Great having a 5 man crew on top of you, eh? hehehe.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the backend all stripped, will post later for my own refernce, but while waiting for filler to dry, I did do a small upgrade. I found this on a Youtube Video and posted in a previous post.

I do alot of boating and will be backing down ramps that have deep water and submerge my axle. We have alot of low water abridges also. I will go back and add clamps but want to get the idea across. The pipe fitting is off of a 22re Plenum and will route the hose to my gastank support with the vent zipped to the support. Will get better mounts later. Will use plumber tape on Plenum fitting. Cheap insurance.

22re Plenum fitting, 3/8th fuel line and the axle vent.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-07-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

This is for Nervo for easier visual.
Passenger Side.

Drivers Side
Old 05-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark,... It did help in a way.lol.. They actually got alot of the smaller things done. I learned a lesson today. Well I knew it but still goofed. I was using an Impact wrench to get the bumper bolts off and got my finger caught between the wrench and frame when I hit the impact wrench button. Wow that hurt. What was I thinking??
Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM

YEAH, ...what WERE you thinking, eh? hehehe... OUCH, MAN! Be careful! lol.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance