86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Robert_david6's 1990 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robert_david6's 1990 4Runner Build-Up Thread

So I am sorta new to this forum but I am not new to toyota's. My first vehicle was a 1989 4runner Auto, 3.slow. I loved it but i could not afford 12 mpg in college, so I sold it. but I vowed to own another 1st gen 4runner! I have gone through a few different vehicles since then none of them as fun or as reliable as my 4runner. So when my last truck decided to crap out on me I started looking for a good vehicle. At first I wanted a crown vic cop car, but while I was looking I found a 2nd gen 4runner with a 22re, 5 speed, 4x4 on craigslist for $2,500. Before I could call the guy about it he dropped the price to $2,300, and by the time that I test drove it, he dropped the price to $2,100. I could not pass that deal up. so I gave him the cash and now I am here.

The truck itself is in pretty good shape, it runs good and it shifts smooth. The 4 wheel drive works, but it has the crappy auto hubs. The body is in pretty good shape a few dents and dings here and there but not bad for 20 years old, the same goes for the interior too. It is a very base model, with nothing power on it at all. It does have very cold a/c which is very good for the very hot Louisiana summers. It has 235,000 miles on the stock 22re, but it has receipts of a head gasket, and a timing chain at 195,000 miles along with a lot of suspension parts and some other things. The only problems that I have found on it so far is, it pulls pretty hard to the right, I am going to get it aligned pretty soon. When you let off of the gas going highway speeds it makes a roaring noise, I don't think its anything major, but I could be wrong. The dome light does not come on when you open the door and I have no idea why. And it has the famous 22re idle problems. I am going to try and work on getting the idle problem worked out soon because it is driving me crazy.

My plans for right now are to get the tires swapped out for the ones I have on my old truck. They are cooper cobra street tires, I really want bfg all terrains but the funding is going to be limited for the next year. I am going to install my 10 in sub and 220 watt amp, for the time being. I am graduating from college in May and I am getting married in November, so I should be broke for.... The rest of my life....

My future, Future plans are to get some new rear coils for the back, maybe some off of a fj80, and ball joint spacers, rock sliders, some 31's maybe 33's, New wheels, tint, a lot better sound system, a selectable rear locker, and a rebuilt 22re with some go fast goodies.

Well enough rambling, here are some pictures. And if anyone has any input about any of the problems that I am having, they would be greatly appreciated.

my old 4runner after a fun day of wheeling

Cleaned up, I sure do miss this truck.

Last edited by Robert_david6; 01-26-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Well after having my truck for over a week, some not so good things have popped up. The first thing that I started noticing was that the clutch was slipping, so next week I am going to attempt to change a clutch for the first time. If anyone has any tips for a first timer please let me know.

Today I started searching to find some information on the roaring when I am coasting, I am pretty sure that its the pinion bearings, from what I have found searching the forums. I am probably going to replace either the entire 3rd member, or the entire rear axle. There is a pull-a-part that is pretty close to my house, and they have 7 2nd gen 4runners hopefully one of them will be a 4x4.

I was also having some idle issues, but I think that I fixed it by turning the idle screw down, but there was also a coolant leak, and maybe that was causing it to idle bad. All I know is its idling good, right now...

I am pretty sure once I get the clutch, third member, and alignment fixed it will be a very solid truck. I still think that I got a really good deal on the truck...
Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Honestly, if there's an idle problem, and a bad clutch... Id do a rebuild. 22RE's are all over the place and pretty damn cheap. Then you'll know every inch of your truck. Just my opinions, but good ones I've been told.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM

i wouldnt base a rebuild off of a "bad idle" a bad idle could be as simple as a spark plug...

whoever told you to rebuild your motor when it gets a bad idle was probably a shady mechanic taking you to the cleaners...

"Mechanic: Yeah looks like the left headlight is out, might as well get a new wire harness while your at it...and maybe an air freshener too" Same concept. Bad advice.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Sorry I have not updated this in a few days, I have been out of the country. Yeah, I did not rebuild the motor, just replaced the clutch. I started on Saturday afternoon and with the help of my friends, finished it up on Sunday afternoon and that was with stopping for food, band practice, and church. Honestly it was not that hard, getting the two top bolts on the bell housing was a pita, and stabbing the tranny was not so fun, but all in all a lot easier than rebuilding the motor... I had to get it done before school started back so I went ahead and got the perfection clutch kit from advance auto. I wanted to get the aisin kit from wabfab but they could not promise that it would make it to me on time, and also it was about $30 cheaper with a new flywheel. I am going to rebuild the motor in the next 4 to 5 years, and when I do that I am going to replace the clutch with a heavy duty one.

The next thing on the agenda is to get some new shoes, I really want 33's but I have to drive to New Orleans from Baton Rouge two times a week and I just don't know if I can justify the mpg drop with stock gears. So I think I am going to go with 31's but I am not 100% sure yet.

I have also been thinking about going with retread tires from tread wright. I have read nothing but great reviews about them and seeing as I am to poor to buy real BFG's this might be the best option for me.

I really want the BFG all terrains but for 160 a pop, retreads seem like a great option. The Tread Wright Warden tire is the exact same tire as the BFG's, and you can get the tires with BFG casings, so you wont be able to tell that its not the real thing. I am not in a big hurry to get new tires seeing as the ones that are on there should last me for a few months. I also want to get some new wheels, but I am not sure what kind I am going to get yet. My friend has two black 15x10 wagon wheels that I could probably get from him, so maybe I will get two more and call it a day. I am also on the lookout for a set of aisin hubs and maybe some cruiser coils.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice trucks I had an '88 4runner in the same color as your '90

Post up the idle problem symptoms. Im sure we can help
Old 01-13-2011, 05:17 PM

I am pretty sure that I fixed the idle problem for now. It had a coolant leak and the idle screw was up a little high. It was also leaking oil outof the rear diff, I replaced the front pinion seal yesterday, so lets hope that took care of the problem.

I miss my 1st gen so much, I really wanted to get another 1st gen. But a 2nd gen with a 22re, 4x4, and a 5 speed is to good and rare to pass up, plus having 4 doors is better for me right now. But wouldn't you know that not even a month after I bought this truck, a 1985 1st gen is for sale on craigslist. 20,000 miles on a freshly rebuild 22re, new tires and in really good shape for $3,000 oh well I'm still happy.

do you guys think that black wheels would look good on my truck?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Leaking pinion seals can also be caused by pressure within. Make sure your vent isn't rusted solid or caked full of dirt.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM

I know its been a while since I updated this thing but I am in school and I am taking 8 classes, so needless to say I am busy. I finally got the 4runner fixed. After I replaced the clutch I drove it to New Orleans once, and I blew out the rear passenger axle seal. I replaced the seals on both sides. When I replaced the seals I noticed that the bearings where toast too, so I got a used set of axle shafts off of a junk truck. I had to pull of the third member and put some new rtv on it. I also had to get a new breather valve because there was not one on the truck.

well for the first time since I bought the truck I have been able to drive it regularly. I have really been enjoying it. Next thing on my list is to get some new tires and wheels. Then some rear coil springs to lift the rear. Now I am ready to go have some fun with the 4 wheel drive soon
Old 09-09-2011, 05:34 AM

I finally went and "tested" the 4 wheel drive on my truck. It works great, I could really use a locker, but more than that I need a better set of tires. I did not even make it through the second hole and I got stuck bad.

I really want to start getting more things done on my truck, but I am currently in Brazil, and I wont be home until November. Well anyway, here are some pictures of my truck after my little off road excursion.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just got done reading your buuild. I dont see where you got your domelight fixed yet. On mine, the dome light goes through the door open alarm buzzer box. Not sure about 90, but some people take the buzzer out, thus losing their dome light.

Truck is looking grera.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 PM

So I will finally be going home in two weeks! I can tell you I really miss driving my ol yota! Being in Brazil has not stopped me from my daily routine of checking Craigslist for goodies.

On Wednesday I checked and I saw a set of "new" 32 inch BF Goodrich km2's for $400! I knew that they were gone by now because they were posted on Monday. But the next day the guy re-uploaded the post and I asked my mom to pick them up for me. So when I get home I have some nice KM2s waiting for me! Before I left for Brazil I picked up 2 15x10 white wagon wheels for cheap. If I don't find some locally, I am going to get two new ones and paint all of them gunmetal. This thing is going to look sweet! And no more getting stuck in the first mud hole!!

The only pics that I have don't really show the tread that well, but from what I see they do look relatively new. Score!!!