86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Robert_david6's 1988 SR5 4runner build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robert_david6's 1988 SR5 4runner build up thread

Well, I sold my 90 4runner back in February, due to some major transmission problems (still sold it for 1,400 more than I paid for it). I got a newer honda CR-V that was more reliable, got better MPG, bla bla bla. I still had the itch and I would not be happy until a 1st gen 4runner was sitting in my driveway... I was planning on getting a motorcycle but I talked myself out of it due to my wife and I needing 2 vehicles, that we could both drive in a pinch.

So I started looking. I almost picked up a 88 for 5,000 it was light metallic blue, and really nice looking on the outside, but the interior was junk. It was way over priced and the guy did not have the title in his hand (long story). So I kept looking, and thus good Lord shown down upon me with a beautiful 88 4runner SR5, power everything, with the contour door panels, sunroof, and most importantly a 22re!! My first 4runner had the 3vze in it and I despised it!

Anyway back to the important part. Like I said, its a 88 SR5, Loaded, Power, sunroof.... I picked this little beauty up in Houston from a guy that bought it in 2009 and drove it a little over 1000 miles since then. When I went to his house he was showing me his vintage jeep CJ, and a Bentley was sitting in the garage.... So yeah, I believe he was rich. He had a stack of receipts, two repair books, original brochure, new (cheap) front valence, replacement power window motor, climate control linkage, two climate control face plates, original distributor cover, and two of the matchbox die cast toy cars. interior has recently been reupholstered, and it in really good shape. The only things in the interior that do not work is the passenger side power widow, cruise control, 2 out of 4 speakers, and the linkage on the climate control is binging, so no heat, or defrost for me until I fix it... It came with the stock technic's tape player that still worked! I gotta bust out my Vanilla Ice cassette and rock out!! Yes, it still has the back head rests and original sunroof cover!!

I am very happy with the interior and will probably not change much, for now. The material on the seats are not my favorite, but it will do for now. Now for the not so good part... It was originally the charcoal gray, but the owner before the previous owner painted it dark blue.. And they did not do a good job. It looks like a macco job, they just taped off and sprayed. They sprayed over dents, and imperfections. So one day I will repaint it the original color, but until then the dark blue will work.
The PO had the head replaced with a remanned head, replaced the gasket, all of the hoses, water pump, radiator, all new power steering components, pump gear box, etc.. It does have grandpa running boards, and they will be gone very soon, but my wife likes them, So I guess I need some sliders...
I think that is about it, Here is my short list of things to do, It will get bigger because I do not plan on selling it.... ever!! I really just want a clean DD, that I can work on and enjoy for years to come.

First thing will be to fix the broken things, then the sound system... It sucks, so I will get all new speakers, and will replace the head unit. The PO did throw in a Clarion double din with the sale, so ill probably throw that in today. Then suspension... new shocks, ZUK mod, and crank the torsion bars back down, if they are cranked, and I think they are... Soft top, sequoia/tundra limited 17" wheels, tread wright tires, sound proof, manual hubs, factory paint job, rock sliders, re-gear, and a toyota e-locker for the rear. I cant think of anything else off the top of my head. I know there will be more, and when something breaks, Ill fix it. Maybe one day Ill go crazy and drop a 1uz in it. But that day is far away... I am really happy with this truck, and I am going to keep this thread updated anytime I do something to it, not just for you guys but for me to see my progress. Anyways here are the pictures the owner sent to me, ill get some more pics today or tomorrow.
Enjoy, and tell me what you think.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 AM

So I have been driving the 4runner around for the last few weeks, and all I can say is this thing is awesome!! However, there are some issues. 1st and foremost auto hubs suck!!!! Having to drive to get them to engage is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of!! I sorta got stuck in my friends front yard, and I had to be pulled out by a stinkin ford... Anyway enough of my ranting, Aisin hubs are in my near future. Also i think that maybe my dashpot is junk, when I come to a stop it idles around 1800 and if i bump the gas it will drop down. I am going to try and take the dashpot off, and hopefully that will solve this mystery.

I scraped the grandpa running boards, and put the new head unit in right after I got it. But I have not been able to do anything else do to all of this rain! Yesterday was my the first day since I got the thing where the sun was shinning all day.

Sunday and monday are going to be completely dedicated to the 4runner. I am going to swap the heater controls, becuase the original one is binding and I cannot get the temperature leaver and the actual control lever to move, put the front valence on, paint the L trim on the hard top. and whatever else I can get into before it gets dark.

I am really loving this truck, I clocked 20 mpg on the last tank, and I think I can get it better.

New speakers are going to be ordered next, only one speaker is working currently, and that will not cut it.

Here are some pictures that I took yesterday.

Name:  IMG_3430_zps0784afb5.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  167.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3431_zpsf400efbb.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  174.5 KB

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  155.4 KB

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  171.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3435_zps95292535.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3428_zps3e7cda87.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3427_zpsba7e204a.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3440_zpsebe2b04d.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3441_zps0153250f.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  62.0 KB

Oh yeah! factory sunroof cover...
Name:  IMG_3444_zps95555492.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  32.5 KB

Some of the things it came with

Two factory HVAC control covers, and the actual controls. The one that is in there now is shot.
Name:  IMG_3421_zps4d9809ea.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  99.7 KB

Original brochure, and two of the matchbox toys!
Name:  IMG_3422_zps78c4b6dd.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  111.3 KB

And a stack of receipts
Name:  IMG_3424_zpsecbcac41.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  64.5 KB
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM

That thing is so clean, loaded and complete I would keep that as a restore and buy something not so nice to drive, modify and beat on!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A great looking runner. With a little work, they can be made fun to drive. Seen you are getting ready to do the heater cables. Thought I would post a link to help make it a little easier. Link>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...9/index19.html
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice runner man!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM

sharp runner. my story is similar to yours with TUCK, the 86 4Runner I found in October.
[IMG][/IMG]subscribing!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the nice comments! I love this truck, and yes I almost feel like its two clean to drive, but that is not going to stop me!! I don't plan on doing any extreme off roading in it, just maybe some simple trails, and maybe the beach once a year. My plan is to drive it, and over the years restore it, while giving it some newer features.

It stopped raining and the sun came out, so I popped the sunroof and top off. I also got the screws to put the front valance on, I got paint that matches, but that will have to wait a few days. Still have to do the heater controls. Last weekends I made $400, so almost all of that will go in the truck.

Name:  image_zpsff6234d9.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  138.1 KB

Last edited by Robert_david6; 01-21-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM

very nice pick, wish mine was that nice on the inside!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM

Last weekend I put the new HVAC controls in, took me about 2 hours. It probably took about 30 minutes just to get that stupid vent off. Btw Terry, you are the man, without your videos, and pictures, I would still be shivering in the morning.

Anyway, heater works now, and my wife is happy. Next on the list is to put the new power window motor on the passenger side door. Got any help on that one Terry?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 AM

I almost lost the truck yesterday! I was backing into a parking spot, and as I was backing into my spot I heard the power steering pump moan, and I lost all power steering. I looked up, and saw white and black smoke billowing from under the hood. I popped the hood, and there was a fire! I grabbed my jacked and started to try and put it out. Took a little while, but I got it out before it got out of hand and any thing major burnt.

Thankfully the only casualties was a wire loom, two of the spark plug wires, and what caused the fire, and very large power steering fluid leak. I am just so happy, and lucky that my truck did not burn to the ground. And the sad part it, I was going this week to get my in truck supplies (flashlight, fire extinguisher, tow strap..ect) So hopefully this weekend, Ill get a chance to fix all the damage, and get her back on the road.

Ill post some pics of the carnage when I get home from work, and hopefully you guys can give me some tips to get this thing fixed.

Last edited by Robert_david6; 02-04-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:51 PM

I know its been a very long time since I updated this thread, but life comes at you fast.

One of the reasons things stopped happening on the 4runner is because I finally got my motorcycle, and that has been taking a lot of my time and my money... I also got a new job, so there has been a little bit more money coming in since them. I pretty much have the bike fixed up the way I want it for now, so my focus has returned to the 4runner. I have been rummaging through the junk yards around my house and I have been getting some great scores.

First was a set of Aisin hubs for $20, second was a 2nd gen 4runner steering wheel for $10, a set of jeep cherokee coil springs for $30. Oh and just a TRD supercharger for a 3.4 for $40!!! I'm hoping to make some money on this supercharger to put back in the 4runner.

I already put the steering wheel on, and the ZUK mod. Some new Bilstein shocks are going to be ordered soon, as well as ball joint spacers. Also in the next month or two, a body lift. I'm not sure if I'm going to go 2 or 3 inches, but I want to do a drivetrain lift so i might go 3 inches. For tires Im going to go with 285/75/16 treadwright wardens, and 16x10 inch raceline renegade 6 wheels in black. I really hope to get this all done before summer, but things can change in a heartbeat.

Ill post some pictures of the zuk mod and the steering wheel tomorrow.